Old April 11, 2001, 05:28   #1
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

Local Time: 20:15
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Impassable Terrain (incl. Air units)?
I'm aware that you can make impassable terrain in scenarios where there are no player-controlled air units by placing an invisible air unit over the square in question - but is there any way of placing such a square when the player does have air units?

At the moment, I'm trying to make stars, which occupy resource squares and which cannot be occupied by player's units, HOWEVER the player's city squares can still make use of the star square for resources. I've done this by giving the star unit a diplomat function (which means that the city resources is not repelled by it) and giving it a high defence and hit point rating (meaning that anybody flying into it is almost certainly killed).

How would I go about making this terrain truly impassable? How would I stop an airborne terrain-blocking unit from crashing after every few turns?
Old April 11, 2001, 14:11   #2
Exile
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 19:15
Try posting this question down on the Spanish Civ2 site forum or on the SLeague forum, you might receive a quicker answer. Henrik knows how to do it--he created just such units for me in one of my own scenarios. Works great.

Salutations,
Exile
Old April 11, 2001, 14:22   #3
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Local Time: 01:15
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I'm afraid that I don't
Not whitout using the air unit flag. I didn't know about the diplomacy thing myself though.
Couldn't you make them air units whit a high defence?
That would mean that no land or sea units could attack it and all air units that attacks would certainly be killed.
That's the best I can come up whit
Old April 11, 2001, 15:07   #4
Eyn
Warlord

Local Time: 00:15
i'm not sure it's work but...
how many civs do you use in your scenario ?
if u use a max of 6 civs, use 7th civ units on these terrain
and 7th civ: allied with all civs and the "if negotiation" event option between this civ and others. So even aircraft couldn't attack these units.
Old April 12, 2001, 06:01   #5
Mercator
Emperor

Local Time: 02:15
What's actually the problem? What doesn't work about your airborne-diplomatic-high-defense-zero-movement-units?
If those defense units have a movement rate of 0, a number of turns in air larger than 1, and are barbarian property, you're problems should be solved.
Old April 12, 2001, 13:18   #6
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

Local Time: 20:15
I like the "7th allied civ" idea. I was aware that some scenarios (such as the Verne scenario on FW CD) do put down a 7th tribe purely for use as an "exotic unit owner" tribe. Allying them to all 6 other nations is a good idea.

At the moment, the problem is that Stars litter the galaxy and craft can fly into them and die. It's not too much of a problem if you're a smart human, but the dumb computer AI always attacks them.

Old April 18, 2001, 10:29   #7
Mercator
Emperor

Local Time: 02:15
quote:

At the moment, the problem is that Stars litter the galaxy and craft can fly into them and die. It's not too much of a problem if you're a smart human, but the dumb computer AI always attacks them.

I think that problem can be solved. If you make the defense value sufficiently high (say, 80), even the AI won't attack them. I'm quite sure Harlan Thompson has done this effectively in several of his scenarios.
Old April 21, 2001, 21:47   #8
HisMajestyBOB
Warlord

Local Time: 19:15
I believe the AI won't usually attack units w/ 9 hp and 9 fp. the good part about this, if it works, is that you can still use all 7 civs.

------------------
Long live the King!