Old November 20, 2001, 02:09   #1
Ned
King

Local Time: 09:08
Local Date: October 31, 2010
XP Hard Crash
I upgraded to XP Home. Now I have a hard crash, and many soft crashes, which seem more frequent with the no-CD hack. The hard crash occurs in my current game when I attack Dawn of the Planet with a Shard Dragonshere. Fungboy does not have airpower, so I do not believe the problem is the interceptor problem.

I disabled the mousewheel to no effect.

More on my computer: Dell P4 Dimension 8100. I have the most recent bios upgrade. ATI Radeon DDR (AGP) 32. Santa Cruz audio. 384 megs of RAM. All drivers upgraded to XP.

I see others here have a problem with XP Pro. I assume the problem with XP Home and XP Pro are common. So, if you guys have a solution for XP Pro, let me know.

I have tried disabling all other processes and have also tried changing the resolution. No affect on the problem.

I can e-mail the game to anyone who would like to see it.

Ned
Old November 21, 2001, 23:00   #2
Ned
King

*** BUMP ***

No answers.

Let me try this instead. Does anyone have SMACx working on XP without crashes?

Ned
Old November 22, 2001, 01:56   #3
SITS
King

Local Time: 17:08
Have you upgraded your chip as well? There is something in the readme about something like 'forceoldvoxel' that you can set for new chips like the P4.

I hope it isn't a common problem as I'm about to upgrade.
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old November 22, 2001, 03:48   #4
Ned
King

Sits, I discovered "that" problem about a year ago when I first got my P4. This is a new problem one gets with XP, which is the operating system one now gets with all new computers. We are all going to eventually have to use this system.

BTW, I have not had any crashes with my second game. This game varies from my first game in two ways. First, I have not used the no-CD hack. Second, I am operating on a Huge world, where my last game was on world four times larger than that.

Ned
Old November 22, 2001, 10:50   #5
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 12:08
Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
First, I have not used the no-CD hack.
Ned
I have heard some RUMORS about general anti piracy features in XP.
Old November 22, 2001, 13:29   #6
Ned
King

Lefty, Interesting. I will complete my current game with the CD ASAP and report back on crashes. Ned
Old November 23, 2001, 17:02   #7
Ned
King

Completed the game. Not one single crash!

Well, so much for the no-CD hack!

Ned
Old November 25, 2001, 02:21   #8
Ned
King

Next game lots of crashes - with the CD. The only difference is the map size. This one is 256x256. The crashes are hard and repeatable. One involved moving a transport away from the top edge of the map. Go figure.

Ned
Old November 25, 2001, 03:02   #9
SITS
King

Local Time: 17:08
Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
Next game lots of crashes - with the CD. The only difference is the map size. This one is 256x256. The crashes are hard and repeatable. One involved moving a transport away from the top edge of the map. Go figure.

Ned
I've had that crash before at the edge of the map on Windows ME - in the end I just left the unit there...
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old November 25, 2001, 17:22   #10
Ned
King

Turns out, all units trying to exit from the top of the map caused the fault. I was able to recover, though, by simply putting the unit on full automatic. It exited on its own, and I then resumed control.

SITS. If you had the error on ME, was it also on a map larger than HUGE?

Ned
Old November 27, 2001, 13:51   #11
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 10:08
I've been running on XP for five days now - only crash I've had was the uniy stall at the top of the screen. Just went back 2 turns into autosave and did't move it there

(It too was a 256 x 256 map)

Not running the nocd crack, though

G
Old December 4, 2001, 14:57   #12
Ned
King

Well, I completed a game with a Huge map with no crashes whatsoever. I am now playing on a 200x200 map. I am not getting crashes when a unit exits the map top, but I am getting crashes whenever an interceptor scrambles. I tried disabling the wheelmouse. No change. I tried changing resolutions. No change. I also tried changing the zoom to max zoom in. This worked, but only once.

I had similar problems with SMAC until version 4.0, and on SMACx under Windows 98 with my older PII from Dell. I had no problem at all with this P4 computer from Dell using Windows ME.

This is a real tough problem I suspect most of us will face as we upgrade our systems to XP.

Do you think that Firaxis will ever fix this bug?

Ned
Old December 4, 2001, 18:06   #13
Deimos
Prince

Local Time: 12:08
Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
Do you think that Firaxis will ever fix this bug?
Yep. Right after the Cubs win the World Series.