Old November 20, 2001, 08:04   #1
Dry
Prince

Local Time: 19:09
Local Date: October 31, 2010
World map: my first euro feeling
I played yesterday my first civ3 game on the huge world map and my surprise was great.
I started in Europe and played only untill 300AD, so this is only a first feeling.

1. Not a single river in whole Europe. No fresh water, no irrigation. I had to irrigate from the lake Onega or ... the black sea. Yes, the Black Sea: fresh water From there to Germany, France and Spain.

2. What happened to the Germanic Forest ? Wipe out by some meteor? Not a single tree in Germany, only dry plains (and grassland in the north).

3. I always learned that the Romans wheat granaries were: Sicily, Egypt, Spain and Colchidiae (Crimea). Sicily: not on the map but there is a whale in the nearby, so ok; Egypt: not seen yet; Spain: full with forests; Crimea: dense forest also

4. Iron in Norway. Yes there is. One... and 2 in Finland

5. Spain. Spain was for the Romans kind of Wonderland. Full with all kinds of food and ore. Spain is made only of forest, 1 grassland and 1 mountain. Not a single food bonus or gold ore

6. Gold in Switzerland. Today, in banks, yes! But in 4000BC? Well this, to be honest, I don't know. After all there is gold most all over the world.

Today, I will try to explore a little bit more.
Will there be Oil in Rumania (from highest importance for the Nazis)? In the Caucasus (drive on Stalingrad!)
Old November 20, 2001, 09:37   #2
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 18:09
Quote:
Spain is made only of forest, 1 grassland and 1 mountain
Pretty poor when you consider Spain is the very mountainous. Are the Pyrenees in or do they appear as a "hill".
Old November 20, 2001, 10:01   #3
Dry
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Crunch
Are the Pyrenees in or do they appear as a "hill".
It is difficult to say, because the shape of the land is strange.

OK, I'll try to remember how it was:
The junction between France and the Iberian peninsula is a forest square (les Landes?); south (east and west) of this square are also forests(?), then south-south, there is this mountain square.
Old November 20, 2001, 10:46   #4
Zealot
King

Both Earth maps suck. And the main problem isn't just the geographical inaccuracy, but the outrageous lack of rivers!!
It really takes the fun of those maps!

But the geographical innacuracy is also a big flaw! I went to the editor and checked both Earth's maps, and ended to the conclusion that who made the standard size map wasn't the same person (team) who made the huge one.

The Iberean peninsula and Greenland are the perfect example of what I'm talking about!

I demand the precision of Civ 2 Earth map! Heck, even Civ 1 Earth map is more accurate!

Believe it or not, but the Earth's map was the map I used to play more often, both in Civ 1 and Civ 2! Yes, more than random maps!! So you can figure out how outraged I am with Civ 3 Earth map.
Old November 20, 2001, 10:52   #5
Zealot
King

BTW, why is this subject in the Civilizations forum? Why isn't it on the General or Stories forum?
Old November 20, 2001, 11:26   #6
Dry
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Zealot
BTW, why is this subject in the Civilizations forum? Why isn't it on the General or Stories forum?
Oops, my fault.