Old November 20, 2001, 15:49   #1
Spam Shark
Warlord

Local Time: 12:11
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Fun with Airports
Well I did a search and couldn't find anyone else mentioning this, so please forgive me if it has been.

In CIV II you could only use an airport to airlift a unit once per turn, both in and out included. It now appears that you can airlift into a city as many times as you want to as long as they come from different airports. It certainly has major implications for any war oriented Civ. If you got fifty cities with airports you can establish a city on a different continent on one turn and rush build an airport. Second turn airlift 50 units into the city. Third turn have a huge army ready to wreck havoc on your foes.

I do not remember if you could use the same airport to airlift out more than once in a turn, but I believe you couldn't.
Old November 20, 2001, 15:59   #2
TheDarkside
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

Local Time: 13:11
I don't find that to be a problem... after all, isnt that what war is about? mobilizing troops to the front lines? They gotta get there somehow! And if you look at modern militaries thats how it works. Pack troops and equipment into a C130 and ship em off
Old November 20, 2001, 16:47   #3
Spam Shark
Warlord

The thing is though you can only send out once per airport. This is a change from CIV II. I never noticed any mention of this change in the strategy guides so I bet alot of people might think they have to operate under the old rules.

I was more worried though how Settlers cannot be airlifted but tanks can in the default.
Old November 20, 2001, 17:03   #4
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 10:11
I have no problem with that.

after all, airports in the U.S. can have more than 1 plane a year land in them
Old November 20, 2001, 17:06   #5
Spam Shark
Warlord

And sometimes our Buildings. But then why only one way? Why not unlimited in and out per turn? that way you don't need to build so many.
Old November 20, 2001, 17:09   #6
CharlotteCivver
Settler

Of course they can also have more than one airplane per year take off as well, right??

Old November 20, 2001, 17:13   #7
TheDarkside
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

One thing i would change though, if i could, is to have air units only be able to re-base in cities with airports. That way, those brand new outposts in the middle of anarctica cant server as a
B-2 bomber haven to launch attacks upon the unsuspecting penguin population. (which i suppose is the only creature that can survive in some of cities the AI builds!)
Old November 20, 2001, 17:29   #8
Spam Shark
Warlord

I would have to disagree. Penguins are clever little sods in their own environment and should be handled with extreme prejudice.
Old November 20, 2001, 17:42   #9
sachmo71
Warlord

Local Time: 11:11
And they eat fish, so you don't need to irigate the land (guess you can't anyway). I think that if airports are going to allow only one out, then they should only allow one in also. Another solution, IF they get air superiority fixed, and you want to fly 50 units in per turn, enemy fighters in range should have a chance to intercept and shoot the poor bastards out of the sky. Of course, I would settle for being able to intercept bombers, but who's counting...

Old November 20, 2001, 17:54   #10
Blaupanzer
lifer
Emperor

Personally I like this difference. Multiple outs would cause the shifts of whole armies, something the AI gets confused about (equals nightmare programming; equals human advantage). Multiple ins is not such a hassle to program (or not program, depending on how you look at it).

Quote:
Originally posted by Spam Shark
I was more worried though how Settlers cannot be airlifted but tanks can in the default.
What default? I lift settlers all the time, haven't altered anything from the original settings.