Old August 5, 2000, 20:38   #1
Echolan
Settler

Local Time: 22:41
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I'm ticked off at my copy of Civ II: MGE...
okay... I've been running civ II MGE successfully for... what... 1 1/2 years on my old compaq P133 with Win95, now i get a new comp and i try to install it on my dell PIII 800 running Win98 and i get a crapload of errors during installation and the autoplay crashes before it even starts, i get a damnable "Program has performed an illegal operation" error as soon as i put my cd in the frickin' drive. What is the problem? is this game incompatible with PIII or Win98, or am i screwed permanently?
Old August 5, 2000, 22:07   #2
CornMaster
Prince

Local Time: 19:11
I run Civ 2 MGE under Win98 so that's not your problem. Maybe your new CD-ROM doesn't like the CD. Maybe you could disable autorun and copy all the files to your hard drive and then install it and get a cd check disabler so you don't need the CD.

Just a thought. Keep me posted maybe I'll be able to help you later.

------------------
"I'm too out of shape for a long fight so I'll have to kill you fast"
"If the great Emperors of Rome, Egypt and Greece were alive today, do you think they would prefer Coke or Pepsi?"
Administrator of the CornEmpire Forum
Old August 6, 2000, 22:13   #3
Empress
The Empress

Local Time: 16:41
When you are loading the program, do you have other programs opened? I used to get the same error on my AMD when I had several browsers opened.
Old August 7, 2000, 16:37   #4
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 18:41
Wait, when you played it before, did you use the CD?
Old August 9, 2000, 20:35   #5
Echolan
Settler

it ran with the cd on my old comp.
hmmm.. .maybe i should try putting in my cdrw drive... maybe it'll run off that. But i lent it to my friend to see what happened on his, it works fine for him.
Old August 9, 2000, 23:51   #6
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 18:41
Can you play other games via your CD drive on your computer?
Old August 10, 2000, 02:11   #7
Ken Hinds
Prince

Local Time: 17:41
Echolan,

Is your CD Drive something other than the next Letter in line after the last hard drive on your system, e.g., last drive D: and CD Drive F:? If so then you probably are going to need to either change the drive letter to the next in line or install your CDRW drive again. As I pointed out to someone a couple of weeks ago in another thread, Civ 2.42 was notorious for not liking to CD Drives on the system, especially if the CD came after a writable drive. I don't know about MGE but it may also throw fits.

Ken
Old August 10, 2000, 18:09   #8
Barington
Chieftain

quote:

Originally posted by Echolan on 08-05-2000 08:38 PM
okay... I've been running civ II MGE successfully for... what... 1 1/2 years on my old compaq P133 with Win95, now i get a new comp and i try to install it on my dell PIII 800 running Win98 and i get a crapload of errors during installation and the autoplay crashes before it even starts, i get a damnable "Program has performed an illegal operation" error as soon as i put my cd in the frickin' drive. What is the problem? is this game incompatible with PIII or Win98, or am i screwed permanently?

Also had loading problems since I got a Dell PIII 700 Laptop; Never had any with my old Gateway 166. Does load after a few goes however. Usually loads OK if it is the first program loaded after power up.

Old August 12, 2000, 16:07   #9
Legman

quote:

Originally posted by Ken Hinds on 08-10-2000 02:11 AM
Echolan,

Is your CD Drive something other than the next Letter in line after the last hard drive on your system, e.g., last drive D: and CD Drive F:? If so then you probably are going to need to either change the drive letter to the next in line or install your CDRW drive again. As I pointed out to someone a couple of weeks ago in another thread, Civ 2.42 was notorious for not liking to CD Drives on the system, especially if the CD came after a writable drive. I don't know about MGE but it may also throw fits.

Ken

I guess I'm that someone. And as I'm sure you'll be happy to know Ken, I finally got the music playing! See the thread Civ II music won't play . I'm forever grateful to you for the very helpful advice you gave me!

The problem was solved once I got around to properly installing the second CD drive (a writable one), and I think that might do the trick for you too, Echolan. My regular CD drive is E:\ and the formerly uninstalled writable drive is D:\. That caused the game to not be able to play the music from the CD.

Best of luck.

Old August 13, 2000, 03:39   #10
Ken Hinds
Prince

Local Time: 17:41
Legman,

As I said before, Glad to be of help. Happy to hear that you have the music back. I still haven't got around to making that new CD with the music from both the Old and New civ CD's.

Ken