Old November 20, 2001, 20:28   #1
Elrad
Settler

Local Time: 17:12
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Large Map Games? Turns take to long?
I posted this a while ago and it was concluded that the fact that it takes 1 min+ for Large/Huge games had very little to do with proccesor power or how much ram you had, but had something to do with how the code played out. (Apperantly the support for 9+ nations came only fairly recently before the game shipped, and thus wasn't tested too well yet, but I can't confirm that)

Some people think the reason they take too long is because the computer likes to patrol their units when they have nothing better to do. Consider some dozen nations at over 150 cities between them and you have quite alot of needless walking around. Some people say holding shift helps, but that makes no sense because most of the waiting time goes on while the computer is doing something behind the curtains.

I bring this up again because I have heard of people effectivly play on huge maps, what I wanted to know is HOW? I calculated the waiting time by around 500ad to be a min, and only rising from then on. We are talking about over 10 hours of just waiting between turns...thats just unacceptable!

What I realized recently while trying to get more information about when and why this lag time happens, I realized that the majority of it happens after the computer allready finishes their turns, what happens each time is after your domestic reports (forrests cut, buildings finished etc) there is a 30-40 second waiting time in which NOTHING happens....one would think its the computers turn but they all allready went, what in the world could be proccessing after the first phase of your turn?

Since my empire size is roughly the same as it would be in a normal game that does not have this lag time, I realy am wondering what the heck it is...has anyone else encountered this?

Luckely I was able to play pretty far in my large game by just alt tabing to these forums when that 30-40 second waiting period hits (odly enough it goes no slower when I do that) .

Any insight to this would be great, if there is some trivial thing I missed that everyone knows about (and I come off as the stupidest person on earth) then I welcome it! One way or another I hope there will be a solution to this soon!

-Elrad