Old November 21, 2001, 02:41   #1
YC4B4U
Warlord

Local Time: 02:43
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Indecisive Naval Engagements
History seems to be filled with many indecisive naval engagments (well the books I have read anyway). Jutland is a notable example where the number of ships sunk was substantially less than the number of ships engaged. There always seems to be a ship escaping somewhere...

How about restricting the number of attacks in each battle whereby the result could be an indecisive engagement where both are weakened but not destroyed.

Any thoughts? Perhaps a different way to achieve the same ends?

(It may also mean my Battleships are no longer beaten up when attacking Ironclads and Transports)
Old November 21, 2001, 03:27   #2
Monoriu
Warlord

Local Time: 17:13
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I think bombardment already serves the "indecisive battle" role.

Personally I don't like your idea, because it will make battles too long. Bombard - attack - indecisive - attack - kill/be killed.

That said, I like people who come up with relatively innovative ideas such as yours, instead of just complaining.
Old November 21, 2001, 03:50   #3
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 10:13
well it is a good idea. but not likely to be implemented with Firaxis simpler is better concept. Plus there are many other combat problems I would like to see fixed first. But I like the idea because it expands naval combat which is pretty weak in present state. And I like naval combat.
Old November 21, 2001, 06:52   #4
Deathwalker
Prince

Local Time: 17:13
How about first they give the air force the ability to sink ships. They must not have read any WW2 naval books
Old November 21, 2001, 08:58   #5
Easy Rhino
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:13
Quote:
Originally posted by Deathwalker
How about first they give the air force the ability to sink ships.
Airplanes sinking ships? You're daft man! Sure, these new-fangled aero-planes may be useful for scouting, or perhaps spotting the gunnery of the battle line, but no one can really expect them to be useful in combat.

Next, you'll probably be recommending the construction of special ships with oversized decks to allow the planes to land on the sea!

Poppycock!

ER
Old November 21, 2001, 09:34   #6
cort
Warlord

Local Time: 19:13
the bombard value of battleships should be higher & they should be able to bombard several times in a turn, i beleive..

currently, a battleship is weaker than an artillery..
Old November 21, 2001, 10:15   #7
Akka
Prince

Local Time: 18:13
To simulate the effect of indecisive engagement, I suggest giving to the ships the ability to retreat. It would have to work a little differently than the cavalry's retreat to allow a ship to be able to retreat while the attacking unit is also a "fast unit". The submarine should be able to nullify this capacity since they are supposed to attack with surprise, and the wooden ships should not have this option against more modern ships.
Old November 21, 2001, 10:19   #8
Grumbold
Emperor

I suspect that is why they didn't use the option. It would be silly for wooden ships to outsail a modern navy but too big an advantage for the superior tech if they could always escape. I'd be in favour of a chance of retreating but not a high one.
Old November 22, 2001, 05:15   #9
Akka
Prince

The actual retreat stuff does not give overwhelming advantages to cavalry, even toward infantry, so I think it would work fine on ships. Considering than older ships are often slower, we could just use the movement point rating to see if a ship can escape. With just an exception for the submarine.