Old March 13, 2000, 01:13   #31
Harel
Prince

Local Time: 00:16
Local Date: October 31, 2010
A few notes:

1. First off, I don't think that the basical written law should be defined as the age for code of law... I think it should be set to the first written SET of laws, or the first written rules that the ENTIRE empire followed. This should be placed somewhere a little after the establishment of unified Egypt, somewhere at 2400 BC.
2. Secondly, the conept PHSYICS, AKA research of the primal forces of the universe, was only first announced after the discovery of radioactivity, in the late 19th centaury AD.
3. Yin, my cut-and-paste was in error. Please fix super-conducting to 1973 AD, since this is the time the first useful super-conductor was introduced.
4. jon miller: Atomic theory, in civII, related to the GREEK idea that everything can be broken, and be broken again, until you reach the most basical unit, called "ATOM". The atomic theory signify the greek understaning of the scientific nature of the world.
5. SDI defence: Since the "Nautilus" Laser anti-rocket defensive system has passed with flying colors all tests a few weeks ago, I think we can say full anti-IBCM SDI should be available in 2005 AD. BTW, The "Hetz" anti-IBCM system goes online tommorow

New additions:
[*]warriors: Let's define this as the first orginized military force. It's hard to define a date, but I would say that the Minoun fall IN 2400 BC signify the existant of orginized forces at the other, primitive nations. How far we should go back is up to you.[*]Transport: The first iron-cast, military troop transports were first deployed at WWI, meaning it should be at 1918 AD.[*]Capitilazation: Wow... it's hard to define what this process happened, but I think the switch to paper money is much more accurate then CIVII defination. The first goverement-supported paper money was used by the France revolution govereement, a process which started at 1789 AD. Ofcourse, like everything, China has paper money years before, but then it says we need to change our dated for coal, gunpowder, paper-press, and a lot of other things [*]Factory: Wow, a hard thing to put a thumb on... but basicly, it's automatazation that was only enabled by steam power, atleast to some extent. Historians put the first factories to early 18th centaury England... so put it somewhere like 1810 AD.[*]Granary: The oldest relic that was identified as a Granary in India, and dated back to the sevenths millenium BC. [*]Marketplace: Wow, this is a problemetic one... if you just want to relate to the mere existant of marketplaces, then those date back to the start of humanity. It's probably the oldest human construction. But a trading SOCIETY, with it's set of rules to trade ( and indeed marketplaces requires currency in civ II ), date back to Egypt relations to the Levantine empire, which should be placed at 1100 BC, as the first fully-conducted as firm-based inter-national trade.

Again, all thanks to Britanica.com, my home Britanica, and some personal knowladge.
[This message has been edited by Harel (edited March 12, 2000).]
Old March 13, 2000, 15:19   #32
The Mad Viking
King

Local Time: 00:16
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I think it's clear, both from the name and the location in the tech tree, that Atomic Theory is a theory, (not an idea or even a hyptothesis) about matter being composed of massive, positively charged nucleii, with highly mobile, negatively charge electrons on the perimeter.

I really like don Don's theory of advances. But giving both the first instance and the reliable use makes sense, because this thread is about learning, I hope.

Steam Engine - It doesn't say "Steam Power". The Roman devices could not be IMHO be classified as "engines". French Engineer Denis Papin made a steam piston driven pump in 1690. It might qualify for the 1st use, and Watts may get undue credit in English texts vs. French - but his work was remarkable.

If you ever come to Toronto, head down the road to the Hamilton Museum of Steam & Technology, which has a pair of enormouse and beautiful 1857 steam engines from their original waterworks (featuring Watts parallel-arm linkages.) Gord - have you been?

Electronics, IMO, would be the discovery of the transistor, as previously mentioned under Miniaturization. (Bell Laboratories 1947) Miniaturization is a little vague, since it after electronics as a prereq. to Offshore Platforms. I'm still thinking on that one.

Metallurgy. In 1762, in the Carron Ironworks in Stirlingshire Scotland, cast iron was first converted into malleable iron. Then in 1784, Heny Cort developed the pudding process for wrought iron. Of course we should probably go back to an advance in the foundry process and plain old cast iron. This advance ties to cannon - when did cannon become a major element of field armies (as opposed to a siege weapon)?

Artillery - breech loading is a good idea - but consider also the invention of the shell - I like it partly because the inventor was named Henry Shrapnel! The year was 1803.

That's all for now...
Old March 14, 2000, 01:37   #33
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 20:16
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Wonders of the Ancient World FINISHED! (dates can still be debated, though).

I'll update the rest soon.
Old March 14, 2000, 02:22   #34
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 20:16
Local Date: October 30, 2010
UPDATED!

Discussions should still continue at the General Discussion thread here: http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum6/HT...ml?date=04:52. Thanks guys! This is coming along.
[This message has been edited by yin26 (edited March 14, 2000).]