Old November 21, 2001, 09:29   #1
Bubba_B
Warlord

Local Time: 12:14
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The AI learns to use Mods
Check this out,

One day last week I was playing with the editor and brainstorming about diffrent units. I thought that a Merc. unit that worked the same as a Privateer on land would be cool. Slip him in on a Gov. you don't like and have him pillage or cause general havoc without declaring war. Anyway, I picked the Explorer as that unit gave him a small attack, deffense, and 2 move to retreat if attacked. I also hid the nationality and under AI stratagies clicked "offensive". I played a little more with the Editor that night and went to bed.

Fast forward a couple days; I'm playing a 16 civ small map on Warlord and around 1500AD a funny looking white shaded unit shows up on my boarder , why is that explorer white, I think. The next turn it jumps a nearby worker and he becomes a Aztec worker . (Mind you at this point I've completly forgotten about what I did to the Explorer unit) "I've never seen the Explorer do that, was that in the manual" . Soon the other four Civ's on my boarders jump into the fun, workers abondoned me in droves, I declare war to get them back............all hell breaks loose .

Needless to say, I remembered what I did when I went to the Editor to check the specs. on the Explorer. The funny thing is that the AI did things with the unit that I never thought of, It devoloped a stratagey of its own: Take my workers without a declaration of war.

So in closing, I think the AI will pick up on your mods. Lesson learned.

Last edited by Bubba_B; November 21, 2001 at 10:06.
Old November 21, 2001, 09:46   #2
Bubba_B
Warlord

Side note
My Governors picked up on this too. After my first few workers were taken my govenors started to build Exploers.
Old November 21, 2001, 09:55   #3
zapperio
Warlord

Local Time: 17:14

Excellent! I'm sure I don't want mercs now.

Zap
Old November 21, 2001, 10:12   #4
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 19:14
it's cool to see a post that does not consist of mindless whining
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old November 21, 2001, 12:24   #5
Wrong_shui
Warlord

Culture sucks!
Old November 21, 2001, 13:14   #6
PMLF
Warlord

Re: The AI learns to use Mods
Quote:
Originally posted by Bubba_B
Check this out,

One day last week I was playing with the editor and brainstorming about diffrent units. I thought that a Merc. unit that worked the same as a Privateer on land would be cool. Slip him in on a Gov. you don't like and have him pillage or cause general havoc without declaring war. Anyway, I picked the Explorer as that unit gave him a small attack, deffense, and 2 move to retreat if attacked. I also hid the nationality and under AI stratagies clicked "offensive". I played a little more with the Editor that night and went to bed.

Fast forward a couple days; I'm playing a 16 civ small map on Warlord and around 1500AD a funny looking white shaded unit shows up on my boarder , why is that explorer white, I think. The next turn it jumps a nearby worker and he becomes a Aztec worker . (Mind you at this point I've completly forgotten about what I did to the Explorer unit) "I've never seen the Explorer do that, was that in the manual" . Soon the other four Civ's on my boarders jump into the fun, workers abondoned me in droves, I declare war to get them back............all hell breaks loose .

Needless to say, I remembered what I did when I went to the Editor to check the specs. on the Explorer. The funny thing is that the AI did things with the unit that I never thought of, It devoloped a stratagey of its own: Take my workers without a declaration of war.

So in closing, I think the AI will pick up on your mods. Lesson learned.
LOL

Quote:
Originally posted by zapperio

Excellent! I'm sure I don't want mercs now.

I want mercenaries. They should be like conscript units.
Old November 21, 2001, 15:08   #7
kmj
Prince

'course the "capturing workers" thing breaks the "hidden identity" thing... doubt the AI realizes that. So you could know who a merc belonged to when it captured a worker of yours, but the AI probably won't know that if you do the same to him. Still, that's cool.
Old November 21, 2001, 15:37   #8
Wolfgang76
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:14
Smart...
Smart As@.

Quote:
Originally posted by Wrong_shui
Culture sucks!
Old November 21, 2001, 15:47   #9
ChrisShaffer
Prince

Local Time: 11:14
I'll be interested to see the first scenario where all units have "hidden identity." That should be fun.
Old November 21, 2001, 17:52   #10
knott
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:14
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisShaffer
I'll be interested to see the first scenario where all units have "hidden identity." That should be fun.
I like the idea too Wonderfull nukes

Si vis pacem, para bellum /Vegetius