Old November 21, 2001, 14:01   #1
Slax
Prince

Local Time: 12:15
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Is there known history mod of CTP2 ?
I played and enjoyed CTP I, but didn't enjoy the future eras. Because of this I didn't buy CTP II (also, I was worried about the lack of support).

Has anyone made a mod where all future features have been replaced with historically accurate ones and the game ends just after current times ? (a Civ clone, so to speak)
Old November 22, 2001, 06:44   #2
The Big Mc
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 17:15
Not that I know of, But you can make one using slic to stop research after modern time.
Old November 23, 2001, 14:34   #3
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 10:15
You could play a multiplayer game and simply exclude all of the modern techs and units. This seems easier to me then writting a whole mod.
Old November 23, 2001, 14:47   #4
Slax
Prince

What both of you are proposing seems like it would shorten the game considerably.

I'm actually a little surprised no one has considered replacing the existing techs and units with those of CIVII (or at least within CIVII's timeline) so that the future stuff is eliminated. I guess it might be a waste of sea and space cities, though (are space cities in CTP2?).

Am I speaking sacrilege?
Old November 23, 2001, 15:27   #5
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 18:15
Quote:
Originally posted by Slax
What both of you are proposing seems like it would shorten the game considerably.

I'm actually a little surprised no one has considered replacing the existing techs and units with those of CIVII (or at least within CIVII's timeline) so that the future stuff is eliminated. I guess it might be a waste of sea and space cities, though (are space cities in CTP2?).
No space cities in CtP2
The best there is so far is Cradle of Civilization, but that does not eliminate the future ages, just extend the ancient age, so the game will take longer to get to the future ages.
I guess we all like the future ages. I never liked the fact that Civ2 stopped after spaceflight (near enough). Research will not stop when we send the first spaceship to AC, we'll carry on striving for the good of mankind. If you want to play on a restricted tech-tree, then the game should be restricted to up to 2000AD.
Quote:

Am I speaking sacrilege?
No....
maybe you could try Cradle, but then on top limit the tech tree to late modern age through SLIC. This would keep the game long, but eliminate unwanted stuff.
Old November 27, 2001, 08:58   #6
The Big Mc
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

personally I loved the future stuff it's more fun then waiting half a century for a unit to get over to the enemy city. I like the future so much I am making a mod to put back some of the future elements off ctp1 (like some of the tile imps from space modified so they are land or sea based). what I have so far is basically left over from ctp1 that was still put onto disk and shipped like the cargo plane which I moded into a better version of the sea engineer. I won't like a game that ended now to start with you would end up with a nuclear war and then that would be the end to that. I played civ2 and found the future stuff needed putting in like future units.
Old December 3, 2001, 14:19   #7
Slax
Prince

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

I'm not against all the future techs, improvements, and units, but I would rather only see those that are projected for the near future. For example, I would not be against a Mars mission wonder, SDI defense, perhaps even a future government type (if it can be reasoned from current political structures). Perhaps up to about the year 2050.

An increased number of gamers may be coming here from CIV III, so a CTP II with the futuristic elements toned - down may be appreciated.
Old December 4, 2001, 07:55   #8
The Big Mc
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

If you can do the video for a mars wonder I would add it to my game as it is you can only make a wonder if you have the video.
Old December 5, 2001, 11:22   #9
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 19:15
Quote:
Originally posted by The Big Mc
If you can do the video for a mars wonder I would add it to my game as it is you can only make a wonder if you have the video.
That's wrong you can add new wonders to the game without a video.

Just open the uniticon.txt:

Code:
ICON_WONDER_ARISTOTLES_LYCEUM { FirstFrame "UPWP003L.TGA" Movie "GW003.AVI" Gameplay "WONDER_ARISTOTLES_LYCEUM_GAMEPLAY" Historical "WONDER_ARISTOTLES_LYCEUM_HISTORICAL" Prereq "WONDER_ARISTOTLES_LYCEUM_PREREQ" Vari "WONDER_ARISTOTLES_LYCEUM_STATISTICS" Icon "UPWP003L.TGA" LargeIcon "NULL" SmallIcon "NULL" StatText "WONDER_ARISTOTLES_LYCEUM_STATISTICS" }
Just replace here GW0003.AVI by NULL and the Aristoteles Lyceum wouldn't have a video.
Old December 6, 2001, 06:32   #10
The Big Mc
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

did not know that. could i put a pic in instead, it would up grade what i could have as a wonder by about 500000%