Old November 21, 2001, 15:53   #1
ike0481
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:16
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Attacking Your Own Cities?!?
In my last game I was pretty far ahead of all the other A.I. civs on Regent in the middle of the modern era. I was the French and had just finished toying with my newly aquired Tactical Nukes against the Germans. Suddenly I noticed that my workers trying to enter one of MY OWN pink French cities were getting killed. I tried to move a unit into the city and it attacked one of MY OWN units stationed there. Finally after moving 3 tanks to attack the city everything returned to normal. This city was not rioting and had not switched over to any of the other civs due to culture. This happend several more times throughout the game and it left me wondering if the A.I. sent a mole or propagand against me? If that is the case we really need some kind of warning!!! Anyone else experience this? What is Going ON?
Old November 21, 2001, 16:05   #2
lewisr2
Settler

Local Time: 17:16
I saw another thread about this a couple of weeks ago (either here or at civfanatics) in which many of a players workers starting attacking his own cities after he nuked a few of his rival's cities. Must be an undocumented form of extreme war weariness.
Old November 21, 2001, 16:12   #3
Timeline
King

Local Time: 12:16
It Can Happen To You
It's happened to me, it can happen to you.

This is a B_U_G. It happened to me once in a city that was undefended, and that the AI had clearly targeted. I was going to reinfoce the city with some mech inf., but when it got there, it was killed entering the city!

The Colors indicated the city was still mine, but I was thinking it might have been a graphical error, and that the enemy AI had captured it. It was difficult to tell if it was still under my control since when I right-clicked, sometimes it would say "take me to your leader" - which would take me to the AI that was comming for me, the Persians - , and sometimes it would show the city screen.

So much for a graphical error.

No amount of bombing, attacking, fighting would allow me to retake the city.

Reloading your autosave turn will fix the problem.

Oh yeah, and for what it's worth, I too had just nuked the french (Note: This is not the civ that appeared to "control" the city some of the time). So this problem is obviously linked to nuclear weapons use. And maybe, dare I say it, a bug linked to the french (you never know).

Last edited by Timeline; November 21, 2001 at 16:18.
Old November 25, 2001, 21:53   #4
deafhawk
Settler

Local Time: 17:16
speaking about nukes and attacking your own cities. built my first
civ3 nuke, a ICBM. I decided to test it to see what it is like. I tried to lob it against one of my cities and lo, it worked! A big disappointment by the way, the civ3 nuke was not that great. Only lost two units out of seven i think. population merely whittled down. most if not all city improvements still standing. city still producing good with factory, solar plant, and offshore platform still up, about 25 shields per turn. the mess can be cleaned in a few turns by my horde of industrious workers in from all part of my empire. Nice thing about railroads... I guess I can forget about the tech race to create the ultimate weapon strategy in civ 3. It is not like SMAC. I sure miss the singularity plant buster that could take out three or so tightly cluttered Hive bases. Now that was the ultimate weapon! For civ3 one should build more tanks and bombers instead inmho. You can cause serious damage with mass of bombers. And tanks can destroy cities by razing them.