Old November 22, 2001, 00:30   #1
Jeannette
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:17
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Detecting your rivals' gov't status
In Civ II you were always notified when another civ was in a period of transitional anarchy (which might present an excellent opportunity for you to attack) and you could always check to see what gov't your rivals were living under. I find this especially important in Civ III - if, for example, I want to take over a nearby city culturally (I'd be wasting my time if it were a Democracy.)
BUT the only way I can find to determine this basic piece of information is by spending money on "investigate city". Is there another, cost/hassle-free way? Am I missing something really obvious?
Old November 22, 2001, 00:32   #2
Sevorak
Warlord

Local Time: 17:17
Use your Military Advisor. It's a silly non-intuitive way to do it, and I'd like the Civ2 government warning screens too, but the Military Advisor suffices for now.

You'll be comparing your army to the army of the "(Civ adjective) (Government type)". For example, if you're French and in Monarchy, you'll see on one side "Army of the French Monarchy" and on the other, something like "Army of the English Anarchy". Use the button above the enemy army to switch between civs and check on their governments one by one.

-Sev
Old November 25, 2001, 22:32   #3
Jeannette
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:17
Thank you kindly!