Old November 22, 2001, 03:48   #1
ChaingKaiShek
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:18
Local Date: October 31, 2010
It is just me, or?
Alright, I've noticed something while playing around with civ3 in the last few days. (And no, not just the unbalanced combat everyone is bickering about.) But, is it just me or does it seem to take an overly long time to progress through the tech tree?

I was playing a game on warlord and I noticed by 1999 A.D. I was just starting to get 'modern' units including battleships and such. Now I may be doing something horribly wrong, if so someone mind giving me a few pointers? I mean the game 'ends' in 2050 correct? So I dont see a way to get to the end of the tech tree.

I've liked the "Civilization" games since I played the first one, then again I missed out on Civ2 and despite what everyone else seemed to think - I liked CTP I/II.

Once again, Suggestions on what I'm doing wrong would be nice!

Chaing

Old November 22, 2001, 04:55   #2
Kekkonen
Warlord

Local Time: 19:18
Don't be afraid to trade techs with the AI. In fact, it's recommended. Also, sell stuff to the AI; luxuries can fetch you a very nice sum of money each turn in mid- and late game. Strategic resources are always a good money-maker -- just see to it that if the civ temporarily occupying your future territory doesn't have iron, you don't sell it to him. Now that you've got gold flowing into your treasury from the trade deals, it's time to crank up your science spending. Most of the time, I use the highest science rate that still keeps my cash flow positive. Build libraries and universities everywhere. Last but not least, don't forget that the larger your empire, the more cities you have producing science.

By using the above strategy, I'm getting infantry in the 1700s and tanks in the 1800s on Warlord. And I'm _not_ one of those guys who beat Civ2 regularly on deity.
Old November 22, 2001, 05:11   #3
Der PH
Warlord

Local Time: 18:18
Building the Great Library helps a lot, too. At least in the early game. My first research goal is always Literature, when I'm not forced to enhance my military with iron working.

In my current game, reaching the medieval age I aimed straight towards Copernicus' Observartory and rushed it with a leader. Since then it takes me only about 5 or 6 turns to explore a new tech.
Now I'm building frigates and musketmen in the 13th century!
Old November 22, 2001, 05:13   #4
ChaingKaiShek
Chieftain

Thanks -

I'll be sure to give that a try instead, I've been reluctant to trade techs with the AI as I had a bad experience with the Germans while playing as the romans.

I traded some better techs for some minor ones and a fair amount of gold per turn, and then ended up getting invaded by those same germans, after 50 turns of an' ebb and flow effect of loosing and regaining half of my empire the dirty germans pulled their allies in to help finish me off.

But I dont suppose sending in an' attack sqaud to sac and raze berlin was the best of ideas either.

Chaing
Old November 22, 2001, 05:17   #5
ChaingKaiShek
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Der PH
Building the Great Library helps a lot, too. At least in the early game. My first research goal is always Literature, when I'm not forced to enhance my military with iron working.

In my current game, reaching the medieval age I aimed straight towards Copernicus' Observartory and rushed it with a leader. Since then it takes me only about 5 or 6 turns to explore a new tech.
Now I'm building frigates and musketmen in the 13th century!
Okay - Now with the leaders, I read a little about it in the manual but how exactly are they formed? I have yet to actually *see* a leader.

Some trick to it or is it random?
Old November 22, 2001, 05:26   #6
sachmo71
Warlord

Local Time: 11:18
If one of your elite units wins a battle, there is a chance a leader will appear. If you are militaristic, the chance is greater. Hope that helps!
Old November 22, 2001, 05:28   #7
Deathwalker
Prince

I found that if your no willing to trade or buy the tech from the computer they get ahead of you and your always behind them
Old November 22, 2001, 05:37   #8
Kekkonen
Warlord

Local Time: 19:18
Quote:
Originally posted by ChaingKaiShek
Thanks -

I'll be sure to give that a try instead, I've been reluctant to trade techs with the AI as I had a bad experience with the Germans while playing as the romans.
Yes, that can happen. In general, think carefully when trading away your best techs -- especially best military techs (like chivalry, gunpowder, military tradition). Be especially careful when trading with your neighbors, unless they absolutely love you.

And in general, be careful when dealing with Otto the Cranky German. He loves to use his military might to blackmail tech from you. In general, it's a good idea to accept early in the game (if you don't, he's very likely to declare war). Take that time you just bought, research better military techs and show Otto why you shouldn't pick on the little guy -- he may be the big guy a few hundred years down the road.
Old November 22, 2001, 06:33   #9
rid102
Warlord

Quote:
But, is it just me or does it seem to take an overly long time to progress through the tech tree?
Yup. I've noticed this too. I've only played a couple of games but have had trouble with Technology and Advances. I tend to only get Tanks/Battleships around their "real" time (i.e. late 1800's/early 1900's) even though my Science spending is pretty high. I am playing on Chieftain and tending to get Musketeers only around the 1400's, which seems well out by Civ2 standards (I could often get Musketeers during the BC era quite easily!).

I think from the advice given here it seems that you really must trade resources with the AI all the time in order to stand any chance of having enough Science spending to advance quickly. Another example of how resource trading has drastically changed the game IMHO.
Old November 22, 2001, 06:36   #10
Altuar
Warlord

Local Time: 12:18
My last two games were on Emperor, and on both I sent the spaceship to AC ~1800. Not to brag, but this is after I've increased the costs of all industrial and modern age techs by about %30. Perhaps there is something wrong with the way diff. levels are affecting tech research?
Old November 22, 2001, 13:02   #11
Lord Cannager
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:18
Re: It is just me, or?
[QUOTE] Originally posted by ChaingKaiShek
I mean the game 'ends' in 2050 correct?
well actully in one of my games it said mandatory retirement at 2050 but when i got there it just retired atomattically and showed the demographics and stuff like that but at the end it asked me if i wanted to keep playing.
and no im in the 3000s and i just got mod armor
Old November 22, 2001, 13:36   #12
rid102
Warlord

Quote:
My last two games were on Emperor, and on both I sent the spaceship to AC ~1800.
Care to give a basic tactics rundown?

I'm using basically modified Civ2 tactics playing civlised/perfectionist and trying my hardest to drive Science output. Feels like an uphill battle though.
Old November 22, 2001, 14:23   #13
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Re: Re: It is just me, or?
Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Cannager
well actully in one of my games it said mandatory retirement at 2050 but when i got there it just retired atomattically and showed the demographics and stuff like that but at the end it asked me if i wanted to keep playing.
and no im in the 3000s and i just got mod armor
errr, that's what's meant to happen. The game ended, but you can keep playing. It's not keeping score anymore, and you can't win either.
"They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara
Old November 22, 2001, 17:00   #14
Boracks
Warlord

Local Time: 13:18

I'm playing on Warlord and have riflemen in the 1600s. Two things:

1. I traded tech with other civs early on, always keeping pretty well even in science.

2. I started getting gold/turn in deals to the point that my own income is split on maintenence and science only and my cash income (~150/turn) is strictly from other civs. This means a lot is going to science and I am now generally one or two techs ahead of others.

Largest map with 16 civs, mind you.