Old November 22, 2001, 06:48   #1
asoulie
Settler

Local Time: 18:18
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Too easy ?
I've been very surprised to conquer very easely five canadian towns at the beginning of the game (year -620) : there were no units at all to defend three of those towns, and just one unit to defend the two others.

Are the canadians so weak ? I hope other civilization will resist a little bit more...

What do you think about it ?
Old November 22, 2001, 07:11   #2
Raven
Settler

Local Time: 17:18
You might consider a higher level. At which are you playing this game?

With small/beginning cities the AI usually doesn't do much about defending. As far as my experience goes the AI wouldn't send troops with a settler to defend new cities.
Old November 23, 2001, 03:32   #3
asoulie
Settler

I was playing at the difficult level...
Old November 24, 2001, 05:56   #4
Raven
Settler

that cancels out the level.

probably the cities were still to small to be able to build any troops. however if you took more than 3 I guess they weren't all that small. that leaves it to the conclusion that the canadians are indeed lousy defenders. in the game, that is.
Old November 26, 2001, 20:25   #5
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 10:18
Download the patch and the apolyton mod pack. This will make the AI a better defender and a much more aggressive enemy. Plus the patch and modes fix severalbugs and balancing issues. I'd say it doubled my enjoyment of the game.
Old November 27, 2001, 04:45   #6
Raven
Settler

Thanks, I should try that. The last game I played, the AI didn't attack one city of my cities in the whole game. I know there has been some complaining about the AI in CTP2, but I never expected it to be this bad. Is there any mod you like to recommend?

Besides, what would it take to create a new mod with a clever AI? I wrote my thesis about AI, so maybe I could use some of the patterns for a serious computer opponent.
Old November 27, 2001, 10:28   #7
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Raven
Thanks, I should try that. The last game I played, the AI didn't attack one city of my cities in the whole game. I know there has been some complaining about the AI in CTP2, but I never expected it to be this bad. Is there any mod you like to recommend?
]Cradle of Civilization has the best AI
Quote:
Besides, what would it take to create a new mod with a clever AI? I wrote my thesis about AI, so maybe I could use some of the patterns for a serious computer opponent.
A fat-huge mod with loads of SLIC and a complete rewrite to most if not all of the AI text files. Go to the Mods section here for some ideas that are being knocked around.

Also, if anyone is interested, try taking zones of control out of all units before the modern age. In Civ3 it makes the AI a lot better at formulating attacks.
Old November 28, 2001, 05:43   #8
asoulie
Settler

It's all right : I have begun a new game (difficult level), after having implemented the activision patch, the apolyton mode "the way it should be" and also "withdraw" : my opponents seems now much more agressive. I have the utmost difficulty to defend my borders and to expend on new territory.

The only thing that remains is that they do not use their units in a very effective way. Most of the time I can challenge them with fewer units, in so far as I manage cleverly my armies components and the use of terrain.

Is there a way to improve the war tactics of AI ? I read somewhere that you can increase the IA analysis time. How can I do that and is there something else to do ?
Old November 28, 2001, 15:56   #9
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 10:18
Hmmm, I'm not sure if there is a mod that really improves the tactics of the AI but you could try the Cradle of Civiliation mod that Wombat mentioned. Of course if you really wanted to try your hand with a truly challenging opponent then you could always play other himans in a multiplayer game. Real, living, breathing, opponents will always be more difficult then the AI. Cheers.