Old November 22, 2001, 16:42   #1
sophist
Prince

Local Time: 11:20
Local Date: October 31, 2010
future era?
Is it just me, or does it seem to anyone else that civ3 is a little incomplete? Granted, I haven't been playing on the highest levels, but it seems to me that the game ends too soon. In the games where I enabled the spaceship victory, I never got close to future techs; the spaceship was completed the turn after the necessary tech was discovered and that was that. I am envisioning a future era as a coda to what we have now; is it really that fun for Civilization3 to stop with the present? Now, I realize that there's no way Firaxis is going to create a future era for this version; at best it would be in an expansion pack (crosses fingers). So what would I want in this future era? Possibilities (some half-baked) include:

* Ocean cities (+ ocean workers)
* Hydroponics (tech + city improvement)
* Fusion Power (more powerful energy weapons; thermonuke?; a power plant that compounds with rather than replaces other power plants)
* Anti-Gravity (w/ hovertanks)
* Space Elevator/Orbital Tether
* Satellites for generating food/production
* Some kind of Internet tech + improvement/small wonder
* navies for stacking ships?
* air bases
* undersea sonar arrays (like SOSUS in the atlantic) as a small wonder
* satellite killers
* farmland (as from civ2)

And of course there would have to be a couple more strategic resources to support these (dilithium anyone? maybe one you could only get in space through building some kind of satellite [which could be destroyed by your enemies]) and probably a couple more happiness things (either new luxuries, a rollerball arena, etc.) to support still larger cities. Any other ideas? It would have to be a list of some 20 mostly realistic technologies (of course there could be room for something like "Plastic Surgery" which allows for greater happiness) with attendant improvements for happiness (museum? as improvement [generic "museum"], small wonder ["Smithsonian"], or great wonder ["The Louvre"]), wealth, attack/defense units, new small and large wonders, etc.

Of course, to make this all work, two things would have to happen:

1) spaceship victory disabled (I don't see how it could get changed to happen later)
2) increase in effectiveness of anti-nuke defenses, either with the discovery of a new technology or additional improvements/small wonders

btw, notice that there are like 16 techs in the modern era vs 21/22/21 in the first three eras. Sort of supports my feeling that the modern era ends too soon.
Old November 22, 2001, 17:50   #2
Wrong_shui
Warlord

Local Time: 17:20
The only thing I liked about CTP was the future techs.

So yeah i want a post modern era.
Old November 27, 2001, 03:02   #3
sophist
Prince

Plus I envision a couple of other improvements/wonders:

Supreme Court - drops corruption whereever there's a courthouse
Statue of Liberty - Accelerates assimilation of other peoples.

Nanotechnology would be neat, too. Dunno what we would use it for, but still, it's something to slot in.
Old November 27, 2001, 03:26   #4
Kc7mxo
King

Local Time: 12:20
No. I like that the civilization series has always been grounded in history.

Keep the fusion tanks in scenarios.
Old November 27, 2001, 03:29   #5
Boney
Call to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power Multiplayer
Warlord

Local Time: 18:20
Hi Sophist
Just a wild guess, I reckon that you are from the States ne c'est pas?

Supremecourt?
Statue of Liberty?

What about
the international court in the Hague?
the arc of triumph? (L'arc de Triomphe)
Sydney opera house?
Machu Pichu?
Angkor Wat?
The Kremlin?
Penicilin?

There are other countries in the world.
Old November 27, 2001, 03:38   #6
sophist
Prince

Do you feel better now that you've cut down an ignorant American?

What does penicillin have to do with any of that?

I had thought that it would be cool if the palace were named by the civ. As in Buckingham for the English, the White House for the Americans, or the Kremlin for the Russians.

Quote:
Originally posted by Boney
Hi Sophist

Supremecourt?
Statue of Liberty?

What about
the arc of triumph? (L'arc de Triomphe)
Sydney opera house?
Machu Pichu?
Angkor Wat?
The Kremlin?
Penicilin?

There are other countries in the world.
Old November 27, 2001, 03:43   #7
Boney
Warlord

Penicillin was just to catch your attention, and see if you could spot the deliberate mistake.

well done, you passed the test. Man, I am sure Dan Quayle looks up to you.
Old November 27, 2001, 03:56   #8
Vrank Prins
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Boney
Hi Sophist

Supremecourt?
Statue of Liberty?

What about
It's about half an hour walking from my job.
If he's an American he may not like not this one. The stands of the american government towards the international court over the last decade has been one of reticence. What if american soldiers or politicians were called to stand trial. It's an independent institution and they can't use it like they use the UN.

The effect of this wonder may be a greater impact of your diplomatic actions and a more peaceful approach/overtures by other civ's.
Old November 27, 2001, 04:10   #9
sophist
Prince

This international court does not have the same status as the United States Supreme Court. The connection between the latter and corruption reduction is much stronger than with the former. So the international court and Supreme Court could be two independent wonders.

Nor am I happy that American troops in cooperative military actions never are placed under the authority of a non-American. Or that the United States has in fact refused to sign the war crimes treaty because our Senate (and many Americans) cannot tolerate the idea that a foreign entity could tell us what to do with, say, Henry Kissinger.

By the way, the Canadian high court is also called the Supreme Court. It's not just in America.

We're not all ignorant idiots here. Those of us that are not get offended when you assume we are.

Quote:
Originally posted by Vrank Prins

It's about half an hour walking from my job.
If he's an American he may not like not this one. The stands of the american government towards the international court over the last decade has been one of reticence. What if american soldiers or politicians were called to stand trial. It's an independent institution and they can't use it like they use the UN.

The effect of this wonder may be a greater impact of your diplomatic actions and a more peaceful approach/overtures by other civ's.
Old November 27, 2001, 04:43   #10
Boney
Warlord

I thought that Canada was part of the USA.

Also I think that Kissinger was a kitten when compared to Dulles, and he even got an airport named after him.

Anyway you ignorant idiot i'll see you outside. Ah but of course you are not offended by that.
Old November 27, 2001, 05:09   #11
Vrank Prins
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by sophist
We're not all ignorant idiots here. Those of us that are not get offended when you assume we are.
I don't assume that the americans are being dummies or ignorant, nor am I suggesting such a thing. I just am being critical. I can see why the american government has always taken this stand. But I can't say that I am happy with it.

It's a good idea to have both institutions as small wonders. In the Netherlands we have something similar like the Supreme Court, it's called "de Hoge Raad" (the High Council).
More in principal. I think it's a good idea to have more or less a kind of national institutions in CIV-IV. Everything is still citybased in CIV-III.
Old November 27, 2001, 05:23   #12
Deathwalker
Prince

Yes it should be longer and have more units, improvments and other things in the later part of the game
Old November 27, 2001, 05:57   #13
PapaLenin
Chieftain

Post modern era would be nice, but I think more important would make all other eras to last longer. I mean you get out from ancient era in 2h without able to fight more than 1 war which anyway has to be start immediately. SO I SAY MORE TECHS AND MORE TURNS TO COMPLETE THEM!!!