Old November 22, 2001, 17:08   #1
zeh
Civilization III PBEM
Warlord

Local Time: 14:20
Local Date: October 31, 2010
What should we do to take the amazon back?
See the image below first.

I know this picture is probably garbage, but I got it a few days ago and I would like to discuss with my fellow civers what should the brazilians must do to take the Amazon back (in the context of Civ3). Please ignore the childish text in the picture since it's from a book for kids.
Personally, I think that we should hope the lost region (our northern region) rebelled against UN control. Since we have a high culture (but no Civ3 wonders) provided from our large civ. and high number of libraries and universities, the citizens could overthrow their UN oppressors, after all, the UN isn't even a civilization. They may have the United Nations Great Wonder, but I've heard someone saying this wonder was built by Lincoln of the Americans (in New York), not the UN.
Well in case they don't rebel against UN control we should invest more in the culture of the surrounding states. By building more temples, libraries and universities in Mato Grosso, Goias, Maranhao, Piaui and Tocantins, we will be able to assimilate Amazonas, Para and Rondonia in no time. The other, farther states will come soon after. Now here's the catch: while the UN is spending all it's money rushing hospitals and granaries in Afghanistan, our northern states won't be able to develop their culture, due to high corruption (Brazil is far from the UN capital). So they'll be easy prey for re-assimilation. What do you think, does anyone have another idea?
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	international.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	6378  

Last edited by zeh; November 26, 2001 at 08:59.
Old November 22, 2001, 17:20   #2
ACM
Settler

Yeah yeah, you're right. We have to take it back soon.
If Firaxis release the patch and fix the corruption, the Northern cities will be productive again and we'll be in serious trouble. With Manaus' factories, manufacturing plants and hydro plants they'll soon build courthouses and all culture-related improvements. Then it'll be impossible to retake it by cultural assimilation.
Old November 25, 2001, 19:44   #3
Herder
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:20
Wow, that article/textbook blows my mind. How insulting. I can't believe the arrogance of the author of that text.

What schools is that being distributed to?

*blink*
Old November 25, 2001, 20:36   #4
Bill3000
King

Local Time: 13:20
Oh my there is no god... I can't believe that racist picture...
"Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
"Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis
Old November 26, 2001, 00:27   #5
gopher
Warlord

Local Time: 13:20
please, PLEASE, tell me the title of that book!!!!

"Your plans to find love, fortune, and happiness utterly ignore the Second Law Of Thermodynamics."-Horiscope from The Onion
Old November 26, 2001, 09:21   #6
zeh
Civilization III PBEM
Warlord

I got the picture from a friend of mine, I don't know what book this came from, but it's totally true. I was in full shock when I saw that, think this is the way that the people of other countries think about us. It's very sad...
Well, but now I have to stop write, Internet is expensive here in the tree where I live (it's hard make houses on jungle tiles, since we have no production shields), and my monkey and my snake have arrived to eat their bananas, that I got with help of my personal liana...
Old November 27, 2001, 22:18   #7
Pingu
Settler

Local Time: 17:20
Zeh! Shame on u!
Old November 29, 2001, 12:38   #8
ACM
Settler

Since the poster's joke was lost because of the horrible text in the picture, I've researched the picture and found out that it's really fake.
It was forged in Photoshop by a group of brazilians who wanted to have some fun with their fellow brazilians. More information, visit this link:

http://www.relatorioalfa.com.br/arqu...rote_amazonia/

The page is in portuguese, but it doesn't have many details, anyway.
Old November 29, 2001, 13:11   #9
zeh
Civilization III PBEM
Warlord

Thanks ACM for your feedback.
Here is part of the article, translated to English (with help of babel fish):

THE INFORMATION IS FALSE OF THAT AMERICAN CHILDREN LEARN THAT THE AMAZON IS NOT PART OF BRAZIL
An email that comes back from time to time deceives internautas and affirms that the United States are preparing an invasion to Brazil by means of the conditioning of its children. Read more:

Map of the Amazônia as being " international area ", separate of Brazil, is false

An old trot spreads again for the network, bringing an attached map that it indicates that in American books the pupils would learn that the Amazon is separate of Brazil. In terrible English, with primary edits in Photoshop, everything is false. The new, map and concept.

(www.relatorioalfa.com.br) the 'Relatório Alpha' has received hundreds from e-mails with the same affirmation: " a presumption used book in the United States would be bringing the picture of the Amazônia as international area ". In the beginning of October they had started to arrive the first messages for the writing, come of well intentioned readers.
We did not make no substance because this is a subject that died -- or it would have -- has one year more than, when was clarified. Until the Itamaraty it had that to pronounce itself on the case, last year. However it arrived at an unacceptable point again. At the moment where we write this edition, already they are more than 40 messages per day -- between scared and infuriated -- many annexing the copy of the presumption book. The email presents a dramatical heading:

Here would be a Furious email (too long and not interesting)...

After the e-mail, he tell what ACM told us: A stupid joke of some brazilians guys that have nothing to do except alarm with stupid things...
Old November 29, 2001, 23:19   #10
tleilaxu
Chieftain

Local Time: 01:20
Local Date: November 1, 2010
you people are truly gullible. oh by the way americans eat their own babies as well. and i'll sell you the eiffel tower. jeezus people will believe anything, especially if there's some way to insult americans.