Old March 25, 2000, 22:03   #1
Christopher
Warlord

Local Time: 00:16
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Forming automation
Automation is an evil. But there might be a way of reducing its evil.

If I could mark places to be formed, down to the location, what forming I would like, by which former(or anyone close and available) and in which order I would like them to be formed, that would make the game MUCH more playable.

Anyone tried automating the roads of farms in smac? It always f**k up, but if I could just drag a line just as I wanted it from point a to b and ask a former (or three) to start building that road.... adding more formers to that workproject as needed or as they come available. That would be just heavenly.

Just a thought...

Christopher
Old March 26, 2000, 01:23   #2
OrangeSfwr

quote:

Originally posted by Christopher on 03-25-2000 09:03 PM
Just a thought...

Wow, it's a good thing your not obsessing or anything...

------------------
~~~I am who I am, who I am - but who am I?~~~

[This message has been edited by OrangeSfwr (edited March 26, 2000).]

Old March 26, 2000, 04:58   #3
Hugo Rune

Why limit it to formers? A building-queue-like list of commands that you can use for formers/settlers, for patrolling units, for bombing raids, and so on. It can be relative to the position and saveable, so for example you could have a standard pattern of terraforming around a new base which you can load and have performed every time.

It should also be possible to set a "script" to be run by all new units produced in a particular city or entering a particular area... For example, all camels/supply transports could be directed directly onto a city to help build a wonder. This could be used to program very elementary enemy AI as well, for when it's needed in scenarios.

Or, how about a "dynamic" scripting feature? "Do XXX unless you encounter XXX in which case do XXX" or something.