Old November 23, 2001, 00:48   #1
Barfus
Warlord

Local Time: 12:21
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Location: I am the last Roman. Or is it Irish-Roman-American?
Fabula Romae
GAME INFORMATION:

Me (Rome) playing at Warlord level.

vs.

Egypt
Greece
Babylon
France
Germany

Map size; type= Huge; Pangea
Barbarians= Raging

Story will begin with my next post. I hope you enjoy it.
Old November 23, 2001, 02:13   #2
Barfus
Warlord

A Little History
Ave! (Hail or Hello)
My name is Gaius Metellus Piso, of the noble maritime city of Venetium, a jewel in the magnificent Republic of Rome. I am the current Consul's Adjutor Imperii, or High Vizier. He, who is called by subjects Emperor and citizens Consul, is named Publius Martius Verus. He is the 35th in a long line of Martii Verii, who have all been elected -for life- to the Consular position since the founding of our first fair city, Ilium, back in the old world. The current year is 1575, and I have just been promoted to my position from a Proconsulate (governorship) of one of the greater cities of the Empire, Alba Longa. I shall, before keeping you abreast of current affairs, give you a brief account of the past exploits of the Republic and her esteemed Consuls. Read on and be awed by the power that is our Ancient Republic...

In the year our historians reckon to be about -3850, the first wandering tribesmen settled down on the old continent, along the shore in a town they dubbed "Ilium." Many other nations founded their capitals nearly alongside of us, and the expansion of all civilized nations began from this one area. We, however, saw the misfortune ahead in the proximity of so many cultures right next to each other like so, and decided to dedicate our ponderings to the mysteries of the wine dark sea. So, with galley sails unfurled, we rushed our first colonists to find an isolated island, uninhabited by all but brute peoples, to found our homeland, to become a great nation. And that we did, and that we became.

With this done, we knew expansion on the old isle, the giant isle (from now on known as the Olde World), to be futile. Our empire was nurtured and cared for across the sea, away from all threats of so-called "civilizations" back home. We let our ancestral town of Ilium just sit idle, building improvements and necessary defense units, nothing more. Finally, the day came when the Consul Publius Martius Verus XVI saw fit to move the capital to Rome, in the new world (henceforth called the Insula Romae [Roman Isle]). Still, we were isolated there, free to grow and deal with no more than petty threats from local populations.

Ilium, it was decided, would be a staging point for raids and attacks on the Olde World, to bolster our reputation amongst other Kingdoms, with no fear of attack on our own. We decided it pertinent to help Germany, who was not faring well in establishing cities, to expand her borders, thus attacks were made on all barbarian empires, and cities were handed over to Germany. Until we realized that razing a city produced great quantities of slaves (Workers). When we noticed this, and the general lack of latifundia [literally "giant farms," but here irrigation improvements] back home, we decided to sack many cities, and send slaves back to the Empire.

Anyway, that was the way we operated for many generations until recently. The last few Consuls have been retreating from the aggressive stance, and concentrating more on citizens back home. This is one of the reasons, if not the only, that I was hired. I am hoping to promote Rome as a cultural beacon, and an astute political player. Unfortunately, the actions of past Consuls and their administrations has left us with a most unpleasant odor loitering about our reputation. I can barely get anyone to sign a trade contract without them thinking our legions will pop out of caravans to mount a surprise invasion (which was the brilliant idea of one Consul Publius Martius XXVIII*). On the bright side, however, at the last census I ordered, we have roughly 20,000 Citizen Workers (20 Worker Units) to about 37,000 Foreign Slaves (37 Captured Egyptian, Greek, and German Worker Units). Imagine if you can how fruitful our harvests are now that these people have been building up our land for generations since their capture.

Well, you are more or less up to speed now. If I recall anything of import later on that has happened before my tenure, I shall be sure to warrant it proper attention in my recitals hence.

--Salve (Farewell)
--Metellus Piso, Adjutor Imperii

*This Consul, with or without foresight, did our ancient town of Ilium a great favor. Being embroiled in many conflicts at that time, he decided to storm out of caravans on the Greek isle of Herakleia and raze the city there (guess where the slaves went). A brilliant surprise attack even though it came with the stigma of betrayal, but at that time, Roma didn't care what others thought. This brief war was peacefully concluded when the Greeks couldn't take back their city, as it was gone. He sent colonists from Ilium (surrounded by enemies that dared not attack, but nevertheless surrounded) to the isle, which was 200 miles away (2 tiles). There they founded on the ashes of Herakleia the city of Nova Ilia. In this manner he made sure the city was composed of members of the ancient Roman race, not assimilated Greeks. Now that we had our outpost in the Olde World relocated to a no-less-central, safer, insular location, we gave our ancient city to some friends who badly needed a full sized, built-up city: the Germans. They promtly renamed it Ilemsburg. Sadly, they nearly as promptly lost it to the Egyptians. Brilliant idea, no? Kudos to our esteemed, now divine former Consul, Publius Martius XXVIII.

N.B.- In more recent times, the descendants of the original Ilian colonists to the Insula Romae have increasingly petitioned the noble chair of the Collegium Militarum (War Ministry), the Magister Militum (Master of the Soldiers) Gaius Turentius, to mount an invasion to recpature our old homeland. I looked into this, and found that not only would this create further fouling of our political image, but that the city itself is now mostly comprised of Egyptians with a few trace Germans running around in back alleys. Apparently most of the old Romans there that did not go to found Nova Ilia, eventually emigrated there anyway. Nevertheless, this is something we will probaly have to do, as heritage is quite important to our citizens.

From my end it looks like this pic isnt showing, so here is the address for a little screenshot:
http://www.geocities.com/romanophile/homelap.html

Last edited by Barfus; November 23, 2001 at 02:38.
Old November 23, 2001, 19:05   #3
Barfus
Warlord

Ave noble visitors!

Please, please, enter my chambers. I shall pour you some Falernian vino and we shall talk of my recent exploits for the empire. I have done much since I took power back in 1575. Fortunately the gods have graced me with longevity, for I am entering my hundredth year of administration! *ahem* Let's begin shall we? Take a seat...

During my first years in office I was quite ambitious, within a short time I had secured from the Consul many allowances to reshape the empire as I saw fit. As a matter of fact, I convinced him to move our glorious capital to my place of birth, Venetium! Such a glorious island city it is. I shall include a picture of it below. Well, as I told you before, I decided that our political reputation was lacking and that I wanted to build it up to respectable levels. To achieve this I initiated trade pacts with as many nations in the Olde World as I could. And let me tell you, some wonderful payments did I secure as well. For a bit of Iron the Greeks were willing to pay 71,000 Denarii (71 gold) per year, and the Babylonians gave 60,000 up front and 7,000 per year for a dozen barrels of Saltpeter. Unfortunately, no one else saw fit to make business with us for the time being. But it was of no consequence to us, financially anyway. We were doing very well, just that no one trusted us. To improve on our rep, I decided to give the German Kingdom a glorious gift. Listen to this and witness the charity of Roma Invicta: to Germany his highness the Consul gave the coveted technologies of Printing, Banking, and Chemistry. Above and beyond this he donated a lovely isolated city that we founded for this express purpose named Colonia Augusta, in the Olde World. Also, we gave the Germans Iron for a set period of time, for only 3,000 Denarii, once, not per year. Imagine the Germans' astonishment when all we asked for in return was a World Map (which we knew would benefit us none)!

I should note however that we do favor the Germans, but would never enter an alliance with them. For one, they've nothing to offer us, and are not powerful. Worst of all, engage themselves in conflicts continually of which we do not want to be a part.

Whilst on the subject of conflicts, perhaps I should tell you the chaotic entanglement of alliances and wars going on in this point of world history. The world was basically divided into two camps (sans us, of course): Egypt, Greece, and France vs. Babylon and Germany. Strangely though, the first of these camps are only allied with one or the other power in their group, the whole group of three of them were not working cohesively against the opposing camp.

My stance, after discussing with the Consul heatedly concerning the fate of our friends the Germans, was to remain neutral and feed Germany as much as we could of what we had to spare.

This being our position, I began what was my major task, the building of our domestic infrastructure. I summoned to the palace the various Proconsuls (City Governors), and discussed with them my plans for the future. Once the Praetorian Guard had weeded out all the opposition, and they were sufficiently replaced, I sent the Procoinsuls home to their respective Provinces. The Consul and I had decided to put our vast holdings to work, the empire quickly became a most modernly equipped nation. As a gift, his majesty donated 60,000 Denarii (6000 gold) to the hurrying of building projects throughout the empire. The people did love him for that. If you walk down the street a ways and see his palace, you shall understand what I mean.

Well, time passed, as did Consuls. The one in charge of the era I will now speak of was Publius Martius Verus XXL. He was, how shall I say it... eager to fight? Yes, that sums it up. Well, as you can imagine, his first instinct when he took office was to immediately hault production of facilities in all cities. He wished to go about the world stomping on civilizations I assume. I managed to convince him that if we haulted production while in full swing, not only would we lose valuable production, but the people would likely revolt. He saw the ugliness in that, let me tell you. The one thing he prized (slightly) more than his Imperial Battle Armor, was his Imperial Throne, and Imperial Life. Consuls have been assassinated for much less I can assure you.

About the time Trajan's Markets (Adam Smith's) were completed in Alba Longa, we began the next best thing in this Consul's mind, the payment of pirate groups in the Olde World to attack shipping of other nations. This truly served no purpose whatsoever, but it appeased the Consul, which I was delighted to do (Adjutor Imperii like myself have been assassinated for much less). Rumor has it he even, on a trip to the city of Nova Ilia, took part in an attack himself. Rather vulgar thing for a Consul to do in my opinion, but I suppose it made him happy. The people still love to talk about in the forum to this day.

From this year -1595- onward, not much happened. Suffice it to say that this Consul's issue were inclined to expand like their ancestor was. Luckily, they were more content to build new cities to our immediate north, rather than conquer. I remember one of the lazier Consuls was content to live in one of our mountain city of Alpes Graiae. He left the entire operation to me. Ha! Twas a burden, sure, but I appreciated the reprieve from the constant demands of a superior. All that Consul managed to do in Alpes Graiae was build a new Coliseum, where he staged games in his honor to the applause of the local populace. He built, also, a wonderful mountain retreat palace there, which I have had the pleasure of occupying occasionally during holidays. If you think about it, it is quite funny that every month, when I managed the budget of the empire, I sent money to him from the treasuries in Venetium. Almost like he was in MY employ. Worthless expense, no doubt. In the business world I believe they call that loss or shrink. I don't follow the new words that came about from that technology we discovered called "Economics."

More recently, the current Consul decided to attack Egypt to acquire more slaves for the empire. It was to be a limited war from the beginning. No grand invasions or the like. Just a few Galleons worth of legions sent to raze some cities in the Olde World to acquire more slaves. Well, depressing as it was for my plans of political greatness, the attacks were successful, the most notable of which gained us 6,000 slaves (6 Egyptian Workers). I believe it was the city of New Byblos. Once again we are guilty of betraying our word. D*** these warmongering types, they will be the death of me.

Now you are thoroughly abreast of our situation. Below I have included artists sketches of some important sites in our empire that I have just told you about. Please view them and enjoy the greatness of Rome. I shall see you next time, for now I must return to pressing affairs of state.

--Salve!

Here are some pics of Venetium, Alpes Graiae, and a small map of the empire. Total, these pics equal 103K:
http://geocities.com/romanophile/empandalps.html

Here is a large map of the empire, but only the central parts of it. Its total size is 239K:
http://geocities.com/romanophile/biggie.html

Enjoy the pics!!
Old November 24, 2001, 01:09   #4
Barfus
Warlord

Sorry
I fixed the problems with the pictures on those links. The first one was not displaying, and the second link showed the wrong pic. Anyway, all taken care of. I'm off to play some more of this game, so stay tuned for a later update.
Old November 24, 2001, 08:01   #5
Footie Mad
Prince

Local Time: 18:21
Well written, and the pictures are really nice since you have little comments on them.
BTW Whats with the line of legionares above Hispalis, is someone threatening the empire?
It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars
Old November 24, 2001, 23:59   #6
Lord Cannager
Chieftain

im taking latin in school and salve is hello and alve is goodbye.

Old November 25, 2001, 01:32   #7
Barfus
Warlord

Latin
Out of Character:

Im no afficianado, but I learned that "Ave!" was "Hail!" (which I would thing is a greeting, not parting); and I looked up "Salve!," and the dictionary says it is "greeting, hail, or farewell." In any case, if I am wrong I stand corrected, but I will stick to my dictionary. Unfortunately I had to teach myself Latin so any tips are appreciated. I suck...Lord Cannager, feel free to correct any of my Latin that appears incorrect. Teaching nyself, I don't always know when I'm wrong. I think its sort of like the Hebrew Shalom though, either word could work for either greeting. I used to go to chat rooms on a site called Ancientsites.com, and when people left they would say "Salvete Omnes!" (Goodbye All!).

Willie:
Those troops above Hispalis, they are mine. I have them stationed there from a long time ago. When I first began settling the area, I figured someone else would show up soon and be a threat. So, I created a defense (took forever).

PS- thanks for the compliments.
Old November 25, 2001, 01:49   #8
Barfus
Warlord

War with Egypt
Ave!

Well, I tell you, it has been an eventful 25 years of administration since I last talked with you. With the Consul's firm orders given to me, I was assigned to the Collegium Militarum temporarily to stage a war against the Egyptians.

Now to be quite honest with you, the Consul had no further goal than to acquire more slaves for the Empire, but to the public he announced a grandiose crusade against the Egyptian oppressors of Ilemsburg (if you remember, our former home of "Ilium"). If only the people knew. But I suppose his true intentions weren't out of the people's favor, after all, the slaves destined to be captured would plow our fields and make our fatherland great.

Before I delve into the details of our martial campaign, let me tell you something I found humorous while I watched the Consul explain to the people our war. He had a large map up in the forum showing our invasion route (it had already started, so there was no fear of discovery by spies), and he said that we were headed to our great home city of Ilium. Well, the big red arrow representing our legions was to set down on a far (from Ilium) shore. Any dullard could see an invasion from our island base in Nova Ilia would be much more direct and efficient. But such is the people's intelligence (which is still higher than barbarian nations' intelligence, of course). Perhaps, though, they were keen on the idea of levelling Egypt in the process. After all, no disorder erupted throughout the course of the whole war. Do you see now why I wish peace? We need to build some Universities to promote general knowledge to the Roman people. Anyway, I'm sure you're bored now. Let's get to the war, shall we?

-=The Ilium Crusade (a.k.a. The Second Egyptian Slavery War)=-

++The Landing++
I reckon that the year was 1680 when we first put Roman soldiers on Egyptian soil. A lone Galleon Squad delivered 4,000 crack Roman recruits (4 Legionaries) to Egypt to do the Consul's bidding. The landing itself met no resistance, and we were able to set up field camps immediately with no threat. Within a few weeks of marching, we had laid the cities of Buhen, New Giza, and New Elephantine to siege under the famed Roman hobnail boot. Cleopatra was to occupied to leave Thebes, so her messenger told us, but she wished that we should leave her territory at once. Lest she be "forced to thrash us." Ha! A few soldiers died laughing at this one (some of the only casualties of the war).

++Year of 10,000,000 Slaves++
This was the year 1685, so monickered by the joyous populous of the Empire upon receipt of news that not one, not two, but all three cities we were attacking had fallen. And not only had they fallen, but the people capitulated so fully to the fasces of the Republic that 19,000 slaves were taken (19 Egyptian workers). I do love my legions. *Ahem* The Consul's Legions, I mean. Imagine only one legion taking an entire city! And not once, but three times did this happen. Fabulous, absolutely fabulous. I have heard whisperings that the Consul wishes to give me quite a raise, and my own quarters on the Palatine hill in Rome (though the capital is in Venetium now, many officers of the govt. are still housed in Rome [more space as its not on a tiny islet]).

Before the year was out, I issued orders to the legates to have the slaves moved to the original landing site on the Egyptian coast for retrieval by ships. Meanwhile, 2,000 legionaries were to continue inland, one heading north to Cairo. The remaining 2,000 troops were to escort the slaves. We wouldn't want them rescued by their Egyptian cousins-at-arms now, would we?

Unfortunately, right before all this fortune headed our way, disaster struck. Far to the south of the Egyptian lands we had founded a small city named Hierosalyma (Jerusalem), seemingly safe from attack in its remoteness. Apparently the greedy eyes of Cleopatra had been on it all along. For out of nowhere hordes of Cavalry stormed the ungarrisoned city where many of our Republic's Jews lived peacefully. The Hebrews remembered when Cleopatra had forced them to build her Pyramids of Thebes long ago, and petitioned us for help. Luckily we had a Legion assigned to exploration duty several hundred miles (10 tiles or so) to the north of the city. These men were immediately set southward to recapture our territory.

Using clever propaganda techniques, I managed to keep the news of this loss quiet until after the capture of the Egyptian cities, when I knew the impact would be less on the people of Rome.

**The Reconquest**
Around the same time as the Collegium Nutonii (Newton's University) was being completed in Brundisium, the politics back in the capital were heating up. Our policy the last few years had been to more or less cease conflict with the Egyptians and concentrate on moving slaves to the ferry point. We deemed it to risky to capture workers farther inland and send them several thousand miles to a rally point under guard. The only thing we had done actually was to send Legio X Fretensis to capture Cairo, then call it quits until we moved all slaves to the empire. This siege was getting tricky, just as the politics were.

The people, so the Tribuni Plebii (Tribunes of the People) told us, were eagerly awaiting news of the capture of Ilium, and growing tired of supporting a war for so long a time that produced no reults in relation to the supposed goal of the capture of the city. So I guess the people truly did expect us to get the city. As you could assume, me and the various military officers told them a siege was being put into action presently, and quickly ran to a council room to discuss how we could get the city quickly, as it had never actually been part of the General Objectives of the war. A copy of the minutes of our ad hoc meeting are enscribed below:

START MINUTES

Gaius Frontinus Sulla Magister Militum (Supreme Commander): "So, looks like we have to follow through on the Consuls promise? Ridiculous. All our legions are miles away. Even if we could get them through Egyptian territory unscathed, it would take months to make that march..."

Publius Junius Cicero Legatus Legionis (a General): "He's right Metellus, this just isn't feasible," shuffles documents. "However..."

Gaius Metellus Piso Adjutor Imperii: "However what, Legatus?"

Publius Junius Cicero Legatus Legionis" "If we were to activate the Legions stationed to the defense of the Isle and City of Nova Ilia and have them ferried the short distance to the Ilium shore by the Mare Ilium Fleet, we could have the siege underway within a few months."

Gaius Frontinus Sulla Magister Militum: "I would like to point out that the Egyptian capital of Thebes is a scant 300 miles away, if that. We can assume that this city, unlike the last three we've hit, will be far better garrisoned. Especially considering that the Great Lighthouse our ancestors built before we left is still standing."

Gaius Mettelus Piso Adjutor Imperii: "Duly noted, Magister. Gratias. Legatus, how quickly can we have those logistics drawn up for siege?"

Publius Junius Cicero Legatus Legionis: "I can bring them to headquarters andd have them ready by tomorrow morning. Um...the troops themselves will be on their way by late afternoon on the morrow."

Gaius Metellus Piso Adjutor Imperii: "Excellent, excellent. Make it so. Salvete Omnes! Ave Caesar et Martius Verus! Meeting adjourned."

END MINUTES

So that was that. We planned to have the city soon, if all went well.

++The Great Siege++
1695- As 3,000 troops set up camp about Ilium, the liberation of Hierosalyma was actuated far, far to the south. The Hebrews declared a general holiday and, in accordance with a tradition of no idolatry, honored the Consul by naming all the year's first born sons after him.
1700- As more and more slaves are ferried to the Empire, the siege of Cairo continued. The troops there (only 1 Legionary) are beginning to show signs of weakening, as their health approached the red.
Legionaries encamped about Ilium continue the siege valiantly, accumulating almost no losses, even against the heavy garrison (the Magister Militum's guess was correct).
1705- The Egyptians, even when they brought out their new weapons, muskets, did not hold against the great sons of the Tiber. The city of "Ilemsburg" was captured and promptly renamed to its ancient form: Ilium. The great origin of our race was at long last returned to the hands of her sons and daughters. For our losses, we enslaved 2,000 of the Egyptian population present and sent them out to the fields to improve the land with our newest mode of transportation: railways. Meanwhile in the city harsh resistance had to be quelled, and the assimilation of the people had to take place. Obviously the odd dialects of German and Egyptian had to be replaced by nice pure Latin.
The siege of Cairo seemed to be faultering according to all reports. But read this article from a Roman newspaper before I tell you more:
--
Dateline: Cairo, Egypt
By: Martia Claudia, Military Correspondent, RNN (Roman News Network)
Here, in the battle torn lands around delapidated Cairo I am watching the humbled Roman troops, only 1,000 of them now, preparing to make a last attack on the walls of the city. Though there is only one unit of spearmen inside, according to reconnaissance reports, these troops are so tired and in need of rations that the attack is expected to fail. This legion, with its Elite status in the entire force of Rome, has served its country well, and has declared that it will get this city or die trying. As I look around at the magnificent fortifications and siegeworks -a Roman standard- I am unfortunately fearing for my onwn life. For, though the battlements are strong, the troops do not look the same. And when this attack happens, if the troops do not return I will have to leave very quickly with whatever soldiers are left to retreat. I will report again tomorrow with news of Rome's Victory (I hope).
--
As you can see, no one onsite expected us to win. But, hail to the legions, victory was attained! Those last gallant troops saved us from having to close the war (which we had decided we would do whether or not we attained victory) in ignominous defeat. Yes, victory. We entered the near deserted city and enslaved another 3,000 Egyptians (3 Workers) before burning the whole place down.

++Cleopatra Sues for Peace++
We recieved news that Cleopatra wanted peace. At first we thought to assign an annual tribute for our letting her go, but upon negotiations we realized why she wished to end hostilities: she was bankrupt. I find it personally satisfying when we manage to drive a nation into financial desperation. Anyway, peace came without any side benefits for us. Just a simple end to hostilities.

++The Fruits of Victory++
All in all, it was a successful war. We lost only 1,348 troops (1 Legionary), and for our efforts gained a city -Ilium- which was ours anyway, but nevertheless a great acquisition, and a record 38,285 slaves (38 Workers)!

By the way, the Consul did give me that raise. and the palace on the Palatine.

--Salve

Heres some new pics detailing our recent exploits:
http://geocities.com/romanophile/hit.html
Old November 25, 2001, 16:47   #9
Barfus
Warlord

Sidebar
Here is a little pic I hope will be visible.

This is the heart of the Olde World, that at the beginning of the game we left. As you can see, it was a crowded start. All the capitals were built in close proximity to one another, and the area rapidly Balkanized shortly after we established an empire far away on "Roma Insulae." In effect, this is the Mediterranean Sea of the game. All empires sprang from this one area and after numerous wars Egypt emerged quite large to the general south of this map, France and Greece stole chunks of Egypt and now these empires literally form an "x" on top of Egypt, which is split into quadrants of sorts. No doubt Joan and Alexander will soon either squabble for the chunks of Egypt or kill each other. Germany and Babylon were pushed to extremes and now Babylon only has a few cities just north, while Germany lives on in an isle nearer to me, otherwise vanquished from the Olde World. Seeing as this was such prime real estate, I didnt want to abandon my turf right here in the heart of everything. It gives me a good base should something happen.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	medit1.jpg
Views:	2718
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	6526  
Old November 26, 2001, 10:15   #10
Barfus
Warlord

Interesting times ahead...
I just entered another war, and this one looks to be the death knell for someone. I want to wait till its complete before I post again, so hold out. Then again, a cliffhanger could be fun.
Old November 28, 2001, 20:08   #11
Grundel
Warlord

Very well written
Old November 29, 2001, 10:00   #12
Barfus
Warlord

Thank You
Im wrapping up another Egyptian war right now. I should post again soon.
Old November 29, 2001, 21:26   #13
Barfus
Warlord

OK, I just finished a war. Im gonna get offline right now and write the story and fiddle with the pics. Then Ill post it. Probably be about an hour or 2.

Thanks to everyone who voted for me!
Old November 29, 2001, 23:16   #14
Barfus
Warlord

50 Years War: Part I
Greetings to all! The last time we spoke, I believe I had just told you how we walloped Egypt into submission via our slave capturing war. Well, a grand war it was I must say. However, the future held far bleaker days as I would soon find out. Read on...

The year was 1756, a large retinue of Senators were making a day of seeing magnificent Greek tragedies and glorious Roman epics in a new theatre, THE new theatre in Cumae (Shakespeare's), and making good use of the wines provided by so many vendors in the streets outside. Meanwhile, outside, the Consul and his Praetorian Guard were milling about trying to find something to do. This Consul wasn't very accustomed to cultured things like theatre you see. The Consul flitted about, stopping at this spot and the other, until a Praetorian grabbed his shoulder and whipped him around.

"Your soldiers wish me to give you this," the ornately armored guard said. And with that, he drove the world renowned gladius that had been issued to him into the gut of the world renowned leader in front of him.

As one would guess, chaos ensued. Until, that is, the member of the late Consul's family who was responsible for the assassination presented himself and claimed the Curule chair for himself. To be expected. *sigh*

As I am accustomed to, immediately orders were presented to me regarding the new order. And this New Order had as its first order of business to get things packed up and to make sail out of Venetium to Rome. The capital was being moved again. So we all went, and I sailed away from my beautiful island city to the pompous capital that was Rome. Oh sure, Rome had culture, but it was all imported from various parts of the Empire. Venetium, my sweet Venetium, she had culture all her own.

Well, things weren't disturbed to badly. As a general statement, the Empire was still pretty much running as it was before the "election" of our new Consul. And so it went for a number of years. Then, I received a disturbing message from a Legate posted to our ancient city of Ilium, so recently wrested from the treacherous Egyptians. In it, he disclosed details of troop movements, under the banner of the Sovereign Queen Cleopatra, within the borders set by treaty in the last war of our nation. Of all the nerve! Immediately I left the new offices I had been assigned adjacent to the Imperial offices and palaces, and set out for the cluster of embassies in the west of the city.

Upon arrival at Egypt's embassy, I asked to speak with the person holding the most direct link with Cleopatra herself, so that she would understand the gravity of my coming statements. When I finally made contact with this person, I demanded with all my authority that all troops be moved from our borders at once. He responded with a typical answer of feigned ignorance of the situation. So it went for a few days until I finally ordered him to move his troops or declare an absolution of the peace treaty. That, to my dismay, he did.

Thus started the War of Egyptian Aggression, as most called it until nearer its end, when it had gained a more popular nomen: The 50 Years War.

But, there was some good news, you see. For, in the course of bickering with this ambassador, I sent several of my deputies to negotiate an alliance with France, as of late a great friend to the Roman People. Quite literally hours before Egypt declared war, France threw in her lot with us. Immediately following the Egyptian declaration, France was drawn into the fight on our side. This is very fortunate considering we had almost no territory in the area save our enclave of Ilium. Though I still wonder if Joan cursed her foreign advisors for not looking into our situation with Egypt before signing such a hasty pact.

-=Opening Stages=-
Having no troops mobilized for war at the time it broke out, we had to make due with what we did have, which was a local defense force in Nova Ilia, on an island. Immediately these men were put aboard Galleons and ferried the small distance across the bay to Ilium. We intended to solidify our position around our ancient former capital, and let the French beat the Egyptians back into submission around us. As they had grown quite strong to our immediate south.

While studying a map of the Olde World in my antechambers, I noticed that if for some reason Greece should become entangled in conflict against France at present, Joan would have to fight a two front war, something I deemed her unable to do. Using my political wits, I assumed (correctly) that if I enlisted the aid of Greece against Egypt, Alexander would soon find himself aligned with France and not cause her any harm. So, using some connections I had in the Department of Agriculture, I secured some of the finer wines and spices we had, and after placing them aboard a Galleon destined for Hellas, soon found Alexander a most receptive listener. He saw my plight and immediately put his word to his promise of troops. He was now in the fight against Egypt.

To me, it seemed Egypt would soon crumble while I held strong in my positions and watched Pyramids crumble in front of me. After all, the great invasion column I had reports of heading toward Ilium, by all accounts, had fractured and now went every which direction striking against various Greek and French locales. I had established a front line in some antiquated fortresses to the city's (Ilium's) south, and it seemed to be holding the marauding warriors of the Nile.

So it went for a year or so. I hadn't done any reconnaissance, but I assumed the Greeks and French were gaining territory. I had gone so far even as to sail out of the mainland empire for Ilium, to better command the war from there. A messenger of Joan's was to meet me in a French city to Ilium's immediate north called New Rheims.

-=Turning Point=-
My arrival in Ilium was greeted with bad news. The Egyptians, in a pitched battle, had defeated our magnificent legions just to the southwest of the front line, in territory shared by Greek and Egyptian alike. The few troops that made it back home from the battle reported of columns of enemy soldiers behind the battle moving around to our western flank. Though this flank was protected by water, the land on the opposite side was mostly fledgling Greek towns that probably could not with stand assaults from besieging soldiers. Hence, we might be surrounded on the one side by Egyptians if their campaign over there proved fruitful.

Further dread was poured into me when news reached my new headquarters that, completely unbeknownst to us, the Egyptians had marched wide along our eastern border and come around to sack and capture the city of French New Rheims. Now we had Egyptian forces to our unprotected north. This war was quickly turning dangerous. If we let the Egyptians sit to long in that city, they would raise more forces and send them south to attack us. Luckily I acted quickly enough that I was able to bring some soldiers off the front line to the south and send them north to liberate New Rheims (for return to the French, of course). Unfortunately, the rails I built ended short of the French city, due to France's lack of intelligence, and my troops were forced to march the rest of the way, stalling any immediate recapture.

-=The Alexandrian Offensive=-
One of the few native Egyptian cities to my southwest before they all turned Greek was Alexandria. Now, I had never intended to venture outside my borders and do any offensive fighting myself, but by 1774, it was becoming clear that if I didn't slow the momentum of the Egyptian attack, Cleopatra might very well be sacrificing to Isis from a new temple in Lyons, the capital of France. Anyway, Alexandria became my objective. For reasons that shall be explained below.

Early in the year, I sent my best spies into Egypt to see what they could come up with. Expecting some minor movements and positions, I ended up with the entirety of Cleopatra's plans instead! The spies were given hefty rewards while I sat down to study the documents they had given me.

From them, I gathered that the Egyptians were moving north in two major groups. One appeared to be heading for Alexandria, no doubt as a base of operations against me. The other seemed to be on the verge of enveloping my French counterpart's capital. There was nothing I could do to help Joan, my troops would have been too little too late if I sent them, if they even made it. But as for Alexandria, it was practically down the street. If I sent a few crack legions to raze the city I would be free of the problem. Egypt's troops would have to do as mine were doing, join the front line. Not as they were planning: to strike from a well garrisoned base. The worst of which is that Alexandria lay just outside the weakest part of my line. But the main area of hostilities was at the eastern end of the front, so it couldn't be reinforced.

I did what any man in similar circumstances would, I tell you!! So, there was a grand monument in Alexandria. The "Great" Wall. I saw no use for it. What should I have done, withdrawn soldiers from the front? I think not, then not only would the front have crumbled, but Alexandria AND Ilium would have been made open to attack. Worse than attack, encirclement by the enemy. I couldn't put all those resources into crushing resistance only to have to stay in the city and hold it. Like I said, the troops were needed at the front. And I did what any man would have done. I burnt the city to the ground. Wall and all. The slaves, of course, went back to Ilium. Now I had no fear of a strongpoint for Egyptian attack. This proved correct, as my spies told me that the troops marching toward Alexandria ended up breaking into groups and heading for the Greek cities. Perhaps not a good thing, but better than it would have been had I not done what I had.

From this point on, our fighting became offensive. We sent out more troops to lay siege to the Egyptian city of Berlin, to our east. To the Consul I sent word that any gains we made in this war would be given to France to counter the mounting power of Alexander. He approved, and the war, as far as I could tell, became the war of Roman aggression. *sigh* Imperium Sine Fine.

OUT OF CHARACTER:
I decided to do this in two parts because 1) I realized I had just written alot, and 2) I was anxious to get something up as I havent added to the story in a bit. I should post the rest by tonight or tomorrow at the latest. Hopefully with some pics.

Last edited by Barfus; November 29, 2001 at 23:29.
Old December 3, 2001, 23:45   #15
Barfus
Warlord

AArgh!
Sorry I haven't posted the completion to the story, my game has been crashing like so many hijacked planes the last few sessions of play. Its really aggravating me. However, I do have some notes from before it went kaput, so I'll get them shaped into a story as soon as I can. Right now Im kinda swamped with midterm exams and a fever/cold. Not exactly up for extra work if ya know what I mean.

PS- Congratulations to Grundel on your winning the contest! Great story!
Old December 4, 2001, 18:24   #16
Grundel
Warlord

Thank you, Barfus. I felt your story was not only entertaining, but very well written. I hope that you plan on posting some more
Old December 7, 2001, 11:41   #17
Bane Star
Warlord

Local Time: 02:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
different icons
is it just me? I'm in australia and sometimes we get different versions of things (e.g. Men In Black we had 35minutes cut from the american version and 4 minutes added that americans didin't get to see)
So when I saw the screen shot above, I'm like:
HANG TEN there are things on your screen that are TOTALLY different from mine, The jungle trees thingies? the fortress icon? the irrigation icons? these are all totally different, and I even went through the art-files looking for them, Wassup?

anyone??
Old December 7, 2001, 15:03   #18
SerapisIV
King

They're from a mod file from Sn00py in the Civ3-Files archive.

Civ3 - Files Forum (look for Sn00py's name as thread title, they might be on older pages as well)
Old June 24, 2002, 09:32   #19
hetairoi22
Warlord

Local Time: 18:21
Will the last part ever be released! I loved the story
Old January 9, 2003, 17:05   #20
Centauri18
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Prince

Local Time: 10:21
Write the last part, man, we're all waiting!
Old January 9, 2003, 19:22   #21
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 11:21
Ah, yes, this is one of my favoutrite stories... Quite a pity that it was never finished. Though taking into consideration the fact that the last chapter came over a year ago, I wouldn't be surprised if it never is. Barfus has gone to the dark side of PBEM's
Spore page
Old January 10, 2003, 19:19   #22
Centauri18
Prince

PBE-what?
Old January 10, 2003, 19:28   #23
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

If I am not mistaken, it means Play By E-Mail. Which is a multiplayer mode of Civ3:PtW. Then again, I don't have PtW, so I might be wrong.
Spore page
Old January 10, 2003, 19:29   #24
Centauri18
Prince

Oh.
Old January 12, 2003, 22:32   #25
Barfus
Warlord

the dark side?!?! you know, i never have actually engaged in a multiplayer. just never seems to happen. surprised anyone wants me to finish this though. and quite flattered i guess. truth is, school and everything else kinda bogged me down. and on top of that i think i lost a contest and sort of got deflated as to finishing anymore. and perhaps the game started boring me as well. but maybe just for the sake of my fellow readers, ill finish it.

ill make you a deal, if i can find the old save game, i may just fire it up and play it to conclusion and write out the end. usually what happens is i get bored with a game if it starts getting to far in my favor near the modern era. sort of like knowing youll win. not that im good or anything.

anyway, sound good?

thanks for your support btw
Old January 12, 2003, 22:37   #26
vovan
Emperor

Sounds like a plan.
Spore page
Old January 12, 2003, 22:41   #27
Barfus
Warlord

however i was just reading through my old posts, it appears the game was crashing on me a lot. maybe now it will work better. i will keep you posted and if it doesnt work out ill pretend it did and write a glorious victory for myself.
Old January 12, 2003, 22:56   #28
vovan
Emperor

Aha, so now you promise us to write the ending regardless of whether you find that old save or not. Good.
Spore page
Old January 13, 2003, 07:24   #29
Barfus
Warlord

uh oh. i think i made a mistake. fair enough, but i didnt say by when. actually, last night i found the game, and one thing that stinks is you cant play it in ptw. i have to use old civ3. otherwise, it seems to not be crashing.

but by the looks of the game, i would say its over for the ai. im in a healthy position. anyone know if there is a way to play civ3 games in ptw? that would be nicer.
Old January 14, 2003, 22:21   #30
Barfus
Warlord

as soon as i read all my stories (to get back in the flow) ill get to writing the follow up. may be awhile.....working on about a thousand projects, plus school