Old November 23, 2001, 11:59   #1
niteowl
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:23
Local Date: October 31, 2010
terraforming sea squares

Has anyone ever tried to terraform sea squares to build ''roads'' across the ocean?

I was able to modify the alpha.txt file to allow it, but none of my land based units would walk/drive across these bridges that I built.

Any suggestions?

?????
Old November 23, 2001, 12:59   #2
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 11:23
I don't know the answer to your question but I am curious as to whether boats would only use 1/3 movement point if on such a "sea road" ? Did you try moving boats on the "road"?
Old November 23, 2001, 18:44   #3
Basilisk
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:23
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Were you manually trying to move them into the sea squares, or placed them on 'Go-To' mode? If you can manually it would stil be quite good...
Old November 23, 2001, 19:50   #4
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 14:23
"sea roads" dont work with either moving land units on them or increasing movement rate of ships. i've tried. what does work are sea sensor platforms. useful if you need an extra 2 radius viewing as early warning for transports IOD's or whathaveyou. have to be in your sea territory though and don't give you a +25% bonus IRRC. if you consider this "cheating" then you can always make a trawler with deep radar and position it offshore...
Old November 23, 2001, 20:08   #5
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 11:23
I always thought that sea sensors or sonar buoys were something that would be useful but to be effective they would have to not be bound by the territory rules. Wouldn't it be great if you could drop these anywhere in the ocean and they would let you see that area.

Oh well, one can dream.