Old November 23, 2001, 15:42   #1
Yxklyx
Warlord

Local Time: 17:23
Local Date: October 31, 2010
What spurs faction hatred?
Playing the University on Librarian. I've had only a few communications with the Gaians so why would their attitude be seething against me? Is my Planned S.E. enough to erode the relationship that much? We're all about equal on the power grid.
Old November 23, 2001, 16:07   #2
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 11:23
Sometimes the AI is just a pain in the a##.

Seriously though the AI will get peeved if you run their avaersion or if you are first in power its true. Other than that they could be bribed to hate you or are just being a pain.

While the general rules seem to apply, there sometimes just seems to be an element of randomness in the AI diplomacy. If you really want to make nice with them, try running their preferred SE choice and try to gift them something (like a small number of ec)-- get their attitude happy and trade a bit--

It might be just as easy to forget their attitude and go kill off a few of their best bases and not stop until they give you all their tech and money and pledge to serve you-- "Submissive" is the best attitude of them all
Old November 23, 2001, 18:42   #3
Basilisk
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:23
Local Date: November 1, 2010
So far in my experiece, running a faction's aversion seriously erodes your relationship with me. I remember oen game where i was doing rather well, pact with Deirdre and so on. I decided to go for Planned Economics, as i was the Spartans and was sick of the 10% more minerals requirement. Very quickly she cancelled the pact and was soon after that at war with me, and then bribed Miriam and Yang against me as well! I was not happy. Moral : Dee can be a b!tch if you run planned, but loves you if you don't. But if you are dealing with Yang or Miriam they will not change their opinion of you positively because of your social choices, but they will change them negatively.
Old November 24, 2001, 23:28   #4
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

Local Time: 12:23
A number of things can anger the other factions early on. If you're on conflicting SE paths, there will very quickly be war, no matter what you do to delay it. If you two are near the top of the powergraph together, the AI will recognize you as an enemy and go after you, regardless of past agreements, more or less.
Old November 25, 2001, 18:31   #5
dojoboy
Mac
Prince

Local Time: 13:23
Interesting --- I was playing Deirdre on Transcend and found myself sharing land w/ Lal. He was seething on first contact and made some demand. Of course, I refused which always gets me into trouble. But, I was dumbfounded as to why he was seething from the start. Who gets SE settings 2-3 turns into the game?

Lately, I've been pinning for a real friend, so I've been playing games w/ two identical factions in them. I change my titles and names for the Hive and let the AI play Yang. Firts attempt, I got a Pact w/ Yang fairly early, but had to come rescue him from the Usurpers.
Old November 25, 2001, 23:05   #6
Basilisk
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:23
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by dojoboy
Interesting --- I was playing Deirdre on Transcend and found myself sharing land w/ Lal. He was seething on first contact and made some demand. Of course, I refused which always gets me into trouble. But, I was dumbfounded as to why he was seething from the start. Who gets SE settings 2-3 turns into the game?
could be that Lal was wanting to expand and you were in the way?
Old November 26, 2001, 13:35   #7
Clear Skies
Prince

I often find that factions just hate you. No particular reason.

Often it may be because you happen to be #1 on the power chart - or even just above them. Another may be you're running their aversion SE chioces. You might have a tech lead or a territory lead, or even a military lead (yes, the AI is that stupid!)

But to be honest, I have been in loads of situations where the AI just declares Vendetta for no good reason. And usually it's Dee.
"Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman
Old November 26, 2001, 16:17   #8
DilithiumDad
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 12:23
Power ranking has a LOT to do with it. The #1 and #2 factions will automatically be at odds, and the lesser factions will try to ally with either #1 or #2. Didi seems to be especially sensitive to this, and if you are #1 and she is #2 or #3 you will definitely be in vendetta. Didi seems to be programmed to stick up for underdogs, so she is the first to decide "You are getting too powerful. Even in friendship, my goals will be compromised." Lal shows similar traits, although not as strongly. Didi's support for the downtrodden usually means she is allied with Morgan (assuming both are AI) despite their supposedly being "nemesis" factions. Santiago, on the other hand, seems to respect strong factions and despise weak ones. All in all, you are going to be in conflict with someone!
Old November 26, 2001, 16:23   #9
Yxklyx
Warlord

Is there a way to get the power ratings other than from the graph? In this case there were 4 factions all about the same height on the graph and it was not possible to figure out the rankings.
Old November 26, 2001, 16:25   #10
Adalbertus
Prince

Local Time: 18:23
Quote:
All in all, you are going to be in conflict with someone!
Just got the idea: Is that the reason why some factions love to break a pact when they have submitted? I recently had a game where supposedly submissive Miriam declared war on me just when I were about to finish off with the last enemy. (Miriam seems to love to submit and play turncoat. She even submits when I just stroll along with some gunship.)
Old November 26, 2001, 16:37   #11
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 10:23
Quote:
Originally posted by Yxklyx
Is there a way to get the power ratings other than from the graph? In this case there were 4 factions all about the same height on the graph and it was not possible to figure out the rankings.
Look at your might. For example, even if it looks like you are in a four way tie for first on the power graph, if you are "unsurpassed" you are number one. The might rating will rank the seven factions in order.
Old November 26, 2001, 16:40   #12
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 10:23
...and complicating matters, there seems to be a one turn discrepancy between the bar chart and the other graph.
Old November 26, 2001, 18:23   #13
Merlin
Settler

I thought Social Engineering choices only made any kind of impact later in the game. Personally, I always attack the Hive, simply because Yang once sprung a surprise attack on me. Every game I start now i kill him off a.s.a.p. Maybe that has something to do with who loves me and who hates me!