Old March 31, 2000, 15:07   #1
jdlessl
Warlord

Local Time: 19:16
Local Date: October 30, 2010
First off, the current system of air units flying around for one turn, then having to return the next is really stupid. They also can't fly anywhere near as far as they should be able to in a year. How about making it so they stay in the air all the time and all the returning to base to RRR is assumed. To counter this, air units have a very limited range. They can only go X number of squares from a friendly airbase. Better air units can go further (prop < jet < scramjet). This range limitation only counts limits where you end the turn, so you can send the plane wherever but you'd better have it finish close to a base.

Now, instead of attacking enemy units directly, air units have a patrol radius, in which they do a certain aount of damage to any enemy units inside it.

J Lessl
Old March 31, 2000, 17:15   #2
Atahualpa
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Latin Lovers
Emperor

Local Time: 01:16
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Try not to make it too complicate!

ATa
Old April 1, 2000, 01:04   #3
Sir Shiva

Better Air Warfare
I find that it is too easy to conduct an air war in CivII..

So in Civ3, perhaps we could have SAM Site tile improvements, which could fire a missile at a nearby aircraft (perhaps 2 squares radius) and then we could see an animation of a missile fired at a plane.. It's success rate should not be 100%, but it should be able to make the use of fighters more risky.. These SAMs can be taken out ny fighters/ground units/cruise missiles, as in real life..

Also, bombers must be loaded up with a specific payload before being usable.. For example, you could build an atom bomb, and load it onto a bomber and then send it out to bomb.. In peacekeeping/humanitarian missions (?) you could load it with supplies/food and use it to make airdrops.. Also, paratroopers must be loaded onto air transports and must then be unloaded into a tile from the transport..

------------------
-Shiva
Email: shiva@mailops.com
Web: http://www.crosswinds.net/india/~shiva

Old April 1, 2000, 01:40   #4
OrangeSfwr

I like the idea of giving all planes a power bar and a fuel bar. The Fuel could be refilled if it lands on a city, airbase, or carrier. Bombers and fighters should have a much larger range. (25 spaces?) and must end every turn on a nonocean square, or a city airbase or carrier. None of this plane staying in the air for a year like in Civ 2. All planes must land at the end of their turn. If not, they have run out of fuel. Fuel should be decreased at a rate of about 1/75 tank per space traveled over (After 3 turns, plane has no fuel). I don't know if this is practical. It's late and I'm tired but tell me what you think, and feel free to add

------------------
~~~I am who I am, who I am - but who am I?~~~