Old November 23, 2001, 23:42   #1
Fei
Settler

Local Time: 17:24
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Sex!
Now that I've got your attention, please read on.......I wouldn't have done this if it wasn't important

First off, I would like to say that this is the best place on the net for Civilisation(or Civilization, if you're American) strategies and ideas. However, has anyone ever thought about consolidating all these great ideas, especially from Velociryx, into one page? By "one page", I mean one page subdivided into many categories. I'm sure that Apolyton.net wouldn't mind maintaining such a page?! would it?? People can still post on this forum, but someone should select ideas from all these posts and categorise them. This will save people from having to wonder about misleading topic headings(like mine, above), and also greatly help people who want to look for specific strategies. Also, it will also filter out inaccurate information. Somehow, it seems to me that

http://apolyton.net/civ3/strategy/

is not really too well done and could use some "web city improvements". Furthermore, Consolidating all this information on one page will GREATLY help the Apolyton get more hits. I'm sure that many have noticed the lack of a good strategy website for Civ3. One example of how this new page should be organised will be something like this:

http://www.kfoshaug.com/civ3/strateg...iestarter.html

This page has reasonable organisation, albeit little strategies. How about appealing to create a similar page on Apolyton? What do all ya people think??? Don't flame moi if yer don't agree with moi ideas. okie??
Old November 24, 2001, 00:56   #2
Nadexander
Warlord

Local Time: 09:24
This doesnt work. The best strategies arise through discourse, disagreement and discussion (eventually through MP competition). Strategy isnt something thats collected like hard data (for example, the chance of a unit x attacking unit y under condition z is blah blah blah). Stategy has to be subjected to the criticism of others before it can be trusted. Even then it can always be overthrown by new analysis or innovation. The discussion boards are the way to go.
Old November 24, 2001, 01:37   #3
Fei
Settler

But even then, apart from the various theories on how to calculate culture, tech turns and whatnot, there are still some basic strategies that have been proven to work(at least 90%) of the time. Also, there are some techniques(not really strategies) that are sure to improve your game. Examples include not-so-obvious things like building cities on top of resources. And how leaders can rush build wonders. These are things that the average gamer might not know.

Of course, I'm not suggesting that a strategy page replace the discussion board. As you have said, stategy has to be subjected to the criticism of others before it can be trusted. No one can have a strategy that is sure to work but a consolidation of the various strategies available is sure to open the minds of people.

With respect to what you have said: "the best strategies arise through discourse, disagreement and discussion (eventually through MP competition)". I tentatively suggest that the best strategies arise not from talking, but from actual playing. Civilization is not a game about creating the best strategies through discussion, it is about creating the best strategies through playing. And what I suggest is to have a page with strategies more easily available to everyone, so that these strategies may be tried by people all over the world, and be further improved upon.

If you say that the world must be destoryed, let it be. If you say that the universe will die, let it happen. If you say I can be killed, I must simply laugh.
Old November 24, 2001, 02:21   #4
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 09:24
strats will change over the course of the year..lets wait a bit and just keep on civin
Old November 24, 2001, 03:47   #5
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 12:24
One thing is for sure, post patch strat will differ from what we are doing now. And mp strat will be a whole different category.
Old November 24, 2001, 13:46   #6
NotLikeTea
Warlord

I agree with the organilizational comment.

I have a slow internet connection, and I'd like to beable to read strategy offline.

Vel's early game comments are brilliant, but I'd like to have them in a text file offline, not spread out over 4 pages of forums.
Old November 24, 2001, 14:50   #7
Blaupanzer
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 13:24
Take a look at the Civ 2 Strategy section. At the top is a section called the "Great Library." (Hmmm, wonder where they got that name?) This was built by gamers for gamers. If that's what you have in mind and you are willing to manage/build/organize others to build such a thing, I don't think you'll have any trouble convincing Ming or Mark G. to let you do it.
Old November 24, 2001, 15:53   #8
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 11:24
Indeed, the CivII Great Library has been great - many people have learned much from the threads. Also, when somebody has a question that is answered there, it is simple to refer them to it - instead of to "some thread called this or that a few months ago." It's been a very good reference source, and has actually sped up much of our analysis and understanding of the game. A Civ3 library would be good good good.

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old November 24, 2001, 18:13   #9
Rasbelin
Emperor

Local Time: 19:24
OT: Good thread name?
Is it a neat way to get attention by naming the thread "Sex!"? I assume something else would have been more correct, but I don't want preach morale to you. Just please take this as an advice.
Old November 24, 2001, 18:55   #10
Fei
Settler

I was merely using the most exaggerated title heading that I could think of. I was just trying to show how misleading some title headings can be. I hope that I have brought my point across. Of course, some people may take that to imply that I am someone of loose morals but morals are what make a man on the inside. As long as I am clear of my ideals, and follow them, it doesn't matter how others may view me. BTW, since you have suggested it, is it possible to change the title heading??