Old November 24, 2001, 20:57   #1
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 19:26
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I almost broke my monitor!
And there I was on my second civ 3 game. I had abandoned my first one (on reagant) after the AI played me for a fool in building cities much faster than me..

If that's how it wants to play it, fine! (I innocently thought).

So there I was creating settlers like a maniac right there in the middle between 3 civs. Meanwhile, my warriors had scanned almost the whole of the big continent I was on.

I cut off all the other civs from most resources, created a solid civ with all the cities connected and I outrun the indians for control of a sub continent that was accessible only by a thin land piece.

The only problem was that between two of my remote cities there was nothing but jungle.

No problem, I casually thought, I can deal with it later.

And so I did. After building a worker and put him to work on the jungle in order to clear it up and make a grassland on to which I would build my city and then having him killed by barbarians (that can RECREATE camps... ) I had my settler all made up and ready to go. But go where? there was no grassland, just the jungle.

So I build another worker, make him walk across the continent to reach the jungle and had him accompanied with a Hoplite.

And just as I was waiting for the 2 last round for clearing up the jungle (which takes a LOOONG time), an indian settler shows up out of nowhere and casually builts a city next to my worker right there ON THE JUNGLE

Of course I thought, hey stupid AI the city is going to starve...

BUT THE JUGNLE WHERE THE CITY WAS BUILT HAD AUTOMATICALLY BEEN TRANSFORMED TO A GRASSLAND

fooking hell!
Old November 24, 2001, 20:59   #2
Bereta_Eder
Settler

it's a new game alright
Old November 24, 2001, 21:17   #3
Green Giant
Warlord

Local Time: 11:26
Yep. Desert, jungle and mountainous terrain are now good spots to put cities due to the new resource sytem. I like it.
Old November 24, 2001, 21:23   #4
Bereta_Eder
Settler

yeah, I like it too.

I would have liked even more to know about it before hand...!

but I am too excited to read the manual (just read the "if you've played the game before" chapter)

Now I got an indian city cutting my civ in half.

which means I'll have to build up my military and I have other things to do.

BTW where's the reputation indicator?

and what happens if you build a city in a desert or a... mountain????
Old November 24, 2001, 21:58   #5
Lord Cannager
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:26
So,let me get this straight, if u build a city in the jungle it turns to grassland?but i ve done it before and it doesn 't change.

Old November 24, 2001, 22:07   #6
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Tha AI (Indians) built a city on a jungle.

I then right clicked their city and it told me that the terrain was now grassland!

An AI cheat? Can't you do it too?

(I cant run Civ 3 now to check it out)
Old November 24, 2001, 22:18   #7
Excelsior
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by paiktis22
Can't you do it too?
Sure you can. Building a city on forest or jungle removes the vegetation and converts the square to the underlying terrain. For example, if you build a city on a forested tundra square, it will become a tundra square, (I would assume; I'm not sure I've ever built on tundra. I usually let the AI waste his resources doing that and then take it from him by culture.).
Old November 24, 2001, 22:25   #8
cassembler
Prince

IIRC, I think wherever you build a city, you're guaranteed at least two food, one shield, and one trade....

Of course, I'm probably wrong... But I do find myself building more cities on hills, tundra, etc...
Old November 24, 2001, 23:03   #9
Sevorak
Warlord

Local Time: 17:26
A city square gives you 2 food, 1 shield, 1 trade, +1 trade if river, and applying the + of the special resource, if any. This is the same regardless of the underlying terrain - jungle and forest are automatically cleared, since the terrain base type only matters for the defensive bonus.

Therefore, building closely packed cities on tundra is in fact a very efficient way of using that terrain, since you otherwise would not get 2 food, 1 shield, 1 trade out of a Tundra (you could get 1 food, 2 shield, 1 trade out of a railed mined tundra though).

-Sev
Old November 24, 2001, 23:45   #10
Sabre2th
King

Local Time: 13:26
Quote:
Originally posted by Green Giant
Yep. Desert, jungle and mountainous terrain are now good spots to put cities due to the new resource sytem. I like it.
You can't build on mountains in civ3 and AFAIK, deserts still make lousy places for cities.
Old November 25, 2001, 00:55   #11
Green Giant
Warlord

I meant cities built in the middle of a mountain range. I know you can't build directly on top of a mountain. Sure, a city in the middle of desert won't grow to big, but your chance of getting oil later on decreases. For the most part I only have a core group of 7-9 major producing cities and the rest I use for access to resources until later in the game.
Old November 25, 2001, 03:53   #12
Raleigh
Warlord

Hey can someone please tell me what the following expressions mean?

IIRC

AFAIK

Thanks!
Old November 25, 2001, 04:06   #13
Cian McGuire
Warlord

If I Recall Correctly

As Far As I Know
Old November 25, 2001, 04:28   #14
hetairoi22
Warlord

Local Time: 18:26
IIRC = If I Recall (remember) Correctly

AFAIK = As Far As I Know

EDIT: Ooops, forgot to reload and see if someone had answered already...

Hmm, about the terrain discussion; I cannot *help* 'cause I haven't got my hands on the Game yet... Interesting though. I'll keep in mind the thing 'bout, forests diseparing and 2/1/1 city squares. Thanx
Old November 26, 2001, 05:30   #15
Raleigh
Warlord

THANKS MUCH!!!
Old November 26, 2001, 06:14   #16
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 18:26
Yep, I've built city on jungles and forests before and they have become grasslands or plains (whichever relevent to the underlying tile). You can play them at this game, which I have done before...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old November 26, 2001, 06:15   #17
TheRascalKing
Chieftain

It really wouldn't have mattered too much if you had read the manual. The manual FAILS TO MENTION dozens upon dozens of things you just have to figure out while you're playing the game. Jeesh...Firaxis and Infogrames suck. I wish Blizzard would buy the rights to Civilization...they would do it right.

<~~Balloons are the BEST!
Old November 26, 2001, 06:37   #18
LaRusso
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Sabre2th

You can't build on mountains in civ3 and AFAIK, deserts still make lousy places for cities.
nah, when you build on deserts or hills you also get 2-1-1 thingie, i abuse that often
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old November 26, 2001, 06:48   #19
xane
Chieftain

I'm sure somewhere in the manual it warns about building cities on Jungle squares, stating the city would be prone to disease, but thats a bit stupid if the underlying terrain is converted anyway !

BTW I don't find clearing Jungles too difficult, just use lots of Workers !

Oh and BTW = by the way.
Old November 26, 2001, 06:49   #20
deafhawk
Settler

Contrary, middle of desert can be a great place for your cities assuming you have some flood plains squares nearby. flood plains balance out the lack of food production in desert squares. You would want to build the city on a desert square instead onf on flood plains tho for couple of reasons.
For complete desert you can build decent cties but much later when you got railroad. Roadroaded, irrigrated desert squares give you 2 food, 1 shield, one commerce not bad! possible to have size 20 city on complete desert area with the right technology!
Old November 26, 2001, 07:00   #21
LaRusso
King

Quote:
Originally posted by deafhawk
Contrary, middle of desert can be a great place for your cities assuming you have some flood plains squares nearby. flood plains balance out the lack of food production in desert squares. You would want to build the city on a desert square instead onf on flood plains tho for couple of reasons.
For complete desert you can build decent cties but much later when you got railroad. Roadroaded, irrigrated desert squares give you 2 food, 1 shield, one commerce not bad! possible to have size 20 city on complete desert area with the right technology!
yeah, like phoenix, sitting pretty and waiting for oil to pop out
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.