Old November 25, 2001, 04:33   #1
Raleigh
Warlord

Local Time: 12:27
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Reputation Problems
Well, here I thought I was playing an honest game, but now only years after I crushed an enemy civ does another tell me that I broke promises with my defeated enemy, only *I* had no idea I broke any deal. Maybe it was the 20 year peace treaty? But that treaty says it lasts until war is declared. Go figure. Is there any way to check your reputation?!
Old November 25, 2001, 08:23   #2
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Local Time: 18:27
Not directly. But whenever you break a deal with a turn number -including peace treaties- your reputation suffers.

After 20 turns, there is no more turn number, and you can then end the deal without disadvantage.
Old November 26, 2001, 05:22   #3
Raleigh
Warlord

Local Time: 12:27
But when I wanted to let the treaty expire normally my advisor said that would put us in a direct state of war! That was strange. I didn't want open aggression I just wanted a normal status quo I had with everyone...
Old November 26, 2001, 19:57   #4
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Local Time: 18:27
The normal status quo is a peace treaty. When you encounter a new Civ, a peace treaty is automatically assumed to be signed. If you don´t want war, just leave it alone.
Old November 26, 2001, 20:28   #5
Trunks22
Settler

Local Time: 09:27
yar, that happened to me too. America declared war on me, so i launched 10 ICBM's on all their main cities. This hella damaged my reputation for some reason, cuz France, Egypt, and Babylon used to be "polite" or "gracious" now they're FURIOUS?? No mutual pacts, no nothing. I juss launch 10 ICBM's in defense and everyone mad at me...wtf.

Does ICBM suppose to have that effect??
Old November 26, 2001, 20:50   #6
Pyrodrew
Prince

Local Time: 09:27
The manual states a few things that can hurt your reputation, unfortunately they are all spread out throughout the manual instead of being under the Reputation section. This is the worst manual I've ever seen.

1.Using Nukes hurt your reputation.
2.Declaring war on a civ you have "Rights of Passage" with hurts your reputation (even if you have no troops in their territory).
3.Making peace with an enemy when you have an active Military Alliance against them hurts your reputation.

...which ones did I forget?

Also the AI Civs start to mimic your behavior. The more you break your word & have a poor reputation, the more they will break their word & have poor reputations... especially when dealing with you.