Old November 25, 2001, 15:56   #1
Venger
King

Local Time: 11:29
Local Date: October 31, 2010
No CD crack reduces turn time by alot?
Read this in another thread and thought it deserved it's own - someone mentioend the NoCD crack reduces in between wait time for the AI and other wait times. Anyone being brutalized by wait times want to try it?

Venger
P.S. I burned a copy of my Civ3 CD and work off the burn, without the noCD patch...
Old November 25, 2001, 16:28   #2
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 20:29
I dont use the CD and with my Athlon 1.33 I get significantly better speeds on big maps with lots of civs than people with similar machines who use the CD.
Old November 25, 2001, 16:41   #3
cassembler
Prince

Well, I CAN NOT run the game without the crack (stupid copy protection), though I HAVE noticed that lots of people complain about turn times... NOT ME!!! (even on large maps)

I'm only running a PII 333 (it's overclocked even), though I do have 300 megs of ram, which I assume helps a lot.

So, as a testimonial, the CD cracked version doesn't give me obscene turn times (though late game gets bogged, but not any more so than SMAC).

PS- that story about the Germain dude has me hating Infrogrames even more...

(not Firaxis though, they're still ok... as long as the patch is on it's way...)
Old November 25, 2001, 18:03   #4
Elucidus
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4WDG StrategaC4WDG Huygen's UnionC4WDG Spamyard TeamC4WDG éirich tuireannC4WDG The GooniesC4WDG People's Army of the LadderC4WDG Calysium
Prince

I just hope that Infoturds don't rush MoO3 the way they did Civ3.
Old November 25, 2001, 19:35   #5
Kolyana
Warlord

I play Civ III on my laptop and I haven't noticed any undue wait time. I'd be interested in trying out the noCD thing, tho ... where can I lay my hands on it?
Old November 25, 2001, 19:57   #6
Akaoz
Prince

Local Time: 17:29
I play with a no-cd patch and I have massive slowdowns in the late game on huge maps. I have noticed that AMD’s seem to do better then Pentium’s though.

-Alech
Old November 25, 2001, 23:15   #7
Nadexander
Warlord

Local Time: 09:29
Quote:
Originally posted by cassembler
I'm only running a PII 333 (it's overclocked even), though I do have 300 megs of ram, which I assume helps a lot.
I did a little looking with the resource meter while playing a game on huge with 16 civs. I got a 900Mhz 256MB ram computer. Even at the most demanding settings it only uses up 190MB of ram. The real squeeze is in processing power. It is often using 100% of the processor resources. So, the moral of the story is if you want faster civ then get a faster processor (ram doesnt help beyond a 256 or so).
Old November 26, 2001, 02:18   #8
Alex 14
Prince

Local Time: 03:29
Local Date: November 1, 2010
How do you get past the copy protection if you wanto burn it?
Old November 26, 2001, 03:00   #9
TechWins
King

Local Time: 10:29
Quote:
'd be interested in trying out the noCD thing, tho ... where can I lay my hands on it?
Quote:
How do you get past the copy protection if you wanto burn it?
I'm also interested in finding out how to burn a copy of the game. Could somebody please answer this?
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old November 26, 2001, 03:17   #10
Zanzin
Prince

Local Time: 03:29
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I'm running an Althon XO 1700, and civ3 is still utilises 100% cpu - I guess it takes all it can get!!

More RAM, noteablely 512mb of it, means the smoother civ3 will run. Even with this beast of a system though, there is a small delay, maybe a few seconds, between turns. Just the nature of the beast, I guess.
Old November 26, 2001, 03:47   #11
faded glory
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

post before deletia
Old November 26, 2001, 03:54   #12
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Local Time: 12:29
To burn civ 3 Try using clonecd
Error skip settings: error correction none, read retries 3
fast error skip
then download either cloneamp to amplify the weak sectors

If you do all that, most cd burners should be able to handle it. It uses a really advanced form of copy protection called safe disc 2. It is tough to burn, but it also doesn't work with all CD-Roms.
Old November 26, 2001, 07:38   #13
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 18:29
On my system (Athlon1600+, 1 GB RAM, GFORCE2/64MX, 1 GB dedicated swap partition, win 98 SE for games) the no-cd patch has made the late game (huge map, 16 civs) if not exactly speedy then at least playable. It was totally unplayable with these settings before. The subjective speedup is something like 10x.

Perhaps that's because it's a fairly fat rig, and don't run into other limits.
Old November 26, 2001, 07:54   #14
Grim Legacy
Prince

This would only help if the game accessed the CD while running. To my knowledge, it does not. Perhaps turning off the music helps even more.
Old November 26, 2001, 08:00   #15
-AC-
Settler

See the thread about slow turns with a 900MHz Athlon, I've explained the reason for a slowdown there.

[EDIT]
And no, the NOCD-hack doesn't help
[/EDIT]
Old November 26, 2001, 08:06   #16
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Grim Legacy

This would only help if the game accessed the CD while running. To my knowledge, it does not. Perhaps turning off the music helps even more.
It surprised me too, since I have a full install, but I understand certain forms of copy protection hit the cd controller a lot without actually spinning the cd itself.

That go a long way toward explaining how Firaxis didn't catch these things themselves - they probably didn't test the game with the copy protection on, inhouse...

And anyway, while I sure don't know what causes it, installing the no-cd patch has speeded my game up no end. Go figure.