Old November 25, 2001, 16:45   #1
Kolyana
Warlord

Local Time: 11:29
Local Date: October 31, 2010
This is wrong. My rant.
Okay, here I am with a culture 4 or 5 times that of the English ... when one of my largest cities, complete with temples, library, etc and *NOT* in revolt ... suddenly defects.

HUH?

They defect because they envy the English culture .... which is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay below my own.

What the hell gives here??? Is it completely random? What gives?
Old November 25, 2001, 16:51   #2
Libertarian
King

Local Time: 12:29
1.5 out of 10

Lacked substance. Duplication of previous rants. Some potential, but generally bland.
Old November 25, 2001, 16:52   #3
DarkMatter
Chieftain

The only thing I can think of is that they planted a spy and initiated propaganda.

As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy.
-Christopher Dawson, The Judgment of Nations, 1942
Old November 25, 2001, 17:13   #4
Dienstag
Warlord

Local Time: 17:29
I think I read somewhere that distance from respective capitols is a factor. Any chance that was the case? It better not be a big factor, if this game has any realism at all. There's a reason there aren't any travel agency advertisements to see the beautiful Chinese city of Vladivostok.
Old November 25, 2001, 17:19   #5
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 10:29
City Defection
THEIR capital was relatively close to the city compared to YOUR capital, and they had not been assimilated to your culture yet. You did not garrison it enough or put extra effort into making them happy (read "diverted from their having been conquered"). You want to make them more than just content. Even then, it's really fuzzy as to whether you'll keep the city.

Sure, your culture may be 'better', but they still preferred their culture. Sh*t happens.

How could it have been "unfair"? Haven't many AI cities defected to you?

One of the great things about this game is that the abstraction of reality provides for surprises once in a while. One of the great things about Apolyton is that people share these surprises with each other.

BTW, I had a startling defection too. I had just re-based more than half my air force into the town and then I lost the whole thing. (Sigh) Oh well, my citizens were getting tired of that war anyway, so I came up with a great idea -- a peace treaty.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old November 25, 2001, 18:09   #6
Chronus
Prince

I lost a city to another civ as well even though I had the stronger culture. However, the city was surrounded by that other civ's cultural border and so I wonder if that had something to do with it. Furthermore, the cultural influence for my newly captured city was only one square. This may be an important aspect (see below).

After I capture a city (or cities) I quickly build a temple (rush buy) and keep the city heavily garrisoned. After ten turns, the cultural border for that city extends out and pushes most of the opposing cultures away. At that point, I can leave as few as two military units in the city with no problems. Of course, my culture was stronger than the other civs. This may not work if they have the stronger culture. Furthermore, I have not tried this long enough to say it's a 100% guarantee.
Old November 25, 2001, 18:11   #7
dexters
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

A factor in defections is the culture in the defecting city vs. the culture of the rival Civ's city surrounding it. Your total Civ culture is less relevant here. And yes, proximity of capitals is a factor as well.
Old November 25, 2001, 18:45   #8
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 07:29
I agree with Lib. This was a poor rant. You need to take it to higher levels and complain about the design being seriously screwed up.

This could too easily be dismissed as a very minor setback turning into a thread. Of course I would never...errr...imply...that.

Last edited by TCO; November 25, 2001 at 19:04.
Old November 25, 2001, 19:17   #9
Herder
Chieftain

No mention of Nazi's or Genitalia. Very poor rant indeed.

heh.
Old November 25, 2001, 19:23   #10
Kolyana
Warlord

** sighs ** yes, as rants go it lacked heart ... but that's 'cos I love the game. How can I seriously belittle any aspect of it when I know I'm about to go back in for round two?

I suspected infiltration, but it may be that it was a semi-recently capture city. It was heavily garrisoned, so that wasn't an issue, and it had a temple and several cultural improvements beyond that.

I guess it would have been nice to have some form of indicator. I mean, I have no idea what caused this. No, I lie, if it was capital proximity and the fact that i conquered it 20 turns before (if not more) and the fact that it was surrounded by high culture ... what way have i from ever knowing this?

Incidentally, and I didn't hang around long enough to find out, but what happens to the gazillions of troops that I have stationed there? Do they defect also?

If they do, then it's doubly worse that this stuff happens with no warning.

Thanks for the feedback, btw. Including the two that criticized the lack of heart in the gripe. I shall try again another time ... this time trying to make it a little more ... angry and controversial?
Old November 25, 2001, 19:24   #11
Kolyana
Warlord

... and trying to squeeze in something about a Nazi's Genitallia.

Apparently.
Old November 25, 2001, 19:49   #12
Peter Triggs
CTP2 Source Code ProjectCivilization IV Creators
King

I know this is off topic, but I can't resist it. This was a song sung by British troops in WW2, to the tune of Colonel Bogey's March (the theme from the 'Bridge Over the River Kwai' movie):

Quote:
Hitler, he only had one ball,
Goering, he had two but very small,
Himmler had something simmler,
But poor old Goebbels had no balls at all
Whistle Chorus: