Old November 25, 2001, 17:49   #1
dexters
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 17:29
Local Date: October 31, 2010
AI Does not Cheat with Irrigation!
Some guy jumped the gun without really looking into the issue accusing the AI of cheating by irrigating tiles that are technically not irrigatable or so it seems. and I'm surprised so many people agreed with him without using their critical thinking skills to think about it before buying into more of that needless amateurish whining.

Read all about it in this thread
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=35623

However, the game rules clearly state rivers and floodplains allow players to irrigate next to the city if the city is built ontop of either one of those two terrain types. That explains why the guy complaining about AI cheating was fooled. He assumed only rivers work this way.

I was able to replicate the same effect by whipping out my Civ3 Edit, making a small island with NO rivers, and TWO floodplain tiles. I then built my city on top of the floodplain and then irrigated TWO squares diagonally. Then, i built a mine on top of one of the irrigated squares to make it look like I was able to irrigate Tile #2 without a water source. But i did!

The Picture of my experiment is attached below.

Clearly, one of those cities in the picture the guy posted was sitting on a floodplain, and the AI just used that source to irrigate their entire landmass. then went back and build mines, making it look like they could irrigate unconnected grassland tiles at will.

For the love of god people, use your ****ing heads.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	nocheat.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	6528  

Last edited by dexters; November 25, 2001 at 17:54.
Old November 25, 2001, 17:55   #2
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 11:29
Not the way to go
Thank you for the explination dexters, but perhaps you should have made this 'thread' a post in that thread, and stop calling the person who initiated it or the thread itself idiotic. Many people bring up issues in this froum that the rules book alone might have cleared up, but we as fellow civirs answer their questions, everything is cleared up, and that's it! Please, lets try to keep a modicum of decorum here, but perhaps that is too much to ask at this time....
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old November 25, 2001, 18:02   #3
dexters
King

I went back and re-edited my post before you responded as I realized I was way off like with the name calling. I hope the new version of my post is more acceptable.

As for not posting on the original thread, the thread has gone on to discuss another topic about resources and cheating. I'm willing to bet you that it's another one of those misunderstandings where the human, through his massive capacity to make sense out of nothing, connects the dots of nothingness and somehow comes up with a theory of AI cheating.

In anycase, I thought posting there would actually be inappropriate as people would not know what the heck i'm talking about, but I've already posted a referral link on the thread, just in case.
Old November 25, 2001, 18:05   #4
Libertarian
King

Local Time: 12:29
[...shrug...]

Seems to me, given the ubiquitous, endlessly redundant hackjacking threads, that rebutting one of the many complaints based in ignorance merits a thread of its own.

I applaud Dexter's scientific approach in solving the problem.
Old November 25, 2001, 18:29   #5
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

I believe you(aswell as the other guy) are geting water from the lake, not flood planes. I don't know about using the editor, but normally flood plains are only along rivers (in desert tiles with a river running through).
Old November 25, 2001, 18:32   #6
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 07:29
Lib,

Take a look at the other thread. It would have fit fine there. People are still discussing irrigation. Also, Dex's point about possibility* of irrigating and then mining had already been made.

*For various reasons discussed in the other thread, it is more likely that the AI cheated than that it irrigated and mined.
Old November 25, 2001, 18:39   #7
dexters
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Osweld
I believe you(aswell as the other guy) are geting water from the lake, not flood planes. I don't know about using the editor, but normally flood plains are only along rivers (in desert tiles with a river running through).
There is no such thing as a lake tile in Civ 3, its usually a coast tile inland, looking like a lake.

The bottomline is that you can irrigate two types of tiles. River and floodplains. If you have a city sitting on a floodplain tile, it will look like you can't irrigate, but you can.

As for floodplains existing only be rivers, that's completely false. I've played several games where the randomly generated maps have floodplains on coastal tiles.
Old November 25, 2001, 20:00   #8
Gaius Marius
Civilization IV Creators
Warlord

Local Time: 13:29
You can irrigate from any source of fresh water. Any coast tile that does not touch the open ocean is considered fresh, and can be an irrigation source. You can irrigate from Flood Plains, but because of the fact that flood plains must be next to a river (they, by definition, occur when desert touches a river), not because they are flood plains.
Old November 25, 2001, 20:16   #9
Akka
Prince

Local Time: 18:29
Quote:
Originally posted by dexters

There is no such thing as a lake tile in Civ 3, its usually a coast tile inland, looking like a lake.

The bottomline is that you can irrigate two types of tiles. River and floodplains. If you have a city sitting on a floodplain tile, it will look like you can't irrigate, but you can.
Sorry to contradict you, but lakes DOES exist in Civ3. In fact, as it was stated in the another thread, a lake is an enclosed coastal tile, and is considered as fresh water. It is 2 food 2 commerce, while salted coastal is 1 food 2 commerce.
Old November 25, 2001, 20:35   #10
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 19:29
please reply instead of making new threads

thanks