Old November 25, 2001, 20:31   #1
Drone Riot
Settler

Local Time: 17:30
Local Date: October 31, 2010
instead of telling the producers how the
why is it, theres a core of players who insist on changing the game to how they feel it should be?
Has it not crossed your minds that the game has infact been played by the designers, and mimicks their initial vision of civ3?

I dont have the game as of yet, so this post is not from an owners point of view - even tho, i feel if those who own the title dont like how it is - TAKE IT BACK

Old November 25, 2001, 21:41   #2
Akka
Prince

Local Time: 18:30
Re: instead of telling the producers how the
Quote:
Originally posted by Drone Riot
why is it, theres a core of players who insist on changing the game to how they feel it should be?
Has it not crossed your minds that the game has infact been played by the designers, and mimicks their initial vision of civ3?
Yes, so much played that they did not noticed the air superiority nor the coastal fortress worked.

And I would like to stop seeing people thinking that either we like something and then we have not the right to complain about ANYTHING, either we don't like it and we should return it and forgot it.
Grow up and understand that people complain only when they want something improved, so it means : when they already like it, but get the frustrating feeling that they could enjoy it MUCH MORE with some additions.
Old November 25, 2001, 22:50   #3
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 12:30
Highly likely that some of these bugs were created during the rush to get the product out of the door. I am fairly certain that air superiority and the coastal fortress worked during testing. To think otherwise would be to think they are complete idiots.

No one ships without some minimal amount of testing.
Old November 25, 2001, 22:54   #4
JAMiAM
Prince

Local Time: 09:30
LoL, jt. I hope you didn't bite your tongue, as deep in cheek as it was.
Old November 25, 2001, 23:00   #5
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 10:30
When a company is under the gun to get things out the door before a deadline testing is one of the easiest things to skip. They'd rather concentrate on writing code to fix bugs they already know about then to spend time they don't have to look for new bugs. Of course this mentality doesn't result in very well done games...
Old November 25, 2001, 23:04   #6
Kolyana
Warlord

Local Time: 11:30
Bugs are to be expected. If they write good patches, release them promptly and concentrate on after sales support then all's well.

I haven't heard anything along these lines yet, however.
Old November 25, 2001, 23:25   #7
The Eliminator
Warlord

The one thing that is intolerable here is that people who have not even bought the game are giving their opinions on it. I would much rather see a negative opinion from someone who bought the game, than a positive or protective opinion from someone who does not even own the darn thing!

And, uh, Akka le Vil...as for "people complain only when they want something
improved.." where have you been? People complain for all sorts of reasons, and most of them are unfounded; it's usually just so that they can be "heard." To say that they "only" complain when they want improvement is a little silly.
Old November 25, 2001, 23:30   #8
n.c.
Emperor

Yet another thread demonstrating two sad phenomenon: 1) Firaxis fundies telling people to shut up, and 2) mild-mannered, thoughtful posters like Akka le Vil getting increasingly testy. Anyone else see a connection?
Old November 25, 2001, 23:45   #9
Kolyana
Warlord

:: Blank Stare ::

No?
Old November 26, 2001, 00:04   #10
Ludwig
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:30
Actually, I've seen good and bad posts on both sides.

I've seen sensible criticisms of some aspects of the game, and I've seen...well, whining.

I've seen diligent bug hunting [and finding] and I've seen people who just haven't read the manual.

I've seen good defenses of some unpopular elements of the game's mechanics - and particularly its balancing [i.e. corruption and the combat system] and I've seen pointless flames directed at the game's reasonable critics.

I've seen people who sound like they would have accepted anything with the name "Civilization" on it, and I've seen posts where I'm surprised that the poster likes ANY TBS strategy games of ANY kind.

Most of the people who get accused of whining are doing nothing of the sort. Yin seems like an objective person. Venger brings a solid gaming perspective to bear even when he's freaking out. These guys are careful and precise about their points. I can see that, even when I don't agree with them.

But there ARE some people who claim to be "critics" who quite simply are trolls. Does saying this make me a "fundie"?

Generally, as usual on the internet, both sides of the argument have interesting proponents, and both sides have annoying flamers. And then there are some people who belong in the first group but lose their temper once in a while and end up being in the second group.
Old November 26, 2001, 05:16   #11
Raleigh
Warlord

Feedback assists the game designers correct errors, improve the game by sampling it to a larger audience then themselves and gives them better ideas for future releases like Civ4. Incidentally, it also provides a good picture for people who haven't even bought the game yet.

While too much negativity can spoil your anticipation for the game, you really shouldn't be too quick to criticize others who may be offering helpful advice to the designers when you haven't either had the opportunity or the desire/will to purchase the game in the first place.
Old November 26, 2001, 10:49   #12
Akka
Prince

Local Time: 18:30
[QUOTEAnd, uh, Akka le Vil...as for "people complain only when they want something
improved.." where have you been? People complain for all sorts of reasons, and most of them are unfounded; it's usually just so that they can be "heard." To say that they "only" complain when they want improvement is a little silly. [/QUOTE]

Hum, yes. But what I meant about "complaints" was the real ones, the ones about the glitches, imbalances, inconsistencies and so on.
I would put the complain from people who just want to be heard and make themselves important in the "whines" category

Quote:
Yet another thread demonstrating two sad phenomenon: 1) Firaxis fundies telling people to shut up, and 2) mild-mannered, thoughtful posters like Akka le Vil getting increasingly testy. Anyone else see a connection?
Gosh, I'm caught :/
Well, that's right it's hard to keep your temper when you see an increasing quantity of people just calling everyone a whiner, but letting you becoming angry and aggressive only lessen you to their level.
I'll have to pull myself together