Old March 1, 2002, 01:15   #31
Encomium
Warlord

Local Time: 12:31
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Sytass
Indeed a nice summary. But of course you never get guarantees. I once colonized a whole montainous peninsula, the largest towns getting to a whopping size of 4. And despite there being 10 or so cities spread out evenly, there was no strategic ressource - no iron, no coal, just some gold for commerce. Quite a disappointment.

Indeed. I once colonized an even larger area, and still no iron. I desperately built the Lighthouse and started sending out galleys to try to find something before I was attacked. I luckily found an island with iron. I built a town, and four turns before I even could finish the harbor, and five turns after a worker built a road on the iron tile, IT WAS DEPLETED!!! I would have been forced to send waves of archers to attack my neighbor (Persia) before he got to the Immortals. Not feasible. End of game.

And that permanently ended my experience with Firaxis' stupid values. I went to Editor and increased the values for iron and coal to make them merely RARE - not almost unobtainable.
Old March 1, 2002, 07:16   #32
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 19:31
Quote:
Originally posted by Coinich
Ahhh - that explains my problem. I'll look into how to perform those modifications, unless someone can explain it to me quickly.

Thanks to all,

Coinich.
I have given "some sort" of explanation in thread about MODs at civ3.com (Great NEWs...)

Don't try directly to load map with 1.17f since then resources would disapear automaticly.
You'll need first:
-modify defualt rules(make backup!): give Alum&Oil to plains remove Alum. from Tundra.
-then load map and remove use default ruels flag
-save map
-at the end restore default (1.17f) rules from backup

Result:
in normal games all will be with new rules (no alum. on plains), but if you try Earth map you'll have resources as they were before 1.17f (map will have restored resorces rules from 1.16f)

I hope this helps.
Old March 1, 2002, 10:34   #33
Whoha
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Morgan
Emperor

um....
everyone was complaining about resources in 1.07f...
I mean the very first game I played I didnt find coal until 1960, and I happened to be looking for it, I had the entire map revealed and settler/explorer/defender/galleon teams all over the place. I've also heard that Coal also appears on one tile islands... that are mountains... so that they are unobtainable. But this has changed. Of course I just figured out how to place the resource in the save file before the patchs, and I made use of that and got some games that were pretty much worth giving up on to be played more(grabbed seven continents including all terrain,such as tundra island which turned out to have only iron on it, none had coal, but when i conquered the babs they had coal on grassland squares...which i know were cleared jungles but still).
Old March 1, 2002, 11:55   #34
Coinich
Chieftain

Player1 - Thanks. I'll be giving it a try. The huge world map is my fav to play on. Appreciate the assist.

Coinich
Old March 1, 2002, 13:09   #35
Thrawn05
King

I thought Al couldn't be found on grasslands anymore after the 1.17f patch. Did I miss somthing?
Old March 8, 2002, 09:58   #36
falsfire3401
Settler

Local Time: 11:31
Quote:
Originally posted by eMarkM

Oh yes, absolutely. I won't hesitate to go to war over a field of luxuries if I think I can get them
e
Yeah no doubt. In my recent game, I discovered that the Chinese had a city sitting on a patch of SIX ivory, and just outside the starting eight-square city radius from their city was an incense...both luxuries I did not have. Even though my military advisor warned me that they outnumber me AND have slightly better technology, I did the brief war thing and took their infantry-guarded city with 6 cavalry. (Didn't quite have motorized transportation yet...it was 6 turns away). I then defended the city with eight of my own infantry to protect against the inevitable counter-strike. After he wasted no less than 15 or so of his cavalry against my rush-built city walls, we had a peace treaty...and I had a bunch of happy citizens
Old March 14, 2002, 15:38   #37
Barrius
Settler

AI will show you where the resources are
Another thing to remember is that the AI cheats and knows where all the Strategic Resources are. If the AI goes to some worthless land such as the desert and plops down a city then you can bet that some important resource such as saltpeter will show up there when you get the tech.