View Poll Results: What's your personal view on modpacks and other customizations?
Love'em! I use them now and will continue to do so 31 37.35%
I haven't used them up till now, but I might in the future 21 25.30%
I'm a Civ purist! I would never change anything about Civ 19 22.89%
I might consider it if they issued a banana modpack 12 14.46%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 26, 2001, 10:45   #1
Winston
Emperor

Local Time: 19:32
Local Date: October 31, 2010
How sacred is Civ to you?
Browsing this site and CivFanatics, you can't help but notice the overwhelming amount of customized change files, modpacks, graphics upgrades etc., all designed to improve our enjoyment of the game in various ways. The staggering speed with which these files emerge after Civ III's release - and their popularity among gamers judging from the forum discussions - has made me wonder: Am I the only Civ purist out here?

I mean, I've played Civ II for five years now without ever adding anything to the original game, save for the 2.42 patch, which you couldn't very well do without. And now I've taken to playing Civ III with great joy - and with no intention of ever changing anything about the game, however useful it might be.

What I'm saying is that to me, in some strange way these games seem to have a certain sanctity to them from the developers' hand. Changing terrain appearances, A/D/M-ratings, game rules - or adding new units, wonders and government types, while certainly adding to the game in some areas would also give me a feeling of playing a different game from what the makers intended - and also make me feel like, well a heretic of sorts.

It's hard to explain, but let me just say that I can't even get myself to play the game without the original music on. It just isn't the same. Never played a scenario either for that matter.

How do you feel about customization of Civ games? Is the original design of the games important to you or do you value the usefulness of modifications over the makers' in some ways limited creations?
Old November 26, 2001, 11:39   #2
drake
King

Local Time: 13:32
I like slight variations, such as small changes in graphics and rules, and perhaps a few tech tree changes. Adding new units is also refreshing.......But as far as fantasy scenarios? Naw. I don't venture too far away from the original foundation and empire building idea.
Old November 26, 2001, 11:43   #3
opaque
Warlord

Local Time: 17:32
I have never added anything on to Civ2 except the patch and I plan to do the same with Civ3. In fact, the only game I have ever been pushed into adding downloads and mods to is Midtown Madness 2. This is because I play it in MP far more than in SP and since most other people who play it have downloads and/or mods, I have little choice.
Old November 26, 2001, 17:36   #4
Boracks
Warlord

Local Time: 13:32

I never did anything to CIV2 but I have already downloaded a file from here for CIV3.
Old November 26, 2001, 18:10   #5
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 04:32
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Ive changed the graphics around a fair bit, but im unwilling to change unit stats or the function of buildings, for instance, so that i can still compete in tournaments and such.
Old November 26, 2001, 18:20   #6
smellymummy
King

Local Time: 09:32
the poll needs a "sometimes/moderatly/in-the-middle" type of options. That's what I would vote for.

what's up with the banana modpack option?
Old November 27, 2001, 12:22   #7
quinalla
Apolyton University
Warlord

Local Time: 12:32
I understand what you mean, I only downloaded one, it was a mod from this site that just adds some useful information to the screens where you select what you want your city to produce, for example, how many times a unit can be upgraded (sorry I can't remember the name of the person who did it, but it is excellent). After I have played the game a lot, I might try some of the stuff that actually changes the gameplay, but probably not because I like it as it is (except for the bugs, obviously)

-quinalla
Old November 27, 2001, 12:57   #8
Crom
Chieftain

You're right. I have played scenarios on Civ II but my most enjoyable games have always been with standard rules on the large real world map.

With Civ III the only thing that I cannot use is the map that came with the game, it was so bad I had to delete from my PC.

Check out the map that Selanne has posted on this site it's excellent.
Old November 27, 2001, 13:50   #9
Pedro
Settler

Customization is half the fun.