Old November 26, 2001, 12:15   #1
Lurking
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:32
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Succession Game starting on 11/29/2001, Join the game/follow the saga in this thread
Play order (current player in crimson):
1) Excelsior
2) Jumping Choya
3) Lurking
4) vovansim
5) fsck (away until 01/07)

This game will be played on Regent difficulty, on a medium size map with a total of 6 civs (players will be one of the civs). The civs will all be random, including player civ. The game will begin on 11/29/2001 with myself being player #1.

Sign up now, first to sign on in this thread will be part of the game. You will be allowed 72 hours, from the notification of the end of the last player's turn, to complete your turn. If there are problems, or you would like to pass/withdraw from the game please post in this thread in advance.

I will try to include pictures/screenshots of important events. I will also chronicle my reign(s) to provide a way for fellow CivIII fans to follow this game.

Any other suggestions? I hope I get some great players to join me in this game!

Last edited by Lurking; December 27, 2001 at 09:10.
Old November 26, 2001, 12:29   #2
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 20:32
Tempting... Tempting...
Old November 26, 2001, 16:13   #3
Excelsior
Warlord

Local Time: 11:32
I'll play! Do we need to post e-mail addresses, or do you just want to post the saves on the forum?
Old November 26, 2001, 16:24   #4
Lurking
Chieftain

No need to exchange e-mails. I'll post my saved files here, on this thread. Also, if you do need to contact me or another player by e-mail, you can do it through Apolyton. You can e-mail a user by viewing his profile and clicking on the link there. I think it goes into the user's private messages, and the user should receive an e-mail informing them they have a private message.

Other questions/suggestions?
Old November 26, 2001, 17:03   #5
Excelsior
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Lurking
Other questions/suggestions?
Well, I prefer to play with 3X or 4X the hitpoints for each level of experience (with an accompanying ROF increase for bombardment units). I find it makes combat more balanced. If you don't want to play that way it is fine, but I think it improves gameplay. Either way, everyone in the game should play with the same rules. What do you think? It is simple enough to change.
Old November 26, 2001, 17:34   #6
Excelsior
Warlord

Upon reflection, I don't think we would all need the same rules. If you start a scenario with other than the default rules using a scenario, then the rules should be saved with the save. I don't know this for sure, though. It might require the .bic file with which the game was started. I'll have to check this out.
Old November 27, 2001, 11:30   #7
Lurking
Chieftain

Excelsior,
Did you find out if rules carry over in the save file? I would prefer to play with the default rules. I have done absolutely no mods to my version of Civ III, although I saw some cool screenshots with new visuals for forest/jungles, and irrigation. I might do those mods if I can find them.

Anyway, back on topic, is there anyone else who would like to join? Is there a better succession game going on? I'd like to get in on one, and I didn't see any that were looking for more players. That is why I'm starting this one. There doesn't appear to be much interest here on Apolyton , should I go elsewhere?
Old November 27, 2001, 12:09   #8
Excelsior
Warlord

Quote:
Excelsior,
Did you find out if rules carry over in the save file? I would prefer to play with the default rules. I have done absolutely no mods to my version of Civ III, although I saw some cool screenshots with new visuals for forest/jungles, and irrigation. I might do those mods if I can find them.
I did. If a game was started using a scenario, .bic, file, then the rules are saved in the save game. If a game was started using the default rules, the rules are taken directly from the Civ3mod.bic file.

This is part of a post I made explaining why I think there should be more hitpoints:

Quote:
I think the problem is with the small number of hitpoints. It allows relatively short streaks of 2 or 3 in a row to be decisive. As it stands, with two three hitpoint warriors, the odds of the battle ending with one side completely undamaged is 25%! That's a lot! By comparison, in Civ2, the odds of such a thing occuring, with Civ3's 10% defense bonus, was slightly over 0.2%.

I believe this is also what causes a lot of the tank vs. pikeman angst. Assuming 3HP units, a pikeman fortified inside a metropolis on grassland has a fairly reasonable 16.5% chance of victory. With 10 HP units, this drops to 3.3%.
Anyway you want to do it is fine, I just think it plays better.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lurking There doesn't appear to be much interest here on Apolyton , should I go elsewhere?
Surely there must be more people interested here! Sign up now!
Old November 28, 2001, 15:03   #9
Lurking
Chieftain

Please join! If you have questions about this game, post them in this thread. Are all the succession players busy with other games? If so, where are these games? I've been to Civfanatics and looked all over apolyton. Does any website have a coordiantor of succession games for Civ III? If not, maybe I'll take up the project.... It can't be that hard...

(famous last words)
Old November 28, 2001, 15:12   #10
fsck
Settler

Local Time: 10:32
Count me in!
I would be happy to join your succession game. I'm only a mediocre player, but a fairly good amateur writer. Screenshots are no problem too (seems to be what made that "other" succession thread so popular).

If we are going to modify rules... I suggest 2x hit points. 3x or 4x multiplier really makes it impossible for the older units to do anything. Even musketmen and rifleman will have a hell of a time against infantry with the stats so equalized. Also, I suggest disabling air units. Until the patch arrives, the invincible bombers really put a crimp in modern warfare.
Old November 28, 2001, 15:28   #11
Excelsior
Warlord

Re: Count me in!
Quote:
Originally posted by fsck If we are going to modify rules... I suggest 2x hit points. 3x or 4x multiplier really makes it impossible for the older units to do anything. Even musketmen and rifleman will have a hell of a time against infantry with the stats so equalized. Also, I suggest disabling air units. Until the patch arrives, the invincible bombers really put a crimp in modern warfare.
That's fine with me. If you want to do something about the invincible bombers I'd suggest that instead of disabling bombers, we disable the enemy fighters too. Just take remove the air-superiority features from the fighter units. It might make sense to make them cheaper too, since they would essentially be downgraded bombers.
Old November 28, 2001, 16:03   #12
Lurking
Chieftain

Ok, I'm good with the doubling of hitpoints. I think the suggestion of moding the bombers is a good idea too. I have no experience with changing game settings like this, but Excelsior seems to have confirmed that the settings will carry over in the save file. So, Excelsior, will you start the game (be player #1) with the modifications we've discussed here. I'll be player #2. Excelsior, you may go ahead and start the game tonight if you wish. Be sure to use the settings (difficulty, randomness, ect.) that is included in the first post in this thread.

Settings of landmass, land layout, temperature, and age should also be random. I will edit the first post to include play order and who is currently playing. I'm sure will get another 2 or 3 players once we start. Especially if we agree to include screenshots. Do either of you know of a good webhost that would be willing to store our pictures online (link them to this thread)?

OK, I think that's it. You're up Excelsior!
Old November 28, 2001, 18:02   #13
Excelsior
Warlord

OK, I think I've made all the changes. All experience levels are double hitpoints, all bombardment units have double rate-of-fire, and fighters and f-15s can no longer perform the "Interception" mission.

One thing, though, what should the build cost of fighters and jet fighters be? They are essentially really lousy bombers now that can perform the "Recon" mission. I was thinking 4 for the fighter and 5 for the jet fighter/F-15. The main difference between the fighter and the jet fighter is the combat rating, but since combat cannot occur, the only advantage the jet fighter has is range, 6 vs. 4. I think this would be about right since their bombardment ability is actually worse than that of catapults.

Quote:
I'm sure will get another 2 or 3 players once we start. Especially if we agree to include screenshots. Do either of you know of a good webhost that would be willing to store our pictures online (link them to this thread)?
I've got about 10 megs of free web-space from @home, but there is a big problem. I use the Comcast@home ISP, and this morning I got an e-mail from Comcast saying that @home is trying to get out of its deal with the cable companies. So, as of the 30th, my @home account may be DOA, depending on what the bankruptcy court rules. Comcast recommended using their emergency dail-up service backup plan, aka NetZero.

In any case, I plan to attach pictures to my posts using the attach file option on the board. If someone else has a better idea I'm all ears, but I think this will work out all right. You can only attach one picture per post, but there is no limit on the number of posts you can make...
Old November 28, 2001, 19:16   #14
fsck
Settler

web hosting
I have a private domain that I pay for... www.doriarpg.org. It used to be for an online D&D game that I ran, but it's mostly dormant now. I have about 50 MB of free space, and several GB worth of available traffic a month, so I'm happy to host whatever files we might need for this game.

Can't wait to start!
Old November 28, 2001, 21:08   #15
Lurking
Chieftain

I think the cost of fighters should be 5 for a regular fighter and 7 for a jet fighter. This would discourage the need for airpower at all, but still leave it open if we/AI need it for some reason. I guess that's it. Looking forward to my turn! Can't wait to discover what the world will look like and, most importantly, what our civ will be!
Old November 28, 2001, 21:09   #16
Excelsior
Warlord

OK, I just finished my turn! I'll post the summary in a little while. It just ocurred to me that I don't know how long a turn you wanted. Is 20 turns the standard for succession games? Anyway, that's how many I played.

fsck: I've got 7 screenshots from my game. How can I upload them to your site? Should I e-mail them to you? They are all .jpg's and they come to about 250k total.
Old November 28, 2001, 21:12   #17
Excelsior
Warlord

Quote:
I think the cost of fighters should be 5 for a regular fighter and 7 for a jet fighter. This would discourage the need for airpower at all, but still leave it open if we/AI need it for some reason. I guess that's it. Looking forward to my turn! Can't wait to discover what the world will look like and, most importantly, what our civ will be!
Oops, sorry. I couldn't wait to get started.
Old November 28, 2001, 22:22   #18
Excelsior
Warlord

I just finished the summary, should I wait until I we have the pictures ready to go, or just post it now and add the pictures later?
Old November 28, 2001, 22:56   #19
fsck
Settler

zip them up and mail them!
Zip the pics up and mail them to me in one attachment. I will FTP them to the site as soon as I can. In the meantime, go ahead and post your summary, linking to where the screenshots will *eventually* be... the URLs will look like this:

http://www.doriarpg.org/img/your_filename_here.jpg

I may not be able to play and post again until tomorrow.
Old November 28, 2001, 22:56   #20
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

I will join.
I would gladly join your succession game. I already participate in a succession game, but it is moving rather slowly, so I am sure I will have plenty of time to play in this game, too. So, if you still need someone, count me in.
Spore page
Old November 28, 2001, 23:39   #21
Excelsior
Warlord

Turn #1>4000BC
We are Russian! The mighty despot Excelsior leads his people to found the Russian capital of Excelsior in a fertile spot globe near a bountiful supply of wine. He dispatches the Royal Scouts to chart the terrain and the Royal Ditchdiggers to build a road to the wine fields.

Turn #2>3950BC
Requiring direction, the Russian Prophets come to Excelsior for guidance. After careful consideration, and much wine, the great leader informs them that they should pursue Iron Working so that his successors might wield mighty weapons in his name. To the north, the Royal Scouts discover a source of fresh water suitable for large scale irrigation projects. Living on the banks of the lake are the friendly Magyar people. Though equipped only with the most primitive of weapons, the young Magyars eagerly join the army of the Russian people and pledge loyalty to Excelsior.

Turn #3>3900BC
The Royal Scouts report that Excelsior’s fear was ungrounded. The Russians are not on an island after all; a land bridge leading to the north has been discovered.
Turn #4>3850BC
The Royal Scouts continue to press north and the empire continues to run smoothly.

Turn #5>3800BC
The Royal Ditchdiggers have completed the road into wine country! Supreme Lord Excelsior celebrates this momentous occasion by becoming staggeringly drunk.
Turn #6>3750BC
The city of Excelsior completes the training of a new Royal Scouting Corps. The Supreme Lord sends it north to continue the exploration of this uncharted expanse. Intrigued by the tales of these lands, the Lord directs his subordinates to organize a party of citizens to settle these northern lands.

Turn #7&8>3700-3650BC
Very little happens during these years.
Turn #9>3600BC
The Royal Ditchdiggers complete a new road. The Supreme Lord issues a new tax on all commerce along the new road. The Royal Treasury is now growing at a rate of 1 gold per turn. The Royal Scouts report that a large mountain range has been discovered to be hiding a vast tract of arable land to the northwest.
Turn #10,11,&12>3550-3450BC
Another boring period in the history of the Russian people.

Turn #13>3400BC
Excelsior’s advisors come to him with alarming news! The settling party is due to be completed 3 turns before the city is large enough to sustain the population decrease! His advisors explain that such a mistake could’ve been avoided, if they only knew the concept of mathematics. Enraged, Excelsior feeds the advisors to his pet wild boar. He then directs the city to move towards building a granary, that the city might grow more rapidly. In other parts of the Russian Empire, the Royal Scouts meet the friendly Vandal tribe. The Vandals kindly give them accurate maps of the region.

Turn #14,15,&16>3350-3250BC
Very little happens during these years. The Supreme Lord Excelsior is in declining health and he has no heirs. It is rumored that he has an illegitimate child that might someday attempt to claim the throne, however.
Turn #17>3200BC
Excelsior directs the Royal Ditchdiggers to build a road north toward the fresh water lake.
Turn #18>3150BC
Royal Scouts discover wine in the northwest expanse.
Turn #19>3100BC
Royal Scouts report that an island of vast riches has been spotted off the mainland.
Turn #20>3050BC
In the final year of The Supreme Lord Excelsior’s reign, absolutely nothing happened. The Lord succumbed to an overabundance of wine and died in his sleep. His carcass was then torn apart and eaten by his pet boar. As the primitive Russian people had not yet discovered the secrets of Ceremonial Burial, they just chucked his body in a ditch and forgot about him.

The state of the world in 3000BC

The saved game:
Attached Files:
File Type: zip game1128.zip (52.7 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Excelsior; November 29, 2001 at 00:02.
Old November 29, 2001, 00:12   #22
Excelsior
Warlord

Re: I will join.
Quote:
Originally posted by vovansim
I would gladly join your succession game. I already participate in a succession game, but it is moving rather slowly, so I am sure I will have plenty of time to play in this game, too. So, if you still need someone, count me in.
Great! You can be #4 in the line of succession.
Old November 29, 2001, 08:45   #23
Lurking
Chieftain

Vovanism, you have been added to the play order. See the first post in this thread for current play order, and current player. My turn will be complete in less than 18 hours. I will post as soon as my turn is complete.

Onward my Russian people!
Old November 29, 2001, 08:47   #24
fsck
Settler

pics uploaded!
Pics are uploaded and working OK in my browser. I can play a turn anytime today...

Question: Why build a granary instead of another settler/worker?
Old November 29, 2001, 08:54   #25
fsck
Settler

Strategy!
Well, it looks like we have a good hunk of land here to work with. Having the capital at the bottom is going to hurt, and I don't see any other luxuries except for wine... that hurts too. Hopefully we will have a good amount of strategic resources, and there will be more luxuries in nearby islands or something.
Old November 29, 2001, 09:35   #26
Lurking
Chieftain

Re: pics uploaded!
Quote:
Originally posted by fsck
Pics are uploaded and working OK in my browser. I can play a turn anytime today...
The pics are working fine in my browser too. Thanks for the hosting fsck! I'm at work now, but I'll be home around 6pm my time and play as quickly as possible, I'll then post the game file. Then I'll go back and edit my post with a discription of my reign and pictures.

Quote:
I think it's a decent strategy. Since we're on an island (probably) we don't have to worry about other civs grabbing the land right next to our capital, so we build a granary or two to help our cities grow fast enough to produce lots of settelers, back to back, to settle our cold island (lots of tundra!). We'll see how my turn goes. I'm going to shoot for map making to sail across those two shallow sea squares and settle the isle of riches!
Old November 29, 2001, 10:03   #27
fsck
Settler

Lurker: Since you won't be able to play/post until tonight, would you mind if I went ahead of you? I can play almost anytime today and tomorrow, but I won't be able to do anything over the weekend (have to help a relative move).
Old November 29, 2001, 10:17   #28
Excelsior
Warlord

Re: pics uploaded!
Quote:
I started to build a settler, but I didn't notice until it was almost too late that it would be completed 3 turns before the city would reach 3 population. So I decided to switch to a granary rather than waste 3 turns of productivity. We're going to need a granary there anyway, and there isn't any risk of the AI gobbling up our land until the age of map making.

Oh, and thanks for hosting the pictures. It really does improve it.

Last edited by Excelsior; November 29, 2001 at 10:39.
Old November 29, 2001, 10:46   #29
Excelsior
Warlord

Re: Strategy!
Quote:
Well, it looks like we have a good hunk of land here to work with. Having the capital at the bottom is going to hurt, and I don't see any other luxuries except for wine... that hurts too. Hopefully we will have a good amount of strategic resources, and there will be more luxuries in nearby islands or something.
I'm betting that we will have lots of strategic resources. All those hills, mountains, and tundra should be great. However, we probably aren't going to have much, or any, rubber. We need to hunt down a likely location of it ASAP or we'll be crippled in the late game.

Once we've settled this continent, I recommend that we put the forbidden palace in a city near that forest. Then we can move the capital elsewhere if we expand to another large area.
Old November 29, 2001, 12:16   #30
Lurking
Chieftain

Quote:
Lurker: Since you won't be able to play/post until tonight, would you mind if I went ahead of you? I can play almost anytime today and tomorrow, but I won't be able to do anything over the weekend (have to help a relative move).
Sure fsck, you can go now if you want. You'll be able to finish by 5pm mountain time? If so, I can still go tonight and we'll have finished three reigns before tomorrow!

BTW, it's Lurking, not lurker I'll see if you go before I get home. If you do go, just post a short message saying you are playing now, and I'll wait for your post with the saved game after your turns. Thanks for playing everyone!