Old November 26, 2001, 14:26   #1
Puritan
Settler

Local Time: 10:32
Local Date: October 31, 2010
A non-expansionist strategy?
Can anyone suggest a non-expansionist strategy to win?

I've found that the only way to get a foothold on the other civs is to quickly expand with settlers and cover as much territory as possible. Only then can I start concentrating on growth and city improvements.

Is there another way?

I'd rather not build up a military force and invade. I'm a defensive player unless I'm in trouble with respect to strategic resources.

I play a completely random game, on a huge map with all civs. I find it more fun not knowing what civ I'll be.

Any tips would be appreciated.
Old November 26, 2001, 14:57   #2
Kc7mxo
King

Local Time: 12:32
Well, for starters, knock down the number of civs a bit. 16 on the huge map makes for a tight fit, and you'll have to fight to avoid being trapped.

Next, when you find someone, immidiatly lock down some cities next to theres. And start building up their culture. Wall the bugger off. It'll make your expansion a little easier.

Don't worry about the lone city inside your borders, you'll get it later, either through quick little war, or through culture. If they get two together, watch out.

I've found researching to be a waste of time once you've met three or four civs. Instead, pour all your resources into money and simply buy tech off the ai, and then sell it to the other ones. Check the ai often to get updates on tech.

Money rules in this game. You can use it to get allies, tech, and friends.

And thankfully, the Ai in this game can actually be a useful ally in war.
Old November 26, 2001, 15:41   #3
MarshalN
Warlord

Local Time: 17:32
If by non-expansionist you mean just having 5-7 cities that are good and productive, I don't think it'll get you very far in this game unless you're really careful (and nice to the AIs, i.e. willing to pay them a lot of stuff). They'll think you're not powerful and they'll bully you. You won't have all the necessary resources (for obvious reasons, and I think you'll be in trouble.
Old November 26, 2001, 15:52   #4
SanPellegrino
Civilization III PBEM
Warlord

I think it is very hard for said reasons and another: sanitation comes pretty late, so you are stuck with your size 12 cities a long time and waste your turns.
Old November 26, 2001, 17:24   #5
G.A
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:32
Well, this actually can work, and worked for me. Just one thing. You must be ready for a huge war against everyone at any time, cause due to the little cities -> little units, the AI will perceive you as "weak", and they`ll all be willing to rip you. To avoid war damage you should be ready to move any action to their territory - it saves your land from damage, and cities from bombs.
Old November 26, 2001, 18:02   #6
Simpson II
Prince

Depends on the level, I guess. My second game was a regent level one city culture victory, so you can certainly win on some levels with few enough cities! I recall hanZ came close to a Deity level OCC victory. Culture victory is probably the best option. My advice would be;

Build your first city next to the sea, if at all possible.
Build warrior, temple (rushed), warrior, settler first, and make sure you get the colossus in your capital.
Head direct for literacy. Libraries and the GL are great.
Maintain a reasonable army, otherwise you'll get bullied by the AI.

I think it will be harder on the larger maps, though.
Old November 26, 2001, 19:14   #7
MarshalN
Warlord

I think so too (hard on larger maps) because the computer will have tonnes of units to throw at you. Unless you have a garrison of 10 units in each city, you're bound to be taken down.
Old November 27, 2001, 04:04   #8
Nadexander
Warlord

Local Time: 09:32
if your not gonna have lots of cities, you need to have _lots_ of units. conquer your neighbors cites when they get uppity and sell them back for tons of gold. Intimidate your neighbors with your huge military and renegotiate your peace treaty so they give you resources or lots of gold per turn. Use all that gold to buy tech, upgrade units, and expand your army. The favorable peace treaties are the key!