Old November 30, 2001, 10:42   #91
Cookie Monster
King

Local Time: 12:34
Local Date: October 31, 2010
If we rush the patch v1.14f 1 citizen will be lost.

* Yes get out my whip!

* No I really didn't mean it.
Old November 30, 2001, 11:08   #92
kailhun
Warlord

Local Time: 17:34
Quote:
Originally posted by Haupt. Dietrich
If we rush the patch v1.14f 1 citizen will be lost.

* Yes get out my whip!

* No I really didn't mean it.
Hm, who would that citizen be?

Robert
Old November 30, 2001, 11:13   #93
AHO
Chieftain

Hey Jeannette, I don't know if you're still reading this thread, but, way to go baby--you hit the nail on the head. My sentiments exactly. Leave it to a woman to express it all so well! Hey, that's an interesting thread, what's the sex of the majority of the people on this board. I figure the answer, for most of them, would be--none!

Anyway, back on topic: Just to feed in to the most paranoid among us (you know, just for fun), as of this morning, there's NOTHING posted on the official Civ3 web site about this mythical, magical patch we're all longing for. We ARE sure about the authenticity of this "Jeff@Firaxis"----right?
Old November 30, 2001, 11:20   #94
Jeannette
Chieftain

[QUOTE] Originally posted by AHO
Hey Jeannette, I don't know if you're still reading this thread, but, way to go baby--you hit the nail on the head. My sentiments exactly. Leave it to a woman to express it all so well!

You are a gentleman, Sir.
Old November 30, 2001, 11:30   #95
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Quote:
Originally posted by AHO
Hey Jeannette, I don't know if you're still reading this thread, but, way to go baby--you hit the nail on the head. My sentiments exactly. Leave it to a woman to express it all so well! Hey, that's an interesting thread, what's the sex of the majority of the people on this board. I figure the answer, for most of them, would be--none!

Anyway, back on topic: Just to feed in to the most paranoid among us (you know, just for fun), as of this morning, there's NOTHING posted on the official Civ3 web site about this mythical, magical patch we're all longing for. We ARE sure about the authenticity of this "Jeff@Firaxis"----right?
Conspiracy theories aside, the site will be updated when the patch is signed off on and the feature list for the patch is final. At this point, anything could change.

Dan
Old November 30, 2001, 11:36   #96
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Again... thanks for the update. While everybody would rather have it sooner than later, I think most of us would agree that we would prefer that it is done right.

Let us know when you can.
Old November 30, 2001, 11:37   #97
AHO
Chieftain

Actually, I'm a jerk, I just rite gud!
AHO is short for a**hole--it's what I always used to put as my initials when I got a top score on Galaxian. (How OLD is this guy?) But I'm charmed by your response anyway.
Old November 30, 2001, 11:52   #98
wotan321
Warlord

Could someone from Firaxis please comment on whether the Editor will be completed as a patch or as an add-on x-pac in the future?

It just seems financially illogical for the developers to pay programmers to complete that thing, which needs to include AT LEAST flat maps, unit/city placement and events, if there is not some cash at the other end. They could toss in a dozen scenarios, a dozen new units, and a dozen new leaders to choose from. That would be something I would pay for...

...though I hope the "Add" button will be added to most of the tabs of the editor via a patch before that.

Whats the news?
Old November 30, 2001, 14:43   #99
siredgar
Prince

Re: Vive la France et Marseilles
Quote:
Originally posted by rcampos
Ok people, this isn't really important, but the city of "Marseilles" IS Marseilles with an "s" at the end. This being said, some European city names ARE wrong indeed.

About the game?

Well, rush job or no rush job, the game is fun BUT gets annoying at points. I did expect something more than what we got, but I'm sure a lot of issues will be addressed in the forthcoming patches.

Too bad there isn't hotseat/multiplayer though.....
Mr. Campos,

The city is spelled "Marseille" not "Marseilles". That is how the French spell it and that is how English-speaking people spell it. I'm assuming you are confusing this with Versailles. Nevertheless, I am curious which other city names are wrong. Please do tell.

Yes, the game is worth playing and has its merits. However, I'm not playing it right now because of the lag and freezing up as well as the other issues I've addressed previously (primarily the ability to specify player starting location).

Sir Edgar
Old November 30, 2001, 15:18   #100
ggallagher
Settler

Sir Edgar/All:

It appears that the "proper" spelling is without the "s", but that it has been bastardized, and there is a common (mis)spelling that includes the "s". (Note the following search engine results, where the search engine show a page title with the s, but the page itself spells it withiout the s.)

This could get into a whole different line of discussion as to what constitutes correctness in language. Example: the (non)word "irregardless".

Gregg

Marseilles Hotels: Online Reservations
Marseille at Places to Stay
Hotels in Marseille, France
WEB DIRECTORY SITES

Marseilles - Office of Tourism

Find information about transport, accommodations and conference facilities for the business traveller or holidaymaker.
http://www.destination-marseille.com/
Ecole d'Architecture de Marseille Luminy, France

Search the school for resources, publications, program descriptions and student projects. In French.
http://www.marseille.archi.fr/
Marseilles - Cityvox

Rundown on this ancient port includes recommendations on restaurants, bars, clubs, shops, lodging, events, exchange rates, weather and maps.
http://www.cityvox.com/home/0,15522,...ACCCIT,00.html
Marseilles Hotels - Direct-Hotels

Check room availability and rates or make a reservation for a selection of hotels in Marseilles. Read about facilities and see pictures.
http://tracking.looksmart.co.uk/ssRe...ope/marseille/
Louis XIV - Letter to Town Officers & Marseilles People

Outlines the steps taken by the monarch's administration to facilitate trade, increase subsidies, and reduce tariffs. Written in 1664.
http://history.hanover.edu/texts/louis.htm
Marseilles - Flights 4 Less UK

Take advantage of cheap air fares and fly to this historic Mediterranean seaport. Check for availability on the flights and book online.
http://tracking.looksmart.co.uk/ssRe...&marseille.htm
USA Today - Marseilles, France Weather

Presents a five-day forecast, highs and lows, and weather satellite imagery for Marseilles, with wind, heat, visibility, and humidity readings.
http://www.usatoday.com/weather/base...e/nw076500.htm
Miami Beach - Marseilles Hotel

Profile of this art deco hotel offers visitors info on rooms and suites, plus amenities, services, photos and reservation policy.
http://www.marseilleshotel.com/
Art in America - Making Art in Marseilles

Read about the arts rehabilitation projects in the south of France and the funding allocated to these endeavors in Richard Vine's 1999 article.
http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m.../article.jhtml
Marseilles - Aux Ecuries des Chartreux

Hotel located in the tiny village of Villeneuve-lez-Avignon, outside of Marseilles. Find contact information for its three available lodgings.
http://www.laprovence.com/ecuries-des-chartreux/
Old November 30, 2001, 15:30   #101
Antonin
Chieftain

Re: How come?
Quote:
[SIZE=1The game is great, I absoloutely love the random map generator and the way you have to trade and compete for domination. I look forward to the patch for hopefully new features or improvements, but one thing. I hear people complain about how buggy the game is, I never noticed any bugs or have had any problems
Same here. I'm having a great time with Civ3. It's not 'broken', it's not a 'beta'....it's a great game. I dont post here very often because i'm actually spending my time PLAYING the game...
Old November 30, 2001, 15:42   #102
Brab
Settler

Re: Re: Vive la France et Marseilles
Quote:
Originally posted by siredgar

Mr. Campos,

The city is spelled "Marseille" not "Marseilles". That is how the French spell it and that is how English-speaking people spell it. I'm assuming you are confusing this with Versailles. Nevertheless, I am curious which other city names are wrong. Please do tell.

Sir Edgar
"Lyons" should be "Lyon"

Even in France, some people get the spelling of Marseille wrong ... but it's not a reason for propagating such a mistake

Brab
Old November 30, 2001, 16:09   #103
rcampos
Settler

"Mr. Campos,

Yes, the game is worth playing and has its merits. However, I'm not playing it right now because of the lag and freezing up as well as the other issues I've addressed previously (primarily the ability to specify player starting location).

Sir Edgar"

SIR EDGAR,

Look it up, it's Marseilles. I happen to have spent a few years of my life in France, and to be toally fluent in the language.
Old November 30, 2001, 16:10   #104
rcampos
Settler

"totally" fluent I meant.
Old November 30, 2001, 16:19   #105
rcampos
Settler

The game lag is a major problem indeed, it makes it rather annoying and sometimes unplayable.

Maybe we should all go off to Marseille for a holiday.
Old November 30, 2001, 16:55   #106
Asmodean
Civilization III Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 19:34
Things, I'd like to see in a patch:

Marseilles, without the s

Asmodean
Old November 30, 2001, 17:37   #107
Boracks
Warlord

Local Time: 13:34

Mareille ??

(Well, you did say without the s. )
Old November 30, 2001, 18:22   #108
cutlerd
Warlord

I hope this will be in the patch
I have not seen this bug mentioned...if it has been mentioned ad nauseum I apologize for wqasting people's time.

When you trace a path for a naval unit more than 1 square at a time and that path encounters a sub, the game will automatically have your naval unit attack the sub, causing a war if not already at war.

Obviously, this is a very annoying "feature", since I usually move my naval units last in my turn, and to have a war start through no fault of my own means I have to load an autosave and redo my turn (and hopefully remember exactly where the sub was so I do not do it again).

Interestingly, if you move your naval unit 1 tile at a time, then when you try to move over the sub a warning screen pops up asking if you really want to declare war. Would be nice if this patch or a future one fixes it so even on a multi-tile path a naval unit running into a sub will ask if you really want to declare war.

Devin
Old November 30, 2001, 19:18   #109
FALVES
Chieftain

Things, I'd like to see in a patch:

Screw Marseille(s), get another city name!
Old November 30, 2001, 19:23   #110
DaShi
Emperor

Re: Re: How come?
Quote:
Originally posted by Antonin

Same here. I'm having a great time with Civ3. It's not 'broken', it's not a 'beta'....it's a great game. I dont post here very often because i'm actually spending my time PLAYING the game...

It's a game?!
Old November 30, 2001, 19:42   #111
Dan Baker
Settler

All is fair, or is it?
When I first installed Civ-III and began to play, it was an exercise in frustration. I made the mistake of assuming that Civ-III was simply a follow up to Civ-II, when in reality it is a very different beast. (Early reviews of the game did not help much, since nearly every one advertised it as an updated Civ-II. Do reviewers actually play the games they review? I'm becomming more sceptical) The interface may look similar, but the game is entirely different.

The critisms of style for Civ-III for game play and are unjust and unfair. I think Firaxis learned alot from Alpha Centari, the real updated Civ-II. Civ-II remains one of the most cluttered games I have ever played, it was filled with minutes of senseless video's of poorly produced news-footage splices, lengths of live action advisors repeating useless speaches, and cluttered with too many units/buildings/techs to micromanage.

Alpha Centari was even worse. It was Civ-II v 2.0 with a smaller budget. The video production was horrid, and even worse the game was littered with a puerile, recycled sci-fi plot which only manged to interupt game play while making one's soul cringe in the way that only bad-scifi can. Somehow, they managed to make the interface even more cluttered then a spreadsheet application. Thank goodness thats all gone!

Remarkablly, Civ-III has very little video. Firaxis didn't waste time and money on useless artwork which would be skipped by any second time player. Instead, they focused on issues which actually matter to the playability of a game. The interface reflected a welcome clean simplicity that is underrated. To quote interface experts, the best interface is the one you don't notice. The only flaw in the interface is its lengthy lag time, attributed to bugs rather then design decisions. This is a serious problem, but hardly a design flaw.

The largest improvement of Civ-III over previous reincarnations of Civ-I is the AI is actually GOOD. Civ-II had horrible AI, Alpha Centari was equally bad. Civ-II could only be challenge if the AI consitently and substantially cheated. The actions of Computer Countries where typically irrational and sometimes entirely random. Although the names were the same, Civ-II wasn't really a 'civilization' game, but more of a conquest game. Civ-III, on the other hand, is more about peace and co-existance: Compition, but through means other then constent warfare. The design decisions for Civ-III were almost entirly correct. Spend money on AI, not for useless graphics where are horribly outdated anyway. No one buys Civ for the graphics.

Having said that, the game did feel as if were released prematurely. However, I do not think that this is a problem with the developer. I recently saw a photograph of the dev team, was only about 20 people. Typically, the decision to release a game is made by the publisher, not the developer. Additionally, the testing is done by the publisher as well. This begs some important questions - how did the game manage to ship with the infamous air-supority bug? How did some of the units (like Nuclear submarines) not match their descriptions? Why are Mutual Protection Acts valid if one country is an aggressor? I just don't see how these should have gotten past testing. OR then again, many publishers have a kind of 'release now, patch later' approach to things. Combine this with the Video Card Manufactors attitude of 'make it fast now, make it work later' approach and its no wonder that things don't work.

Although some of the complaints are valid, the 'Why isn't Civ-III like Civ-II' arguments are tiresome. If you want Civ-II, buy Alpha Centari, it only costs $10 these days. Civ-III is an excellent game, with the great misfortune of being compared to its far less gracefull older brother Civ-II.
Old November 30, 2001, 19:59   #112
Vargas920
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by PapaLenin
REMEBER TO PUT STARTING LOCATIONS OF REAL CIVS IN WORLD MAP AND FIX THE WORLDMAP PLZ!

Papa Lenin, your argument is just - as was the argument of Vladimir !!!!

THE COMMUNISM BOUGHT MANKIND INTO THE HEAVENS!!! AND IT DID NOT FIND GOD
Old November 30, 2001, 21:20   #113
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 09:34
the world map should have proper starting locations..but be able to toggle them off if you like
Old November 30, 2001, 22:03   #114
Ka Shima
Chieftain

Hey, brand new here. Long time civer.
Blah, blah, blah.
Anyway, just wanted to comment on this thread, since so many seem to be commenting about people who are complaining... Since it seems to be happening in so many places, I just felt like adding this to support the fact that ones who complain typically represent many, many more silent than the ones who comment in the positive.
Research studies for this usually put the ratio for complainers at 24 people against every singal person in favor of a particular product or service.
So..
Where do I sit? It's unfun. I think it's been ou there in a forum. But, having to play the same game, every time isn't fun. True, in CivII, my games typically followed a very logical pattern, but, I was able to adapt if given a poor starting location. If it happens in Civ3, I might as well restart.
Anyway, first time poster, be kind, even if I'm off topic.
Oh, wait, I can get on topic!
I sure hope the patch addresses SOME of the corruption issues, and the need of the AI to expand to every square on the map by 1200AD.

Oh, by the way, the AI is not good when you can do the following.
1)Extort the AI for a meaning less tech advance. Typically an advance that doesn't allow units, or city improvements.
2)Or have to deal with an AI that is focused on expanding everywhere...as a gas you might say. SMAC anyone?
3) Plays the same for EVERY different faction.
4) Does not play to their strengths.

So, anyway, go patch go!
Old December 1, 2001, 00:06   #115
wakamoto
Settler

Local Time: 11:34
Quote:
Originally posted by Ka Shima
ones who complain typically represent many, many more silent than the ones who comment in the positive.
Research studies for this usually put the ratio for complainers at 24 people against every singal person in favor of a particular product or service.
Interesting study but I think you're right.
I want the patch !! too bad is not this week.
Old December 1, 2001, 00:37   #116
James7654
Settler

Thank you!
I wish to thank Firaxis for finally convincing me to NEVER buy a game before it is patched, no matter how enthusiastic I am about it beforehand. This poor excuse for a quality-checked piece of software was the ultimate exercise in frustration.
I must also remember not to buy games published by companies that insist on taking months to approve their developers' patches.
Thank you.
Old December 1, 2001, 03:47   #117
Venger
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Ming
Again... thanks for the update. While everybody would rather have it sooner than later, I think most of us would agree that we would prefer that it is done right.

Let us know when you can.
Jesus Ming, screw the patch, we felt that way about the GAME!!

Venger
Old December 1, 2001, 05:07   #118
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Venger
Jesus Ming, screw the patch, we felt that way about the GAME!!
Venger

I'm just trying to be more realistic... there are many "problems" that IMHO need to be fixed... I'll wait for the patch before I whine too much
Old December 1, 2001, 05:11   #119
Libertarian
King

I'd love to see what kind of game the whiners themselves would release. And when.
Old December 1, 2001, 06:53   #120
Raion
Prince

I just wondering if most people are turning off the 'win' options they do not want to play against the computer. 'Military win' and 'Dominating win' are the two to think about. I am sure the computer game plays the game different whether what type of 'win' 'game' one wants to play.
By default, they are all on, including the 'specific abilities' and those options are easy to miss when starting a new game.
All the 'win' options on makes the game a formidable opponent.
I guess!