Old December 3, 2001, 02:47   #151
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 13:34
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The_Aussie_Lurker: You are overlooking the true killer -- Moving masses of units around one at a time. Honestly, man, there's a difference between wasting your time playing computer games (but being entertained) and simply wasting your time.

You'll see, unfortunately.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old December 3, 2001, 03:21   #152
Frito
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:34
Civ2 combat was more realistic, but IMO Sid wanted to bring back some of that annoying Civ1 randomness. I'm sure they didn't drop hp/fp w/o a major debate on it so they must have had some reason(s) for it, I just don't know it.
Old December 3, 2001, 04:31   #153
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 19:34
Quote:
Originally posted by yin26
The_Aussie_Lurker: You are overlooking the true killer -- Moving masses of units around one at a time. Honestly, man, there's a difference between wasting your time playing computer games (but being entertained) and simply wasting your time.

You'll see, unfortunately.
so if they add the possibility to group them in a patch, you will start playing it again
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old December 3, 2001, 06:25   #154
Libertarian
King

Local Time: 12:34
Yin,

What are you, on a crusade or something?

As I understand it, you hate the game. Surely, therefore, you're not playing it. You've already spouted off a hundred times about how much you hate it (as if anyone cares). You've launched a bazillion cry baby threads that have been summarily closed.

By hanging around here and beating your dead horse, you're morphing into a troll. A troll, by definition, never has anything new to say, but just likes to start trouble.

Why don't you find a game you like? (I'm sure if you wrote your own, it would be perfect in every way.) Then go find that game's board and become a valuable contributor.

Or else just shut up, mkay?
Old December 3, 2001, 08:54   #155
Dev
Warlord

Local Time: 17:34
Quote:
Originally posted by Libertarian
Yin,

What are you, on a crusade or something?

As I understand it, you hate the game. Surely, therefore, you're not playing it. You've already spouted off a hundred times about how much you hate it (as if anyone cares). You've launched a bazillion cry baby threads that have been summarily closed.

By hanging around here and beating your dead horse, you're morphing into a troll. A troll, by definition, never has anything new to say, but just likes to start trouble.

Why don't you find a game you like? (I'm sure if you wrote your own, it would be perfect in every way.) Then go find that game's board and become a valuable contributor.

Or else just shut up, mkay?
As you understand it is the keywords here,
you don't......

You could put it like this, when you've waited 5 years for your favorite band to release their next album you get pretty disappointed when you get your hands on it and realize it's mostly crap with a few good tunes.
That is Civ3 to the bone and by complaining on this forum we try to make them rectify the critical shortcomings of Civ3.

/dev
Old December 3, 2001, 09:07   #156
LaRusso
King

well, stone roses did just that. people said it was shite and stopped complaining about them....so there.
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old December 3, 2001, 09:13   #157
Dev
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by LaRusso
well, stone roses did just that. people said it was shite and stopped complaining about them....so there.
It's somewhat harder to patch a music CD than a game....

/dev
Old December 3, 2001, 09:23   #158
LaRusso
King

good for us, i guess
Old December 3, 2001, 10:13   #159
Libertarian
King

Quote:
You could put it like this, when you've waited 5 years for your favorite band to release their next album you get pretty disappointed when you get your hands on it and realize it's mostly crap with a few good tunes.
That is Civ3 to the bone and by complaining on this forum we try to make them rectify the critical shortcomings of Civ3.
Okay.

First of all, I have no complaint about complaining. If my favorite band puts out an album that I don't like, I complain like anyone else. However. I do not consume all my time — not to mention all of everyone else's time — with my complaints. Stating them. Restating them. Stating them again and again and again. Bringing them up at the dinner table. Plastering my complaints on every wall throughout the house. Bending every conversation on whatever topic to be about my complaints. Starting conversations out of the clear blue, every one of them complaining about the band.

I don't do that.

Nor do I say that the band members are lazy, worthless morons who are incapable of producing good music. Nor do I blame their producers, nor their managers, nor their other fans. Because, you see, it might just be possible that there are OTHER people out there who like the new album just fine. There might be other people who, not liking the new album, still manage to get on with their lives and would sooner not hear me go on and on about my obsession. In other words, I understand that my opinion is not the only one, and is not so all-fired important that every living person must hear it a hundred times.

Look over this forum about five pages deep. Redundancy heaped upon redundancy. Viscious attacks on people (as opposed to software) at Firaxis. Floods and floods of complaints, gripes, whines and bi+ching. And in nearly every case, either the topic has been covered to death — there was a whole thread, locked at the top, devoted to bug reports and complaints that was sent off to Firaxis — or else the topic is exactly the same as a topic that was covered only days — sometimes hours! — before.

That's crazy. It's just plain shortsighted, immature, and pointless. If you complain to a vendor, you stand a chance of being heard. But if you become a Chihuahua, biting at his heels without ever stopping for breath, you're likely to be viewed as a pest.

I've already pointed out how some complainers, like Venger for example, are complaining properly. I respect them for what they are doing. I do not respect, and I refuse to respect, those who carry what they're doing to absurdity.

Get it?
Old December 3, 2001, 11:23   #160
kmj
Prince

Libertarian - I was here when CtP came out and yin was doing the same thing then. I'll be here when CivIV comes out, and I'm sure he'll be quite vocal with his opinion then, too.
Old December 3, 2001, 11:41   #161
eRAZOR
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by woody

Who put a bug up your @ss, and elected you thread Nazi? If you don't want to read my speculations, then don't. Pretty simple, huh? Jerk.
ROFL Knew this would work hehe. Nuff said.
Old December 3, 2001, 12:01   #162
Farmer Jimbo
Settler

*looks at the date and realizes it's "next week"*

*remains in control and patient*

Oh, and now that someone has been compared to a Nazi and the comparison noted, I believe that that kills this thread, right?
Old December 3, 2001, 12:36   #163
Dire Wolf
Chieftain

Wow, I never realised that the Civ community was so immature...
Old December 3, 2001, 12:36   #164
Th0mas
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Quote:
I've already pointed out how some complainers, like Venger for example, are complaining properly. I respect them for what they are doing........
I just wish he would lay-off the purile personal attacks.....

A shame really, personal attacks are purely done to belittle anothers point of view, which hardly portrays you as someone who has concidered all the points before making your argument.

...and if he was face to face with whoever he was debating with, some of his comments would certainly ellicit a painful and explosive response.

6 years lurking, 5 minutes posting
Old December 3, 2001, 12:37   #165
eRAZOR
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Farmer Jimbo
*looks at the date and realizes it's "next week"*

*remains in control and patient*

Oh, and now that someone has been compared to a Nazi and the comparison noted, I believe that that kills this thread, right?
Never argue with an idiot/zealot etc. they pull you down to their level and beat you with experience
Old December 3, 2001, 14:54   #166
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Will the new patch work with nVidia graphic cards?

I'm getting rather bored of staring at my blinking monitor.
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old December 3, 2001, 15:26   #167
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Something I'd like fixed. Speed up the period in between turns. I've taken to reading, cleaning, leaving the room and lying down on my bed, and watching tv and playing during commercial breaks.

I'm seriously annoyed by the governors.

Not being able to move stacks is only mildy annoying.

I thought there were only supposed to be limited number of resources in the world, yet in my current game, I have almost half the world's iron (7, out of 12 civs), but I'm only trading away two iron. I thought there there was only supposed to be one resource per civ.

Frankly, I liked the building in SMAC (continued building same unit until I made it build something else) as well as the tech advancement system (never knew what I was gonna get until I got it).

I really like the diplomacy and culture system.

Mostly I like the game. Once you learn to adapt to the new way to play, it's kinda fun. Forts are necessary to defend your territory, you need a mixed military to take and hold ground.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old December 3, 2001, 16:03   #168
Venger
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Th0mas

I just wish he would lay-off the purile personal attacks.....

A shame really, personal attacks are purely done to belittle anothers point of view, which hardly portrays you as someone who has concidered all the points before making your argument.

...and if he was face to face with whoever he was debating with, some of his comments would certainly ellicit a painful and explosive response.
I think you'll find most of my "personal attacks" are retaliatory in nature. I disagree with many in this forum who I have profound respect for but who I always have good converstations with. Then you come to guys like LaRusso, Woody, etc., who only contribute bomb throwing to a thread, usually kicking it off by calling people names.

If I was face to face with them, they'd likely not begin with the name calling in the first place...

Venger
Old December 3, 2001, 16:06   #169
Libertarian
King

Quote:
I thought there there was only supposed to be one resource per civ.
That's a universal allocation, not a local one. It would really be impossible to do a local per civ allocation without knowing precisely to where each civ will expand.
Old December 3, 2001, 16:40   #170
Libertarian
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramo
Will the new patch work with nVidia graphic cards?

I'm getting rather bored of staring at my blinking monitor.
Maybe this will help.
Old December 3, 2001, 16:55   #171
Seth
Settler

In a vain effor to bring this thread back on topic....
There seem to be three camps with respect to the complexion of the patch:

1) Minimalist: patch will fix gross bugs and reduce corruption

2) Optimist: Firaxis has been listening to our complaints and will attempt to "fix" the game to our specifications

3) Pragmatist: Firaxis had to stop developing the code (yes, prematurely) some time before it went gold. As a result, there is much more than 3 weeks of bug-fixes involved. There could be significant enhancements, especially to the editor. However, the list of things that users have complaints about will likely not be addressed unless the developers agree they are "broken."

I make no effort to conceal where I fall in this discussion. As frustrating as it is to not be given direct answers about the patch, I think we've been given enough hints to know.

BTW: Kudos to Libertarian and Venger for the way they have conducted themselves.

Peace
Old December 3, 2001, 17:46   #172
pchang
King

Have there been any updates about the release date of said patch? Aside from the very first post, I don't see them anywhere.

If social security were private, it would be prosecuted as a Ponzi scheme.
Old December 3, 2001, 17:53   #173
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

For the record Yin, I happen to agree with you that it should be possible to move units around in stacks (This is distinct from having armies). This could be as simple as holding down ctrl when you click the mouse to select all units of a stack, or by clicking the right mouse key first. The point I'm making, however, is that these problems are minor and could be solved quite easily with a patch. For the sake of brevity, however, my list was far from DEFINITVE!!

Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker.
Old December 3, 2001, 17:55   #174
Farmer Jimbo
Settler

Basically no. Someone over at civfanatics made a post something along the lines of: "I bet it won't be out before Christmas" and Dan responded saying he'd take that bet. But other than that, no new info.
Old December 3, 2001, 18:23   #175
Jack_www
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandNationStatesNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 09:34
The general civ3 forum over the past few days has basicly become full of threads where people complain about what is wrong in Civ3. I too realize that this game does have bugs in it that need to be fixed and that it almost seems at times that these bugs are so vissible that you begin to wonder how did they not fix these bugs, but the bugs in the game I think are not that bad, and most are only made apartent in the later stages of the game and they do not take away form the game that much. One thing that I think is that they do know about them, but just ran out of time and money to fix the bugs. It was not that they were lazy or something like that, I just think that they just could not get the job done before the deadline.

I like Civ3 alot, when I play the game I enjoy very much. I wonder what yin26 would do if he were put in the possition of the people who work at firaxis. It is very easy to sit back and talk, but it is quite different when one is in the actuall situation.
By the way some people talk on these forums the make Civ3 like it is the worst game of all time, that the bugs in are so bad that one cannot play the game.

In my opion Civ3 is a vast improvement over Civ2. Some of the new features in the game I think are great, but need a little bit of adjustment. I think though that this is because the ideas are new, and as people play the game and give feedback the makers of the game will be able to improve on them. I wish it had mp out of the box, but I can live with that. I also think that Firaxis might release a very good editor that will allow really good scenarios to be made.

One more thing I would like to add is that if people want to complain about the game they dont need to start a new thread every time they want to complain. There are already lots of threads that disscuss the complaints people have about Civ3, why do you have to open a new thread every time to complain about Civ3. One I dont understand, if Yin26 hates the game so much, and is not playing it anymore why does he still posts here? Everyone knows that yin26 hates the game, but yin26 does bring out good points form time to time and some of his complaints are valid ones.
Old December 3, 2001, 20:19   #176
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
That's a universal allocation, not a local one. It would really be impossible to do a local per civ allocation without knowing precisely to where each civ will expand.
That's not really my beef. I control more than half the world's iron, and yet, even in the Middle Ages, no one was beating down my door to get it. I also had 1/4 of all the horses and coal and saltpeter. I could only sell about half of it. I'd think these civs would need my resources. . . . Esp. when I capture their oil supplies.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old December 3, 2001, 20:28   #177
Venger
King

Che - your seem to be right on the money here. I have nearly all the saltpeter, spices, uranium, and other luxury items, yet it's like pulling teeth to get evan a 4 to 1 trade out of the AI. The AI seems worried about making things hard for the human player, rather than playing to advantage their own Civ. I'd like to see the AI play for it's advantage, not solely for my disadvantage..

Venger
Old December 3, 2001, 21:45   #178
woody
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Venger
Che - your seem to be right on the money here. I have nearly all the saltpeter, spices, uranium, and other luxury items, yet it's like pulling teeth to get evan a 4 to 1 trade out of the AI. The AI seems worried about making things hard for the human player, rather than playing to advantage their own Civ. I'd like to see the AI play for it's advantage, not solely for my disadvantage..

Venger
Soren Johnston, from Firaxis, has stated that the AIs do not know whether they are negotiating with the human or another AI.

Are you calling him a liar?

Or are you just ignorant to what has already been mentioned here many times, and demonstrating that you don't know what you are talking about (again, and again, and again...)
Old December 3, 2001, 23:03   #179
DarkForce
Settler

stoppppppppp
hey venger

i'm new at this forum (although i'm a 'veteran' player of civ) but i have already noticed that your posts are always negative about the game, and sometimes you even run out of what more to say to blame this game and start saying crazy things and make guesses like the one above about the AI and the human player!!!!!!.

since you don't like this game at all and it has so many bugs as you say, then play something else. play red alert or monkey island or alone in the dark or colin mcrae or alien vs predator or wing commander or fifa 2002 or unreal tournament or mortal kombat 4 version3 or tetris or pacman or zaxxon or arkanoid.

when i don't like a game i just throw it in the garbage.i don't talk about it or join forums and talk evrry day about how bad it is.

Q: how many threads have u started with complaints about he game? i would be very interested to know.
Old December 3, 2001, 23:35   #180
siredgar
Prince

AI trade needs to be more reasonable!
If it's an ally or at least a friendly regime, then it should offer fair trade. Critical resources like iron, saltpeter, oil, and rubber should be relatively available to all, except during war.