Old March 10, 2000, 16:25   #1
Thunderfall
Chieftain

Local Time: 20:17
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Campaigns in Civ3
If you have played the heroes of might and magic series before, you know the importance of campaigns in term-based strategy games...

I think in addition to the random game generator, Civ3 should contain at least 2 campaigns (e.g. One good campaign and one evil campaign) that depict the rise of a Civilization. Each campaign should have approximate 10 scenarioes and a connected storyline. in the beginnning of each scenarioes, players should not need to build an entire empire from scratch; some cities and military units should be given.

If other term-based strategy games can have campaigns, why not civ3? Can this be an essential civ3 idea?
Old March 10, 2000, 16:55   #2
pauli
Prince

while campaigns might prove interesting, i wouldn't say they are essential. now, if the scenario support is flexible enough to let us play regional commanders in a campaign (ie, no control over the cities, we only see the relevant portion of the map, we request units and the ai decides what to send us, etc... *at the discretion of the scenario maker*), then it could be fun.

however, one thing in civ games: there are no good civs, and there are no evil civs. it's all in how you play them.
Old March 11, 2000, 02:36   #3
Youngsun
Prince

Local Time: 00:17
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Hello Thunderfall

I really enjoyed playing HOMM series and began to like this kind of genre since I played King's Bounty.

"A campaign" is really nice idea and since we can play lots of separate scenario why not creat a campaign?

And What a nice site you have! I visited your site and was amazed by your dedicated works for CivII. Good job! Keep it up.
Old March 11, 2000, 03:37   #4
Thunderfall
Chieftain

Hi Youngsun. I am glad to hear that you liked my site. give it a vote!

To Pauli: It's true that no civ is truly good or evil. I would suggest that they use "fictional civilizations" when they make good/evil campaigns. If they depict real civilizations (english, indians, russians...etc, etc) as evil, you can bet they would lose some market in those countries.

Again, campaigns are not very difficult to make. All they need is a good story and connect different scenarioes together. We have seen Firaxis's creative storyline in Alpha Centauri... It should not be difficult for them to write a few interesting and coherent stories for the campaigns. I think it would be a significant new feature if they include it in civ3.

Imagine that: suppose each of the 2 campaigns comes with 10 scenarioes, we would have 20 scenarioes to play with as soon as we open the box!

Everyone know (the original) civ2 didn't come with enough scenarioes... This was actually a major complain from civ2 fans.

Let's make campaigns an essential civ3 feature!!

------------------
Thunderfall
Civilization Fanatics' Center
[This message has been edited by Thunderfall (edited March 11, 2000).]
Old March 11, 2000, 04:14   #5
Thunderfall
Chieftain

While Firaxis could not force players to play like an evil leader (in the evil campaign), they can set objectives in the scenarioes that players must meet in order to win the scenarioes (example: burn down this vilage! destroy all enemey settlers units, confiscate all enemy caravans and freights! nuke them! assasinate enemy leader! etc,etc) which would indirectly force players to use all possible measures to win.
Old March 11, 2000, 06:04   #6
Atahualpa
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Latin Lovers
Emperor

Local Time: 01:17
Hey me too! I too like Homm. Although I have to admit, I started right with Homm3, but that game rocks!
Certain is, that the Civ genre can learn a lot from Homm3! For example that there are 9 different and unique "civs". Then the "unit" model, where you need a commander for every army you create to send around.

Ata
Old April 8, 2000, 21:37   #7
tniem
King

Local Time: 19:17
I don't like campaigns because each time I play the next part of what is supposed to be the same game I have to start over. If some how you can put my successes and faliures into the next scenario in the campaign then I am hooked. Otherwise campaigns should not be included (unless they are used for multiplayer. Multiplayer needs fast games so that I am not playing for hours on end with my phone line tied up).
Old April 8, 2000, 21:56   #8
Gord McLeod
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:17
I'd put campaigns on the 'to be considered' list for sure, but certainly NOT on the 'Essential' list... I never even play regular games on the Earth world map, let alone scenarios. I prefer to play random maps and to me, the whole point is to simulate the rise and potential fall of a great civilization. If I do want to play shorter campaigns, I'll play HoMM/HoMM2 (great games... love 'em) or AoE. Campaigns are not what Civ is about, IMO... though I wouldn't really object to them being there, as long as I can still play my preferred way.
Old April 12, 2000, 18:59   #9
Theben
Deity

I don't see why scenarios couldn't be tied into one another. One scenario begins when another ends. I suppose that can kind of be done now, with the scenario creator a set of pre-reqs needed to "advance" to the next scenario, but the player will have to load the new game him/herself.
Old April 14, 2000, 00:07   #10
Sir Shiva

Yes, campaigns would really be cool...

Age of Empires has a really good campaign model. CivIIIs should be similar...

------------------
-Shiva
Email: shiva@mailops.com
Web: http://www.crosswinds.net/india/~shiva