Old November 27, 2001, 09:20   #1
EricWright
Settler

Local Time: 12:35
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Minor tribes question
Started a game last night as Zulus on large map, 6 civs total. I sent the original scout and one other out to look for minor tribes to see what I could get from them, hoping for a kick-start on techs or military... possible even more cities.

Anyway, after my first 10 huts, I've gotten 25 GP once, a conscript warrior once, and tech 8 times! Shouldn't I expect more money/units/cities from a militaristic/expansionist civ?

BTW, I'm not complaining. I started out with science at 20%, the lowest I could still get techs every 32 years. Due to all of the huts, I am the world leader in tech AND money...

One of these days, I'm going to have to put the smack down on the Germans... I finally got some iron to make swordsmen. Impis don't seem to do squat to spearmen... other than attack and run away.

Eric
Old November 27, 2001, 11:56   #2
quinalla
Apolyton University
Warlord

I started a game this morning as the Zulus! Anyway, the huts are pretty random, but so far I have gotten one settler (which was really awesome out of the first hut), 3 techs, and 25 GP 3 times. I was really happy to get the techs and I was suprised I didn't get any warriors either, but I didn't mind because I don't need them with my fast impis. I pummeled the Babylonians and I am fighting the Persians right now. They both started the war with me when the demanded stuff and I told them what they could do with their demands. I have actually had a lot of sucess with my impis, they usually attack better than my horsemen

-quinalla
Old November 27, 2001, 13:53   #3
EricWright
Settler

Quote:
I have actually had a lot of sucess with my impis, they usually attack better than my horsemen
I'm really surprised how poorly they have fared. I'm not even attacking spearmen in cities. I'm going after the one's who protect settlers. I may get luck and knock one HP off the spearman, but I invariably get dropped to 1 and run away. All of this is on warlord, so I should be getting some kind of combat bonus too...

Eric
Old November 27, 2001, 14:49   #4
quinalla
Apolyton University
Warlord

Oh well, at least when the impis get beat, they can run away and don't die! It was just funny because I would attack an enemy warrior who was just standing on grasslands (not even fortified) and my horseman would lose hp and run away, but I would attack the same one with an impi (from the same place) and he would kill him while maybe only losing 1 hp. I must have some scary impis

-quinalla
Old November 27, 2001, 20:00   #5
Pyrodrew
Prince

Local Time: 09:35
Re: Minor tribes question
Quote:
Originally posted by EricWright
Started a game last night as Zulus on large map, 6 civs total. I sent the original scout and one other out to look for minor tribes to see what I could get from them, hoping for a kick-start on techs or military... possible even more cities.

Anyway, after my first 10 huts, I've gotten 25 GP once, a conscript warrior once, and tech 8 times! Shouldn't I expect more money/units/cities from a militaristic/expansionist civ?
I have NEVER received a minor tribe city from a hut. In Civ2 they seemed FAR more common.
Old November 28, 2001, 12:04   #6
quinalla
Apolyton University
Warlord

You have a much better chance if you are an expantionist civ, I have never gotten one except as an expantionist.
Old November 29, 2001, 16:18   #7
Pyrodrew
Prince

Local Time: 09:35
I've always been the Americans (expansionist, industrialist) so far... I'll keep trying.