Old November 27, 2001, 14:20   #1
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 09:36
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Anyone using Yahoo messenger?
ok so this is a copycat thread to the older icq phone thread but i think it needs its own recognition.

I went ahead and downloaded yahoo messenger the other day...

http://www.yahoo.com/ damm i can't make the link work..well you get the idea.....

Markus and i tested their version of pc phone and i must say it is far superior....... not only was it alot clearer on my system, it allows for multiple people on the same call....

so if your in a multiplayer game you can be chatting all at the same time making restarts or rules much easier to discuss.... no more typing out messages etc....

i was playing civ 3 and sent markus a message and when he replied the message popped up on my game screen....now i know if you wish to be left alone this could be annoying but i didn't have to alt tab anything to reply...unless i clicked it shut...... in which case i had to use the alt tab to bring it up....

when your not in a windows game, icq doesn't pop up to reveal itself when someone sends you a message....it just blinks in the tray (the way most of us probably have our settings anyways) meaning you have to constantly check to see if you have a message......

Food for thought...... if it really became popular we could start a yahoo messenger list.... the msn messenger sucks.....
Old November 27, 2001, 14:24   #2
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

the only drawback with everyone chatting at once is that belligerant individuals might try to bully the conversation.......

but this way you can "hear" and "understand" what everyone is saying ..... so there would be no more "misunderstandings" and you would have more witnesses around during games who could verify what someone was saying .....

things could stay in context instead of being misrepresented on chat logs

seems like a must for diplo games to me
Old November 27, 2001, 15:37   #3
Deity Dude
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 13:36
I started a thread trying to get people to list their Yahho IM name's and asked Ming to put them back next to ICQ and AIM information near avators. Still waiting to hear back from Ming (I know he's busy though).

I'll bump it and please add your name to the list.

I agree it is superior - since i can't even get ICQ to work without crashing my system.
Old November 27, 2001, 15:48   #4
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 12:36
Quote:
Originally posted by Deity Dude
...asked Ming to put them back next to ICQ and AIM information near avators. Still waiting to hear back from Ming
Hmmmm... unless I missed something (which is possible), my memory must be failing, because I don't remember the request.
(but then again, the medication I'm on causes me to forget things at times )

But at least I saw it this time. DEITY DUDE, please make the request to MarkG and DanQ via pm or email. And I will also follow up with them on the subject. I can't make that kind of change.
I'm only a "lowly" moderator
Old November 27, 2001, 16:05   #5
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Hmmmm, my daughter uses it already so it's on my machine. Didn't realize there was a phone option.

Sounds like a party line could be hilarious during an MP game. I can hear the....
"TAKE THAT YOU BAS****"
now.

I see two potential problems,

1. harder to do the informal backstabbing deals when everyone can hear. (oh well, back to typing and clicking the wrong civ to send it to)

2. In our normal 4 man games, I wonder if there is any negative impact on response time. Poor Berz is struggling there as it is.

Are then any Minimum requirements in terms of hardware or software versions that you know of?

I guess I'll have to sign up and get an ID
It will probably be something like RAH9873948293

Rich
Old November 27, 2001, 16:11   #6
War4ever
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by rah
Hmmmm, my daughter uses it already so it's on my machine. Didn't realize there was a phone option.

Sounds like a party line could be hilarious during an MP game. I can hear the....
"TAKE THAT YOU BAS****"
now.

I see two potential problems,

1. harder to do the informal backstabbing deals when everyone can hear. (oh well, back to typing and clicking the wrong civ to send it to)

2. In our normal 4 man games, I wonder if there is any negative impact on response time. Poor Berz is struggling there as it is.

Are then any Minimum requirements in terms of hardware or software versions that you know of?

I guess I'll have to sign up and get an ID
It will probably be something like RAH9873948293

Rich
well to answer #1... people can break off at any time and be reinvited to join.....so in the beginning you use it to make sure there is no tech , agree on rah rules etc

#2 don't know about lag so we shall have to test it

my id is dieselonly2000

and ROTFLMAO about hearing others fighting it out......

Ming i remembre DD asking about this awhile back....so my medication must not be as strong as your is
Old November 27, 2001, 16:46   #7
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by War4ever
Ming i remembre DD asking about this awhile back....so my medication must not be as strong as your is
Believe me... mine's pretty good

But again, it's not like the mods have any say in the design or layout of the site. That's an admin thing They are the ones that need to be convinced.
Old November 28, 2001, 01:26   #8
War4ever
Emperor

still we could have a thread dedicated to it...like the icq one until the mods were convinced or even if they were'nt ....supporting other means of getting civ 2 games to happen seems to be a good thing for both civers and apolyton
Old November 28, 2001, 19:46   #9
Deity Dude
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 13:36
I agree - I guess that is what i was sort of trying to do with my thread. it would be great if apolyton supported a Yahhoo IM list and included the Yahoo icon in the name section