Old April 17, 2000, 11:14   #1
Joe Bourque
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:18
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Colonization Pop Model
I think it would be interesting if Civ3 had a population model something like Colonization. For those of you who didn't play Colonization, I found one of the coolist features was that if you wanted a soldier you just took one of your citizens from your city screen and gave them guns. Then they could go off and fight, but of course they wouldn't be able to work the fields, and if they died, then you had lost some population. When the war was over you could send them back to whatever job they had had before. I think this would be really nifty, because it would help show war casualties and such. It made you think twice about creating a huge army, because doing so would cause a great reduction in your workforce. It would help add some more realisim to the combat/population model.

Joe
[This message has been edited by Joe Bourque (edited April 17, 2000).]
Old April 17, 2000, 14:12   #2
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 18:18
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Exactly!
it is called a "recruitment system" and one that I suggested on the EC3 list. Unfortunetly it did not get enough votes. But what you posted is exactly what I have been thinking for a very long time now. Thanks for posting!

------------------
No permanent enemies, no permanent friends.
Old April 17, 2000, 14:58   #3
tniem
King

Local Time: 19:18
Local Date: October 30, 2010
There are problems with the Colonization population structure. For one the population in the New World colonies is much smaller than the major cities that would be needed in Civ III during the end game which would lead to a lot more micro-management.

Another problem is that citizens in Colonization had special skills such as tabacco farmer, preacher, etc. It would be unlikely, even improbable to be able to come up with special skills that would trancend the time period required in Civ III.

A suggestion of mine would be to get rid of population units. Instead you would have a cetain number of people in your city. You could put a % in the military, % farming, and a % public works. The game would then figure out how many units can be built, food gathered, etc. This would have the same benefits and get rid of some micromanagement.
Old April 17, 2000, 15:19   #4
The Joker
Prince

Local Time: 02:18
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Of cause this should be included! And get rid of those ugly pop heads and give us a real population! A population of a large city should also be able to reach up to the large cities of today - there should be cities with 10s of millions of people.

Firaxis should also get rid of the grid system and give us a spherical world.

There are, however, a lot of things that I would like in Civ3 more than this one, like energy, the rise and fall of empires and some sort of domestic politics. But if Firaxis is a great as I think they are we could have it all!