Old November 28, 2001, 02:39   #1
Monoriu
Warlord

Local Time: 17:37
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Can we have the farmland graphic back?
I love farmlands in civ 2, not only because of the increased food, but because they look so much better than the irrigated tiles.

Now, I understand we don't need the increased food production in civ 3 anymore, because railroads already give +1 food where there is irrigation, and settlers/workers no longer require food support. But still, I want the farmland graphic back.

I see that the graphic for forts changes throughout the ages. Can we have the same for irrigated tiles and mine tiles as well?
Old November 28, 2001, 02:42   #2
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 11:37
Better than fortress, please
I agree that farmland was pretty, at least better than irrigation. At the same time, the guys at fixaris have some strange graphics ideas. The modern age fortress is great, but that ugly castle? And lets not get started on that neon green monstrosity of a bunker they give us in the modern age. They should hire Snoopy. His work is much better.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old November 28, 2001, 05:54   #3
benjy
Settler

Local Time: 17:37
hmm, ive not said anything negative about this game so far, because i really like it. but here goes...

i think the graphics and sound are a bit.... shall we say.... dodgy?!! because the Civ's "team" colour is now the most visual part of the unit graphic, i think a lot of them look pretty similiar. in civ2, it was great when you could start building say riflemen, because they looked like rifleman. my riflemen now just look... well, green.

same goes for the city designs - the eras just dont look that distinct (though i know there are differences). when you went indudstrial in civ2 all the buildings turned to red brick just like in the industrial city i was brought up in.

which brings me to the sound. the tanks sound like someone rattling stones in a can. and the naval units - im not even shore what noise the ironclads make, ive just never heard anythig like it.

but hell, i still bloody love the game....
Old November 28, 2001, 12:30   #4
Hurry
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:37
I agree, the irrigation is ugly. Download Snoopy´s mod, it includes better looking irrigation, water and much more.

This is the link: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=33637
Old November 28, 2001, 16:19   #5
Purple
Prince

Local Time: 12:37
Let's go back to flags!
Quote:
Originally posted by benjy
because the Civ's "team" colour is now the most visual part of the unit graphic, i think a lot of them look pretty similiar. in civ2, it was great when you could start building say riflemen, because they looked like rifleman. my riflemen now just look... well, green.
I totally agree with you on this point. Even though wearing tribe colors is a neat idea, it makes it harder to distinguish between different unit types.

Let's go back to flags! I've played Civ1, Civ2, and SMAC/X (and briefly CTP1&2), all of which had solid-color flags IIRC. I remember seeing screenshots with patterned flags (maybe from the TOT release?). I'd like to see these in Civ3, and I'm sure the artists among us can produce some dazzling designs.

As for sound, it may only be a local problem, but I can turn the effects level way down, but sometimes I get a huge increase in volume during unit movement. Disconcerting, but not annoying enough to query in the Help forum. I don't really want to turn the sound off completely, since there are some nice cues, but that may be my only solution. (Sorry for this slightly OT paragraph.)
Old November 28, 2001, 16:44   #6
SirSebastian
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:37
Don't forget the option in Preferences to turn on the little circle around the units to identify the Civ. Personally, I don't use it though.
Old November 28, 2001, 17:20   #7
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 10:37
I have to use the circles. I can't tell who's who. and I still have to click on many units to see what they are.