Old November 28, 2001, 11:12   #1
sprudl
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 19:38
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Another AI/diplomacy issue
It might have been said before on these boards, but here goes.

I'm playing the Persians, next ot me are the Americans. On the other side of the continent there is one German city. Recently the Germans and Americans went to war (first war and it's 1500 AD!).

I won't tell you the Americans keep tresspassing to get to the German city. It is a well known problem.

I was thinking, why not make money out of this by selling a right of passage to both countries. I chose the RoP option in negotiations with the Americans. First thing I notice is I can only ask what the Americans want for a RoP. Why is there no option like "what are you willing to give for a RoP"? The same goes for an MPP. The human player can only ask what the AI wants for the deal. There should be an option in the opposite way for those who feel strong enough.

Furthermore it seems impossible to gain anything from an RoP. Only when I give them something the Americans want to accept the RoP. As if I'm the one in need of the RoP. Besides I'm stronger than them. Actually the AI should have been smart enough to recognize that a RoP would have to be negotiated to reach the Germans. Or it should use ships to reach the city. Or even better, it should sail across the ocean and go for the really important cities.
Old November 28, 2001, 11:16   #2
Wrong_shui
Warlord

Local Time: 17:38
I know, I piled 60 units into babylonian territory with a RoP, they wouldnt dare break it after 20 turns but ill be damned if i could extort money out of them to renew it.
Old November 28, 2001, 11:41   #3
sprudl
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 19:38
Maybe you could try re-negotiating the peace treaty. If you're more powerful it might work to make them give something. But you probably won't have their vote on the UN anymore if you do it to often

When I discovered industrialization I noticed a Roman city with 2 coal deposits near my border (I was the first to discover the tech). I tried buying it, even giving them 2 other cities. They still refused. I would take it by force, but then I remembered you can re-negotiate the peacy treaty. Then I could buy the city for 1000 gold and some old tech almost everyone else had. I could have gotten it cheaper, but I wanted to keep the reputation loss to a minimum. War would have cost me a lot more.