Old November 28, 2001, 11:48   #1
Trifna
King

Local Time: 01:38
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Other little proof of cheating
Just wanted to point out this, which was in annother thread.

From AHO in the 999999 thread:
Quote:
The one circumstance in which I tried it was at the end of a war. We were discussing the peace treaty and I asked for 9999999 per turn on top of the treaty, and the AI agreed. I tried it again with all 1's and it worked too. It only works for one turn though. The computer freaks out if you try to keep getting it every turn and it won't recognize that you have any money in your coffers, which will result in you're having to sell off improvements to pay for your units. So, when you get the 11111111 gold pieces, you have to cancel the agreement (I just declared war against them again 'cuz I was winning handily) before the next turn.

So I guess this is a proof of cheating again?... I'd like Firaxis to say a little more on what is using the AI personnally...
Old November 28, 2001, 13:12   #2
Deathray
Warlord

Local Time: 17:38
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The only cheating there is being done by the player using the infinite gold bug exploit. If you're going to do that then any side effects (in this case your treasury overrunning) are your own stupid fault.
Old November 28, 2001, 13:16   #3
Blaupanzer
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 13:38
Strongly agree with Deathray. You tried to exploit a bug, and are now complainin because it blew the current game up? That's pathetic!
Old November 28, 2001, 13:18   #4
johnnyappleseid
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Deathray
The only cheating there is being done by the player using the infinite gold bug exploit. If you're going to do that then any side effects (in this case your treasury overrunning) are your own stupid fault.
I think what Trifna is saying (I could be wrong) is that the ai is able to give you an insane amount of money which it couldn't possibly actually have.
Old November 28, 2001, 13:56   #5
Sabre2th
King

Local Time: 13:38
Quote:
Originally posted by johnnyappleseid

I think what Trifna is saying (I could be wrong) is that the ai is able to give you an insane amount of money which it couldn't possibly actually have.
We're aware of that. The obvious fix to it is to not ask for that much money.
Old November 28, 2001, 15:40   #6
johnnyappleseid
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Sabre2th

We're aware of that. The obvious fix to it is to not ask for that much money.
But the significance of this is that perhaps the gold amount that the civ is showed as having is not representative of what it can actually spend.

For example, at certain points I have been trading several resources/luxuries to a civ, for, say, 20-30 gold per item. Whenever I bring up the diplomacy screen to talk to that civ, it always displays it as having zero gold in its coffers. Now, either the civ has found that perfect balance where income = cost, or that zero gold is just a pretty good estimate of what the civ can do, give or take, within reason.

I'm not sure I explained that very well, but I think you know what I mean. The civ is able to pay me, even though it probably doesn't have the money to do it.