Old November 28, 2001, 14:25   #1
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Local Time: 12:38
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Infogrames will never stop THE BALANCER
I am the co-author of one of the most popular modification files currently available for Civ III, the BALANCER. I have greatly enjoyed making this mod available for this community, I have made some new friends, improved a game I love, and generally had a lot of fun. In spite of some of the long and laborious hours of bugtesting, it's truly been a labor of love, and I plan on continuing this improving this file until it can be nary improved any more.
Unfortunatly, as Im sure you're all aware, there has been a recent hubub of Infogrames issuing lawsuits to those attempting to alter the game. I personally find this despicable, and I would like to ease any concerns that the project may be shut down for this reason. If Infogrames sees fit to issue me a cease and desist order, I shall fight them bitterly to the end. My girlfriend's father has a truly top-notch lawyer that would help me out, should worse come to worst. The Balancer shall not concede defeat to jack-booted corporate thugs so easily. It is sad that the creation community has come to this, but to quote Macbeth act III, scene V, "I shall fight until the flesh is hacked from my bones. Now hand me my armor." All I ask for all who have enjoyed using my mod to continue to do so, and to look forward to the 1.5 update this Friday. I think I speak for all the fine mod makers in thsi community when I say it will take much more than threats from from black-hearted corporate goons to break the spirit of the Civ creation community.
Old November 28, 2001, 14:38   #2
wotan321
Warlord

To Arms!! To Arms!
I have the pickup loaded with side-meat and dried beans. The ammo boxes are full and dry..... the night-vision goggles are next to me on the seat..... its time to head to the hills. To dig in.... to prepare to fight off the "Beast" of the "New World Order"..... to change the Privateer from an attack of 1 to 2..... this is our calling, and "the Man" isn't going to take from us, the loyal, God-fearing Civ Scenario Community, our right, our NATURAL RIGHT to change the Babylonian Bowman from a 2/1/2 to that 2/2/1 stat like they originally INTENDED!!!! Or was that the other way around...?

COME AND GET ME YOU CORPORATE VIPERS!!!!! AAAAAARRRgh!!!!!!

Now let us all rise and face in the direction of Sid! Repeat after me:

"I pledge allegiance, to the Tin, and the eternal Civ Scenario Community. And to the modifications, for which will stand, One Game, Unpatched, with honor and unity of Modmakers, forever!"
Old November 28, 2001, 15:17   #3
Elucidus
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4WDG StrategaC4WDG Huygen's UnionC4WDG Spamyard TeamC4WDG éirich tuireannC4WDG The GooniesC4WDG People's Army of the LadderC4WDG Calysium
Prince

Local Time: 11:38
Re: To Arms!! To Arms!
Quote:
Originally posted by wotan321
I
Dude, you have way too much energy, or way too much untapped brain power.
Old November 28, 2001, 15:41   #4
Libertarian
King

I'm not sure who just got whooshed, but somebody did.

With respect to customizations, it is simple: rights are an attribute of property. All rights with respect to Civ accrue to Infogrames. Period.
Old November 28, 2001, 15:47   #5
ThaddeusAlexander
Prince

Monkspider:

Boy are you taking your mod way to seriously ... or maybe you're giving yourself just too much of a pat on the back.

Vanity and self-righteousness are bad traits.

~A.
Old November 28, 2001, 16:04   #6
Kc7mxo
King

So if i replace the engine of my Volkswagen beetle with that of a ferrari, VW can sue me? uh. i don't think so.

what you do with what you bought is up to you. and I doubt that any copywright which attempts to say otherwise will have difficulty holding up in court.
Old November 28, 2001, 16:15   #7
Elucidus
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4WDG StrategaC4WDG Huygen's UnionC4WDG Spamyard TeamC4WDG éirich tuireannC4WDG The GooniesC4WDG People's Army of the LadderC4WDG Calysium
Prince

Local Time: 11:38
As far as I understand it and this is also on a per package basis. You don't buy software outright. You buy a license to use/operate that software. Legally they (the company who built/published it) own the software. You are not allowed to make any attempts to alter or decompile the software as you do not own it.

Any Mods (as we like to call them) would probably be the legal property of the company who made the game on technicalities, this depends of the agreement of course. This is because you are most likely reproducing the copywrited code/text that the game ships with. You would be sued so fast your head would spin if you ever tried to sell a mod without permission of the parent company.

I am not a lawyer or anything, this is just how I understand it.
Old November 28, 2001, 16:35   #8
taco
Settler

Local Time: 17:38
yeah, Kc7mxo , its more like renting a Beetle and tearing the engine out. Like Elucidus said, you dont own civ3, you own the right to use it.

That said, i think its HORRIBLE what infrograms did to that guy. Especially when modding the game is encouraged.
Old November 28, 2001, 16:39   #9
wotan321
Warlord

All kidding aside, Elucidus makes an important point.

I am no lawyer either, but as we know, folks have been making modpacks and tweaks to the Civ series for years and years. The trouble in Germany was probably because some fans innocently decided to make a change that the publisher had already hired someone else to do. No doubt a lot of money had already been invested in creating something that the fan-build mod would have rendered useless. Why buy the German version of the software next month when you can buy the English version today and apply their mod. All those CDs sitting on the shelves.... all that money and investment down the drain.....

Changing the privateer to a more powerful unit, or adding fascism isn't going to stop people from buying the game..... never has and the publisher has no reason to stop it.

The software and use of it is agreed upon by the purchaser. The publisher allows modpacks and scenarios to be created unimpeded because it actually ADDs value to their product.

So send your lawyer on retainer home....

..go play some Civ3. Its a lot of fun.
Old November 28, 2001, 17:13   #10
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 19:38
viva la revolution

meanwhile, please post in the right thread
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=35672