Old November 28, 2001, 17:54   #1
chocoballs
Settler

Local Time: 17:39
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Legal issues re: German translation
the front page indicated that there are now concerns regarding modding the game and what constitutes 'illegal borrowing' of the base code/graphics to spawn user generated civ packs or terrain packs or even rule packs.

I remember reading an interview during the dev stage of the game and somebody mentioning that they looked forward to seeing what the mod community can come up with.

that aside, and this is probably the wrong forum to ask,

where are the legal issues regarding the free translations?

is it because the site itself generates ad revenue and the translations may garner more traffic and thus make it more attractive for people to buy ads on the webspace.

then by that virtue, couldn't any fan based website that has an ad or two be accused of profiting off of the game publisher and developers work? fans go to great lengths to make their sites super cmprehensive if ftp servers and strat guides and all the expected goodies.

probably a dumb question but as a law ignorant person who is thinking about opening up a website of my own for whatever reason, i interested in knowing a tad more.

thanks
Old November 28, 2001, 17:55   #2
chocoballs
Settler

to clarify
somebody from firaxis mentioned that they looked forward to seeing a lively mod community
Old November 28, 2001, 18:38   #3
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 18:39
I expect privately a number of Firaxians are horrified at the Infogrames Jackboot approach to the mod community trying to get language mods out while Infogrames drag their feet. That the demand for fees was waived is a small hint that some attempt to climb down was made. The $10,000 penalty clause just goes to show that they still don't understand what a mod community is all about. I guess we are lucky they haven't thrown cease and desist orders at all the people listed on Apolytons download page and Apolyton itself.
Old November 28, 2001, 18:40   #4
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 10:39
I sure hope they don't use Infrogrames as a publisher anymore. These guys didn't do a very good job getting the game out. Forcing an unfinished product out, and by not including everything in the LE box.
Old November 28, 2001, 18:51   #5
Bakunine
Warlord

Well it seems the problem is that Deutsche Infogrames only gets $$$ from the copys they will be selling next year already translated. Probably Infogrames as a hole is just hoping that many people buy the english version and after the translated version.

If i was going to make a portuguese translation i would simply make it anonimously and then upload it to a couple of free web servers from one of the many net caffee's where you put coins to have time and no records are done. After that just pass the word to a couple of (reliable) friends of what i found here and there.

After what happened to Kai i doubt i will buy any Infogrames release in the next couple of years. Anyway im getting tired of giving 50$ to games that come in a DVD box without a printed manual.
Old November 28, 2001, 18:56   #6
Grumbold
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Bakunine
After what happened to Kai i doubt i will buy any Infogrames release in the next couple of years. Anyway im getting tired of giving 50$ to games that come in a DVD box without a printed manual.
I'm not sure what you are referring to. The US and UK versions of Civ 3 came in standard box with full manual. Is there a difference with other European releases?
Old November 28, 2001, 19:01   #7
Bakunine
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Grumbold

I'm not sure what you are referring to. The US and UK versions of Civ 3 came in standard box with full manual. Is there a difference with other European releases?
That part of my post was not refering to CIV III. Versions available here in Portugal are the US version. But now most of the games here are available only in DVD boxes without manual. It sucks! And then they put a huge stamp in the box saying. Condone piracy! Being truth gamer is to have the original game!
Old November 28, 2001, 19:06   #8
Grumbold
Emperor

Oh ok I quite agree that a .pdf is not an acceptable alternative, even if it is eco friendly.
Old November 28, 2001, 19:14   #9
Bakunine
Warlord

Yes it's eco friendly.

But it for sure is not good for publishers. They save a few pennies in each game but it for sure increases piracy. So they save 1 but loose 10. Or at least i think it does.
Old November 28, 2001, 19:21   #10
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 19:39
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=35672