Old November 29, 2001, 07:00   #1
mtgillespie
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 17:41
Local Date: October 31, 2010
captured city unhappiness
OK, so i captured a russian city (size 1) by invasion. I opened the city screen, and there's the one russian worker, unhappy as i expected. So i checked to see the reason, and it was 9% stop the persecution of my homeland (fair enough), and then a roughly 55% - 35% split between unhappy about the draft and unhappy about their poor treatment (I can't remember the exact phrase, but i assumed it was because they had had forced labour used there). I was a bit surprised about this, as it obviously wasn't me who had used the draft or forced labour on them, but i figured OK, maybe they'd still be unhappy about it. So i added a couple of my own workers to the city, so i'd get some production and so i outnumbered them, and blow me if they weren't unhappy about the draft and forced labour as well!

I can understand the original residents being unhappy about what was done to them, even though it wasn't by me (although i'm still not convinced it's right), but my own workers just taking on the problems of the city? Any one else think this is a bit strange to say the least?
Old November 29, 2001, 07:17   #2
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 19:41
did you re-check the stats on the same turn, immediatelly after adding the workers?
Old November 29, 2001, 07:23   #3
mtgillespie
Warlord

On that turn and a couple of turns later as well. I've had to crank up my luxuries rate to a ridiculous level to cope with just that one city, as if i leave it at the normal level either the city is always in revolt, and if i have all the citizens as entertainers they'll starve. I can't afford to leave it in revolt as i need to build a temple to avoid losing it to culture (and to help the unhappiness as well).
Old November 29, 2001, 07:29   #4
mtgillespie
Warlord

It seems fairly obvious from this that the unhappiness from the draft and/or forced labour is just a flag on the city. You must be able to have flags for different nationality citizens as well, hence the problems with foreign nationals who's civ you are at war with. To prevent this problem, though, you'd have to be able to combine the 2, which may not be trivial.
Old November 29, 2001, 08:30   #5
Kolyana
Warlord

Local Time: 11:41
I see this as a bug ... and a bad one at that. This game makes such a big deal of the nationality of the city residents - which is a nice touch - but obviously this scenario described should have had very different results.

Bad, bad bug.

~~ Shamelessly stolen from someone with talent.
Old November 29, 2001, 09:06   #6
MattHiggs
King

I haven't experienced this yet. Usually fortifying a Pikeman or Swordsman usually quells any unhappiness. I think it's because my culture is usually very high.
Old November 29, 2001, 09:38   #7
mtgillespie
Warlord

Military units work on resisting foreign nationals in a captured city. However, as i understand it they only work on unhappy citizens if your government is despotism, monarchy or communism a la Civ 2. I'm in democracy, so they don't help on that score.

Also, my culture is pretty high in this case. Obviously not in the newly captured city, but overall i think i'm only behind one other Civ, and it's not the russians who i got this City off. they are impressed by my culture.
Old November 29, 2001, 09:47   #8
MattHiggs
King

That'll be why then. I usually have Monarchy as my government.

Well there you go then, that is a way to erradicate the problem. So it isn't really a bug.
Old November 29, 2001, 09:51   #9
mtgillespie
Warlord

I'm not saying there aren't ways round the problem. What i'm saying is it doesn't make any sense for workers from your own civ that you add to a city being unhappy about the draft and unhappy about forced labour if those events happened before they arrived, while the city was part of another civilisation!
Old November 29, 2001, 09:52   #10
MattHiggs
King

People stay unhappy for a very long time. They didn't ask for you to march in.
Old November 29, 2001, 09:56   #11
mtgillespie
Warlord

The people i'm talking about aren't the ones i marched in on. They were my own workers, who i added to the city after i "acquired" it, and after the drafting and forced labour had been done (by the russians, not me). I can understand the original citizens still being unhappy.
Old November 29, 2001, 09:58   #12
MattHiggs
King

Oh I see what you mean now.
Old November 29, 2001, 10:04   #13
mtgillespie
Warlord

Like i said, i was surprised at first that the original occupants were still upset at what had been done, as they now had a lovely beneficient ruler rather than the previous evil tyrant , but after thinking about it for a while, i would maybe keep the unhappiness, but halve the number of turns left that it lasts for if a new ruler takes over. They'd still be unhappy, but not at you, so not for as long.
Old November 29, 2001, 10:05   #14
Kolyana
Warlord

Quote:
So it isn't really a bug.
So, you stonk a city and the people are unhappy. Ofcourse they are.

You put one of your incredibly happy citizens into it, and they immediately turn unhappy, complain about a draft that they never saw and for you invading 'their homeland'.

Oh yeah, that's not a bug alright.

~~ Shamelessly stolen from someone with talent.
Old November 29, 2001, 10:20   #15
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 19:41
Quote:
Originally posted by mtgillespie
The people i'm talking about aren't the ones i marched in on. They were my own workers, who i added to the city after i "acquired" it, and after the drafting and forced labour had been done (by the russians, not me). I can understand the original citizens still being unhappy.
all the complaining citizens show the same reasons. you see the collective average numbers for the entire city
Old November 29, 2001, 10:46   #16
Venger
King

Definite bug, and for the obvious reasons. Surely settling new citizens in the new city should give you citizens that aren't pissed about the homeland, the draft, or the persecution of your homeland.

Now, the question is, after adding these two workers, were they also unhappy (it seems they were), AND, were they unhappy for any other reason at all (did the percentages change and also include the "way too crowded" bit?

Venger
Old November 29, 2001, 11:38   #17
mtgillespie
Warlord

When the city was size 1, just the original russian citizen, the numbers were (roughly), 10% unhappy because i was at war with russia, plus 35% and 55%, one from the draft and one from the forced labour, but i can't remember which way round. After i added 2 workers of mine, so i now had a city size of 3, i had also made peace with russians, as i'd reached my objective, and my figures were now roughly 60% and 40%, draft and forced labour. That was all 3 citizens unhappy until i played around with the luxuries rate and had one as an entertainer. I only checked once more a couple of turns later, and it was the same percentages. After that i just kept checking every turn one whether they were happier or not, without checking the reasons. If i remember rightly, it's 20 turns of unhappiness for both those events, but as i have no idea when they happened i don't know how long i've got to put up with it for.