Old November 29, 2001, 08:42   #1
MattHiggs
King

Local Time: 17:41
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The Bloody Germans

They are the bane of my Civ 3 life. They are always so aggressive. They attack me when we have supposedly signed a peace agreement. Come on, leave me alone!
Old November 29, 2001, 08:55   #2
jbavon
Chieftain

In my games the Germans, Russians and Romans always seem to get themselves exterminated (and not by my hand either). I think their aggressiveness is their weakness.
Old November 29, 2001, 09:05   #3
MattHiggs
King

I love the Ruskies! I always trade with them, swap resources etc...
Old November 29, 2001, 09:08   #4
Crom
Chieftain

I know what you mean. Just when I thought we've reached an understanding and some sort of stalemate Otto turns up and razes my best city.

So, "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em".

-Now playing as Germany, those tanks are quite handy.
Old November 29, 2001, 09:11   #5
MattHiggs
King

I have quite alot of troubles getting units afetr I get the techs. I can just never get the resources... any tips?
Old November 29, 2001, 09:18   #6
Crom
Chieftain

Hi Matt,

I'm the last person who should be dishing out any Civ advice. The only reason I can get hold of resources I need is because I'm still playing on Chieftain.

I keep trying Warlord (German or otherwise) and just get pasted every time. I really do suck.

I love this game, but I was a lot better at Civ II.
Old November 29, 2001, 09:21   #7
Crom
Chieftain

I have found that if I mine any metal resources they do seem to disappear much more often than if just leave them alone.
Old November 29, 2001, 09:23   #8
raiseupx
Settler

Local Time: 11:41
i havent had any problems with the germans yet. but usually i go war mode and wipe em out before they can touch me
Old November 29, 2001, 09:29   #9
Grim Legacy
Prince

Local Time: 18:41
As long as you are stronger than they are, they know how to behave.

They are my neighbours this time around and I must admit I had to execute a few corrective actions to get them to their proper size. =]
Old November 29, 2001, 10:12   #10
MattHiggs
King

Usually I am culturaly stronger and more scientifically advanced. But I never have a huge army, I think this is where I am going wrong.
Old November 29, 2001, 10:40   #11
mr.buddylee
Chieftain

Quote:
Usually I am culturaly stronger and more scientifically advanced. But I never have a huge army, I think this is where I am going wrong.
Yeah, I think it is.

Its amazing to me how other countries treat me when I have a large army. My strategy for a large part of the game is to keep a very small army, work on city improvements, and buy allies when I need them. During this time, I really have to be careful when I'm dealing with other countries. I try to trade with my neighbors as much as possible to keep them on my good side.

Now, when I start getting tanks though and 6 or 7 of my cities can churn them out every 4 turns and I have 40 - 50 tanks rolling around, the AI is a little bit nicer.

They agree to things much more easily, and at a lower cost, and now all of them are at least polite and the ones I have MPP (I think thats what they're called) are gracious, even if they are close to me in culture or size.

So basically, they tend to leave me alone if I'm nice and small, and they tend to leave me alone if I'm big. Soooo.. Be nice and small or big and you should be ok. (Except for the Zulus. They are just huge pains. I hate the Zulu!)
Old November 29, 2001, 10:43   #12
raiseupx
Settler

i prefer to keep a good army the whole game, that way you can push around the weak civs for what you want you dont have to bother with being nice
Old November 29, 2001, 11:12   #13
xane
Chieftain

Germans are agressive and have the Panzer - bad news - that's why I like to play them

I think the Germans are Civ3's Mongols-with-nukes.
Old November 29, 2001, 16:31   #14
G.A
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:41
Though all other AIs seem to be aware of the Panzers coming for their butts in the future, and so, Germans never survived until they could build them in any of my games, totally without my assistance btw
Old November 29, 2001, 16:41   #15
Special_Olympic
Chieftain

Germans is the side I usually play.
Old November 29, 2001, 17:16   #16
mr.buddylee
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by G.A
Though all other AIs seem to be aware of the Panzers coming for their butts in the future, and so, Germans never survived until they could build them in any of my games, totally without my assistance btw
I have never had the AI wipe out another civilization by itself. I wonder why that is. The AI usually fights a puny little war and then demands peace.

I guess I might have something to do with it because I have a tendency to take over weaker civs. I might have to try a game where I avoid war, but then again....
Old November 29, 2001, 18:17   #17
sophist
Prince

In my games, that's usually how it works. I generally get an ally in on a war to distract my target civ (hopefully on the opposite side of them, so they don't get my targetted cities/resources). Then I chew up from one end, the ally from the other. Once I gain my objectives, I make peace and get all the tribute (instant preferred over per-turn) I can. Then I go back to being a builder. Meanwhile my ally will continue to wage war, often eliminating that civ. Meanwhile I have a dozen or two extra turns of peace and I've also gotten some goodies.

Quote:
Originally posted by mr.buddylee

I have never had the AI wipe out another civilization by itself. I wonder why that is. The AI usually fights a puny little war and then demands peace.

I guess I might have something to do with it because I have a tendency to take over weaker civs. I might have to try a game where I avoid war, but then again....
Old November 30, 2001, 04:57   #18
LaRusso
King

i hate bismarck so much that i'm gonna switch to playing germans only. bastards are just too belligerent. shaka is also kinda painful but not too bad. english are just plain aryan and americans are really hyper all the time. still, no one beats bismarck...that guy just craves for blood.

as for AI wars, they are really brutal and wiping out is more than common. usually they gang on one civ and rip it to shreds in 10-15 turns, then colonize and repop its territory.

late games battles are incredibly cool. watching massive tank battles is like watching a good war movie, bombers providing for some carpet bombing effects. when they fix air superiority, it will be perfect....
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old December 2, 2001, 15:41   #19
G.A
Chieftain

By the way, English are much more annoying if you live near them due to their sheer Man-O-War obsession which leads to the daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn long turns
Old December 2, 2001, 15:50   #20
Blisterz
Chieftain

Germans aggressive? Well yes they are, but are we forgeting the zulus? I have never lived near the zulus without having a war with them at least by the end of the middle ages... Now I just get everyone to go to way with the Zulus early... just to be safe.
Old December 2, 2001, 17:39   #21
Avahz_D

Dont
forget 2 things.

If you have a spy in the cities of the other empirs your military advisor will tell you how your military compaires to theirs. Always shoot for average or stronger...

ALSO dont forget to draft a few conscripts if you need to look bigger than what you really are. The other empires dont know the difference between a conscript defender than a fully trained one... You may be a paper dragon but it helps to keep those pesky germans and zulus off your back untill you can get a real military force up....