Old November 29, 2001, 12:59   #1
sboog
Warlord

Local Time: 13:42
Local Date: October 31, 2010
How can one play short games?
I am finding that it is hard to play a long game over several days. Things get too spread out over time and over the map, and I forget what goals and strategy I was going for yesterday.

Is there some way to play a short game? This applies to Civ1, Civ2, and Civ3 as I am playing all three some.

Are there some short term strategies? Or ways of winning your goal even if you don't conquer the world or build the space ship?

I would like to play for a couple of hours - and complete something. Then start fresh the next time.

I love Civ1, Civ2, and Civ3 - but especially Civ1.

sboog
Old November 29, 2001, 13:59   #2
Purple
Prince

Local Time: 12:42
Civ, SMAC, etc. can get tedious if you are mainly interested in the exploration and early settlement. If you want a shorter game, you could try smaller maps, which speed up contact with other civs and thus make earlier conflict a possibility. Or you could set a self-imposed time limit. That is, stop playing at a pre-determined year and check your scores at that point. Hard to do, though, since you'll probably want to play "just one more turn."
Old November 29, 2001, 14:19   #3
Locus
Chieftain

I feel the same way. I used the game editor to allow 16 Civs on any map size. If you want a short, intense game, play on small planet with all 16 civs. You'll spend less time building since every civ is helping terraform the planet. Diplomacy is a must for research since every civ will probably have a small number of cities. You can set specific goals at every gaming session now like...take over all 4 Russian cities etc.

For all those *****ing about how the game doesn't play the way you want...especially with combat...just use the game editor to make the game play the way you want it to. With combat, if you tweak the attack and defense values of modern units higher, you won't have modern units losing to ancient units.
Old November 29, 2001, 16:14   #4
Rasbelin
Emperor

Local Time: 19:42
Play on a small map with large continents. Don't forget to use maximum amount of civs.
Old November 29, 2001, 18:20   #5
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 11:42
Yup, basically a small map + lots of civs + 1 continent should do it.
Old November 29, 2001, 18:29   #6
sboog
Warlord

Local Time: 13:42
But I'm not that good a player. All those Civs?? It will indeed be a short game because I will be demolished in no time.

This is not what I had in mind.

I wanted a way to play with short term goals - hopefully achieve those - and learn each time I play. The long games are exhausting and never ending.

You veterans of Civ can handle all those Civs. I'm not sure I can. Not yet.

I want to learn - little by little- have fun each day - and grow with the game. But keep the game short. Is there a way to do this?

sboog
Old November 29, 2001, 18:58   #7
Ray K
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by sboog
But I'm not that good a player. All those Civs?? It will indeed be a short game because I will be demolished in no time.
You forget that they will be demolishing each other, as well.

One of the funnest games I played was Tiny map, 16 civs, 80% pangaea. Half the map was terraformed by the AI, not me. Very few naval units and never built a settler.
Old November 29, 2001, 19:36   #8
ThaddeusAlexander
Prince

I agree that a tiny map with lots of civs can be fun ... the best way to do this is to use the editor and make sure no civ can build settlers, only workers ... colonies and your culture become crucial for success !

The only problem is, the first civ to conquer another city gets a major advantage, so if you want a fast but more peaceful game, you don't want to try this.

But i played a few games like this and i suggest everyone try it Outlaw settlers and have fun - city states 4 ever!!

Cheers and Good Gaming
~Alex

(ps, get those goody huts on this type of map! an extra early settler this way, or another city, can be crucial!)