Old November 29, 2001, 22:23   #1
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

Local Time: 12:43
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Who's the oldest vet still here?
I know Fitz and Googlie have been here recently, but I haven't seen too many others from a while back. HP left IIRC four or five months ago, so scratch that.

So Vel, Fitz, Googlie...anyone else? or is that all for the AC faithful from way back?
Old November 29, 2001, 23:55   #2
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 10:43
{waves cane}

Seems surprising to me to hear that Fitz is a vet. What was his former name?

There are still a few .owo types around. Most have moved on to other games.
Old November 30, 2001, 00:01   #3
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

Well, acording to registration date i have been here longer than wiglaf, but I do not feel like a veteran.
From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"
Old November 30, 2001, 00:02   #4
Yxklyx
Warlord

Local Time: 17:43
BTW, when did SMAC come out?
Old November 30, 2001, 00:28   #5
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

I remember when I was a newbie too terrified to post lest I say something that one of the old salts would regard as stupid! So....I lurked here for prolly two months before it dawned on me that this wasn't "that kind of place"....that new posters were welcomed as just part of the gang.....so eventually, I opened my mouth, and then nobody 'round here could shut me back up....

-=Vel=-
(still here!)
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old November 30, 2001, 01:23   #6
Ned
King

Local Time: 09:43
I joined two years ago just after I purchased SMAC. The guys here were really into discovering the intricacies of the game's various formula's and listing all the bugs for Firaxis to fix. I think Firaxis actually paid attention to us then.

Ned
Old November 30, 2001, 11:44   #7
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 10:43
Many of the vets are still active in the Multiplayer forum, but only occasionally visit here.

A quick perusal of the profiles reveals (and I apologize in advance if I have inadvertently omitted someone):

March 1999: Fistandantilus
April: Googlie, Vel and cousLee
May: Flo and JAMiAM
June: RedFred and Hydro
July: M@ni@c
August: Dilithium Dad
October: Ned and Buster
November: Tau Ceti
December: Misotu

Some of these are more active in the parallel forums (Fist, cous, Flo and JAM over at ACOL and Buster at CGN)

::grows misty-eyed:: then there were the grizzlied OWO vets - Bossman, CEO Bernard, Blue, Imram, et al ...........

G.
Old November 30, 2001, 11:59   #8
Earwicker
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Well, if longevity equates to "vet" status, I'll join the ranks. My housemate got me SMAC the week it was released and I moved over from the old Civ2 forums to look for de-bugging help.

Who, then would qualify as the "Commando"?
Old November 30, 2001, 12:20   #9
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 14:43
the people who it says registered in 1969...
Old November 30, 2001, 13:57   #10
Fitz
King

Who are you calling a vet? You wanna step outside?

I'm not really a vet, just someone who loves the procedural/analytical side of the game and makes the occasional big noise in the forums. I never even saw ACOL until after it had turned into a general forum.

Unfortunately for my SMAXing days, I just bought Civ3. But since I'm the only one of a group of 5 friends who are SMAXers, and it doesn't have MP yet, I'm sure I'll be playing some for quite a while.
Old November 30, 2001, 14:15   #11
mark13
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Being a relative newcomer to the forums, it's always interesting to see the progress of things before your time. Thing is, the .owo forums were the original SMAC forums - when they died, people flocked away, some to ACOL, and some here to Apolyton.

Ah well. Another couple of years, and I'll no doubt be one of the SMAC vets at the Civ3 forums...
Old November 30, 2001, 21:18   #12
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

Woah, lots of you are still here.

It's just that, it seems like a lot are leaving as flocks of new civ3 fans come in. Just curious to see if the 'established' community was still checking in every once in a while.

Civ3 general is a MESS, topics are bumped down to the second page in about ten minutes! Before release, it took five or six hours. In many ways, it looks like traffic has picked up here as well, not that that's a bad thing at all. Anyhoo, just making sure.
Old November 30, 2001, 22:09   #13
Basilisk
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:43
Local Date: November 1, 2010
A lot of people won't be flocking to CIV3 because of the huge problems, and the huge processing power and amount of ram required to run it smoothly.
Old December 1, 2001, 19:34   #14
JAMiAM
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Basilisk
A lot of people won't be flocking to CIV3 because of the huge problems, and the huge processing power and amount of ram required to run it smoothly.
Not to mention, that with respect to MP, IMO Civ3 is hopelessly broken.
Old December 1, 2001, 19:42   #15
MariOne
King

Local Time: 19:43
Apolygies accepted, Googlie, and you forgot Aredhran too, part of the group (with cousLee, Goob, Nell, Raspy...) who came here almost together when MarkG opened the AC Multiplaying Forum on OUR request...

Now, I don't think I will move on to other games, when so much time gets invested in a game that has infinite MP replayability, I am not exaclty keen to start learning another one, if it's not extremely appealing.

For sure, CivIII has nothing to do with SMAC, and I begin to wonder if "culture" and "resources" alone are enough to make it a significant improvement over CivII. Frankly, I begin to think that it's just a minor variant to it after all, I'd call it rather Civ 2.64...
For me, so far, apart the curiosity for the novelty, it hasn't more appeal than civII in gameplay.

Now, IF only we could finally see S!SG development start moving again... and then there's MoO3 underway, and infogrames promised that if CivIII was succesful they would have considered MoM2! (please hire someone else than firaxis tho...)

MoSe

PS: did Bossman ever *play* the game actually? I think he just used to "play the forums", rather...
Old December 1, 2001, 22:36   #16
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 14:43
I guess I'm a veteran lurker... does that count?
Old December 2, 2001, 12:50   #17
Hydro
ACDG3 GaiansApolyton Storywriters' GuildSporePolyCast Team
King

Wow! Me placed with the likes of the illustrious Vel and Googlie, just to name a very few! It is hard to believe that the game has been around for 2.5 years, and it is even harder to believe that so many others and I are still actively interested in the game. Normally a game is a semi- or long-forgotten antique by now. I have to say that multiplayer has reinvigorated my activity in SMAX, and that the Fiction Forum is a long-standing favorite of mine.

Hydro
Old December 2, 2001, 16:48   #18
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 19:43
Oh my! I'm considered a "vet". I'm honoured. Only a shame I know almost none of the other vets personally. Says something about the frequency I come here I guess.
Old December 2, 2001, 23:17   #19
Enigma
Prince

Not quite sure when I registered... nice to see all the oldbies still here.
Old December 3, 2001, 08:40   #20
aaglo
King

Local Time: 20:43
It's funny...

The first time I visited Apolyton was when SMAC was released (I just can't remember when it was), but I never registered on apolyton (due to various reasons). I visited here often, but registered only on aug 2001, which makes me a newbie. But I don't feel like it.

So I'm not a vet, even though I am old - but surely not the oldest.
Old December 5, 2001, 06:22   #21
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 05:43
Local Date: November 1, 2010
So... what do you call a new guy to posting (started about a week ago when I found all this whilst bored mindless at work), but a regular Apolyton visitor (since '97), and someone who started on Civ in '91, and since has got and played through what must be THOUSANDS of hours of Civ, Civ2 +both expansion packs, SMAC, CTP, SMAC-X and now Civ3? Only one I haven't got is CTP2, due to horrendous CTP experience.

So, does my "silent" experience prove veteranship?
Old December 5, 2001, 06:30   #22
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

I remember coming here by following links when I got Smac but like aaglo didn't register. It wasn't till I got around to getting Smax that I finally decided to register. I must say that the OT kind of sucked me up too.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh