Old November 30, 2001, 07:19   #1
EEKthedog
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:44
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Bug in obsolete units?
I am in the modern age with the persians now, and i can still make a warrior
And of course also an immortal. I think it has something to do with warriors normally being upgraded to a swordsman, but can't be upgraded to an immortal, so they are never made obsolete.
I also think an Aztec can make their special unit in the modern age too.
I can understand that last part if you want the golden age to be triggered later. But the first one seems to be the result of lack of betatesting.
Old November 30, 2001, 07:34   #2
Crom
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:44
I think you can still make the very basic units late on in a game just in case you have no access to any resources.
Old November 30, 2001, 07:47   #3
EEKthedog
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:44
I have acces to all recourses.

I can make a marine, infantry AND a warrior now.
Come on that's just plain silly.
Old November 30, 2001, 10:02   #4
KloePoek
Settler

Local Time: 17:44
here's a solution... in the editor, set the upgrade option of the units you want to make obsolete (like frigates, warriors, longbowmen, etc) to the unit when you want to make them obsolete (longbowmen are obs with riflemen for example, all the midage ships with the destroyer)

but now the trick... make sure the units ability to upgrade is UNCHECKED (to the right there's what they can do, pillage fortify etc etc. you should uncheck the upgrade checkbox)

now the AI can't build it anymore, and any old building queues etc are automatically changed. He also can't upgrade the unit, so they will die eventually (or end up in a museum... LOL when you find that fortified warrior you built in 3500 BC kicks everyone's butt when that city is attacked in 1980 )

i don't know if you don't have the resources for the obsoleting unit, if you can still build the old one, i guess you can (but at least this prevents the AI from building caravels and frigates when they can build carriers and transports
Old November 30, 2001, 11:50   #5
Wolfgang76
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:44
Silly units..
Ok, I understand why they left some in as you might need them if you lose resources but come on. Once you get Rifleman you can build them without resources so why would I build a swordman or worse yet a warrior? Sure the rifleman isnt as good as mech or tanks but in a bad war its better than the others listed. All this does is clutter up my buying screen.

2cents
Old December 4, 2001, 20:18   #6
Jezz
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:44
Bump. Seems a lot of people are wondering about this.

Just to restate KloePoek:

Eg: Warrior. Take the pull down box that lets you choose the unit to upgrade to and set it at the level you want the warrior to become obsolete. (Rifleman or musketman are both fine)

BUT don't check the "upgrade" box on the right hand side.

The result should be that warriors disapper from the build queue once you discover riflemen.
Old December 4, 2001, 20:27   #7
simwiz2
Warlord

Local Time: 12:44
of course firaxis could have done the exact same thing before they sold us the game

i would fix it myself but um having too much fun smashing the brand-new AI swordsmen with my modern armors

The Simwiz2 Combat Mod Version 2.0 is available for download! See the changes here. You can download it from the CivFanatics Thread or the Apolyton Thread.
Old December 4, 2001, 20:37   #8
Herder
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:44
Does anyone know offhand if this creates another problem? I dont' have Civ on this computer and cant check but...

What if you had the resource and then lost the resource?

Would you then be able to build infantry?

I know a human *may* be able to compensate for the fact that it can no longer build mech infantry (say they lost their source of oil) but surely this would destroy the AI.
Old December 4, 2001, 21:58   #9
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 13:44
Losing Resource
Your Infantry would then become Rifleman (if you have Nationalism, which is an optional tech) as that doen't need any Resources. If you didn't have Nationalism, then it would then become Musketman (if you have saltpeter). If you don't have Saltpeter, then if becomes a Pikeman (if you have Iron). If you don't have anything, then your going to be building Spearman.
Of course, you can upgrade them when you get the proper resource available ( that is, if your still around ....).