Old November 30, 2001, 19:55   #1
johnnyappleseid
Settler

Local Time: 17:46
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Lighthouse More than it Appears?
Early on in my newest game I decided to rush for The Great Lighthouse, planning to be a sea powerhouse and get first chance at any empty islands. I was able to build it easily, and quickly mapped out my own continent ... and that's about it. As luck would (or wouldn't) have it, I didn't have anywhere else to explore, because the sea squares didn't reach out far enough.

Deciding it was a lost cause, I threw caution to the wind and put my four galleys on a suicide course into the unknown. And they survived! Actually, they kept on surviving. I was able to cross the equivalent of the atlantic ocean with all of them, made first contact with several strange tribes, and promptly killed them.

With this wonderous lighthouse I have never once lost a galley in the ocean, even though the civilopedia mentions only sea squares are accessible.

Has anyone else noticed this, or did I just luck out hugely? Or, perhaps I misunderstand the civilopedia (doubtful)?
Old November 30, 2001, 20:29   #2
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 10:46
Everyone's experienced the same thing. At the last minute Firaxis decided that the Lighthouse just extending galley's movement to the seas wasn't enough and allowed them to traverse the oceans with no problem.

It's been covered before, but that was almost a month ago.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old November 30, 2001, 20:30   #3
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

I noticed this too, and thought it just a little curious. I didn't say anything, because I can't swear to not having had Navigation or Magnetism by that point, but now you say so too - seems a little odd. That's an incredibly bright lighthouse...
"They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara
Old November 30, 2001, 20:33   #4
johnnyappleseid
Settler

Well, if it's the case that the lighthouse gives you the power to cross the ocean, then in my mind it becomes a much more important wonder. Definitely justifies its high cost early in the game.
Old November 30, 2001, 21:13   #5
Pyrodrew
Prince

Local Time: 09:46
It says this in the Civilopedia... can cross sea/ocean, so it is exactly what it appears. The Lighthouse in Civ2 was awful, Civ3 Lighthouse in essence has Columbus & Ponce de Leon waiting to set sail for you. Now it's one of the best wonders in the game!
Old November 30, 2001, 21:26   #6
johnnyappleseid
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Pyrodrew
It says this in the Civilopedia... can cross sea/ocean, so it is exactly what it appears.
Hmm, no. At least in my copy of the game, the civilopedia says "Galleys can move safely in and out of sea squares, and all naval unit movement rates are increased by one."
Old December 1, 2001, 17:07   #7
Evil_Eric_4
Warlord

Local Time: 12:46
But I thought galley cant travel the open ocean because they will founder in heavy seas(the oar holes too low).Not because they would get lost.
galleys were always coastal vessels regardless of whether there was a compass on board.