Old November 30, 2001, 20:23   #1
Control Freak
Settler

Local Time: 12:47
Local Date: October 31, 2010
A question about the United Nations Vote
I play the Germans way too much and end up Conquesting once I get the Panzer so I haven't built nor has the AI had the chance to build the UN as of yet.

Does the society that builds it usually get voted in (and thus wins)? Also I'm assuming that there is no need for a player to vote (because we would all vote for ourselves) but do you get to see the results if no one gets the 2/3? So you could sway the countries that didn't vote for you? How often is the vote held

Boiling it down I just want someone to give me the low-down on how this wonder works in the game.

Thx
Old November 30, 2001, 20:37   #2
Sevorak
Warlord

Local Time: 17:47
When the UN is built, the builder of the UN chooses when there will be a vote for the secretary general.

When the UN builder chooses to hold a vote, up to three Candidates are selected.

-The builder of the UN is automatically one
-Any civilization with 25% or more of the world's territory
-Any civilization with 25% or more of the world's population

Each surviving civilization gets one vote, to vote on any one Candidate or to abstain. A simple majority of surviving civilizations wins. However, there must be a majority of civilizations - abstentions count as votes against all candidates, so if there were 13 civs and 2 candidates, a candidate would only win with 8 votes FOR that candidate - if one candidate got 2, the other 1, and ten civilizations abstained, then there would be no majority found.

The UN builder may choose to hold a vote once every twenty turns. You ARE given a vote since voting for yourself may not necessarily be an option (if you're not a candidate). Swaying countries usually is a matter of packaging giant bribes to them over the course of the game to make them all Gracious to you, their attitude will generally determine their vote.

-Sev
Old November 30, 2001, 20:57   #3
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 10:47
Control Freak, don't listen to Sevorak.*

When the UN comes to town, things get really interesting if you play your cards right (and don't mind winning/losing the game 'too early'). The last game I played I built the UN, not really knowing how it worked. The first vote was tied: 3 for Babylon (me), 3 for Rome, 3 abstaining. Being ahead on culture and somewhat ahead on cashola, I greased the wheels of the abstainers that I was on reasonable terms with, using techs and some of that cash. The only aggression I applied was culture bombing, which the AI doesn't seem to mind at all.

I didn't count the turns, but I think it was a lot less than twenty when the next vote came up. I won, but continued playing until I built the star ship.

(Warlord level game)

*Too much knowledge (unless you're really hurtin') can lessen your enjoyment of the game.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old December 1, 2001, 04:30   #4
Raleigh
Warlord

Local Time: 12:47
Also I think you will only get 2 powers unless you rank 1 in Pop or territory.

Example: I was #2 in land & territory. The Iroquois were #1 in both land and territory. The 3rd strongest power (Russia) built the UN. So, I figured, great, Russia is definitely in and Iroquois are definitely in, but the Iroquois can't hog 2 out of three positions, so I must be in! NO! You need to be #1 in either land or territory (so far as I could guess) to be in the vote (or have built the UN).
Old December 2, 2001, 15:27   #5
G.A
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:47
Well, I once had 4 of 4 civs being candidates

Guess what was the result?
Old December 2, 2001, 15:37   #6
tomcat ha
Warlord

Local Time: 18:47